Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 04:55 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'll end up paying more on Medicare for monthly premiums than I have on the ACA. Possibly triple the amount.
We pay the standard Medicare premium of 148.50 , 91 bucks a month for a high deductible f plan , and 13 a month for part d .

Our supplement has silver sneakers so we no longer pay 45 a month for the gym .so it is like half our premium covers our gym .

We have the standard Medicare deductible and typically lay out under 1k in total medical items because we have a high deductible f plan .

Even with 250k in covid bills for the two of us we shelled out under 1k for both of us

That is compared to 800 a month for my silver plan and a 4800 out of pocket.

It is a huge savings

Old 11-10-2021, 05:03 PM

166 posts, read 156,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Hey if you don’t want what is legally yours for the taking then don’t take it .Complaining about what others can legally get is a waste of time . I wouldn’t waste my time replying to what you posted

I wasn't complaining. Interesting you are viewing it as such. Touched a nerve, eh? I can easily get subsidies which is a great comforting to me. I am trying to provide people an education and open their minds to alternatives so they can make their own decisions which are hopefully not fully based upon whether it is legal.

I qualify for food stamps but there is no point since I grow my own fruits and vegetables and live near a very inexpensive Grocery Outlet which has a good assortment of inexpensive health food. There are other options for us and I find them more desirable

Oh by the way, i did accept food stamps once. Used them to buy fruit trees. Never need to even water these things!

Old 11-10-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
OnProbation I hope that you are making a bad joke when you talk about drinking and driving. That'll catch up to you one day. Maybe you'll get pulled over, tossed in jail for a day or two, then have to pay to get your car back from the towing yard. You'll have the expense of court, the ASAP class and maybe you'll even lose your license.

I won't even get into the horrible things that can happen if you have an accident and wind up hurting yourself and/or someone else.

Uber is way, way cheaper. There is no excuse these days to be driving around under the influence.

We have no Uber drivers here and we live remotely. Hardly anyone on the road when I choose to do this. When I drink, it's not often. A little knowledge to make the decision is always helpful, thank you. When I lived in the city no way would I do this. Overall, here in Commiefornia, they are just drooling to make arrests.

Last edited by OnProbation; 11-10-2021 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-10-2021, 08:55 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
Policy Changes- Low income!!!!!!!

1. Senior Medicaid Asset & Income limits now align with the under 65 crowd. Eligibility was 120% of the Federal poverty level, now raised to 138% with no asset test.

2. No RMD's for retirement accounts 100K or under. Ok this isn't a go yet... the bill has has widespread bipartisan support just as raising the RMD age to 72 did. I assume this would be allowed for only one retirement account.

3. Lower Cost internet via the Infrastructure Bill. Requires all providers offer low cost plans to low income individuals. Living remotely is really one of the only ways to rent or buy an inexpensive modest house however it comes with the high cost of Satellite Internet. Ours is $155 a month for slow satellite & a voice over IP line (business telephone)

Using Christian Healthcare sharing ministries for $200 a mo. per couple, & 5k deductible, as first payer is good. It's our plan. It covers up to $225k per diagnosis/incident. If income is kept to 2k or below, that leaves $1600 a month to live on and keeps eligibility for medicaid intact to cover routine office visits, drugs, and sometimes, some states offer a free dental cleaning & 1 cavity filled per yr. We don't see Doctors, eat healthy so it would more likely be an emergency we'd need to pay for. An accident of such.

Engaging in a somewhat self sustaining lifestyle in a paid off modest home, in a cheaper remote area, with a small emergency fund (retirement acct), yes it can be pulled off easier for the min wage worker now. Or a former min wage worker who is now retired
These are all good things, and increases much needed help to the low income workers (not just those who don't really work). Internet is no longer a luxury. It's like a utility and necessary to function well in the modern world. Example: Last year I went through two hurricanes and was evacuated for a month. I was able to pay my bills, file my insurance claim, submit invoices to the insurer, communicate with others from my disaster area, all through the internet. And who doesn't know we have huge issues with healthcare for all citizens in our country? It's great you're living a healthy lifestyle. Bad things happen, but living a healthy lifestyle goes a long way to prevent the bad medical issues under our control.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
(snip)

Drinking and driving should be legal. No difference if I have a beer before i leave the house then while driving. Being drunk, of course, that's a different story. In the 70's, when you were arrested for drunk driving, you really were drunk.

Yes, there is a difference. Every alcoholic drink impairs a person to some degree. I saw a test on participants on tv some years ago. People had a drink and didn't think they were impaired. Then their responses and judgments were measured against the physical tests they took before the drink. They were definitely impaired. One impairment I remember is their reaction time to anything sudden was measurably slower.

One impairment of drinking, of course, is one's judgment. A drinking person is not in a position to judge whether he's impaired, since the act of drinking has impaired his judgment, in the first place. (This is why you never ask a drinking person if he's okay to drive, because if he's impaired, he can't judge that accurately.)

Quote:
The best advice is to not drive a vehicle of any kind if alcohol or other drugs are consumed.
Impairment starts with the first drink. Even one drink of alcohol can affect a person’s ability to
operate a motor vehicle.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...olanddrugs.pdf

I weigh about 115 lbs. One 12 oz beer would put me over the legal limit for drinking while driving in some states.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:30 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We pay the standard Medicare premium of 148.50 , 91 bucks a month for a high deductible f plan , and 13 a month for part d .

Our supplement has silver sneakers so we no longer pay 45 a month for the gym .so it is like half our premium covers our gym .

We have the standard Medicare deductible and typically lay out under 1k in total medical items because we have a high deductible f plan .

Even with 250k in covid bills for the two of us we shelled out under 1k for both of us

That is compared to 800 a month for my silver plan and a 4800 out of pocket.

It is a huge savings
Maybe for some - for us, we are currently paying $200/mo with low co-pays for 3 people (would be $50/mo without kid in school). Under Medicare, we will pay IRMAA that will at least double cost to 297 each, 594 as a couple and may hit 386 ea / 772 couple w/ RMD - that is 3 tp 4x the cost.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Yes, there is a difference. Every alcoholic drink impairs a person to some degree. I saw a test on participants on tv some years ago. People had a drink and didn't think they were impaired. Then their responses and judgments were measured against the physical tests they took before the drink. They were definitely impaired. One impairment I remember is their reaction time to anything sudden was measurably slower.

One impairment of drinking, of course, is one's judgment. A drinking person is not in a position to judge whether he's impaired, since the act of drinking has impaired his judgment, in the first place. (This is why you never ask a drinking person if he's okay to drive, because if he's impaired, he can't judge that accurately.)

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...olanddrugs.pdf

I weigh about 115 lbs. One 12 oz beer would put me over the legal limit for drinking while driving in some states.
I think you missed this one..https://www.city-data.com/forum/62291544-post33.html

Old 11-11-2021, 02:20 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Maybe for some - for us, we are currently paying $200/mo with low co-pays for 3 people (would be $50/mo without kid in school). Under Medicare, we will pay IRMAA that will at least double cost to 297 each, 594 as a couple and may hit 386 ea / 772 couple w/ RMD - that is 3 tp 4x the cost.
this is why roths can be so powerful ..i wish i did them along the way . those iirma surcharges can sky rocket which ours will once we start

Old 11-11-2021, 04:05 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
That's the key, if they can. Everyone is different. Lowering my hours was quite easy, and certainly not manipulation as you call it. It was an easy way to save taxpayers hundreds of dollars and a great decision for our family.
Lowering your hours specifically to qualify for Medicaid is manipulation by any definition, and making the taxpayers cover your medical costs by doing so didn't save the taxpayers anything.

Quote:
Whatever. I am not a scientist but do not believe 1 drink renders you at .08. Not that I care either way except common sense tells us each person would be different.
Key point in bold.

Old 11-11-2021, 04:10 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'll end up paying more on Medicare for monthly premiums than I have on the ACA. Possibly triple the amount.
We anticipate (dread) same, our costs will go up substantially with Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement