Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 10:44 AM

50,866 posts, read 36,563,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
No, we were on a silver ACA plan, not Medicaid. I don't know enough about it to discuss further. That's just what the doctor told me. Maybe things have changed since my experience in 2016.
Maybe it is state dependent, I just looked at the plans available in Washington state, I never heard of any of the companies.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:54 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't get it. The OP is saying ACA is "welfare" the taxpayers pay, but Medicaid is NOT?

Who does he think is paying for Medicaid, if not taxpayer "welfare"?

Man, this is really selective thinking, lol.

And why is the OP drinking at ALL, if he's on the Christian plan that forbids it? Something doesn't make sense here....
Yes, the OP's contradictory "logic".

Old 11-12-2021, 08:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Maybe it is state dependent, I just looked at the plans available in Washington state, I never heard of any of the companies.
this might help someone... https://www.kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/
oh yes... very much state, and also zip code and county dependent.

We are in a border county and have another county (same state) 10 seconds down the road. Our plans are all different, and not the same as the state offers (Because our primary service is from the state next door (20 min).) so... our plans are not the same as the state our care comes from, as each state regulates the care, and each carrier only serves certain counties. (our zip code includes multiple counties, so is nearly impossible to get an ins quote unless you can get through to a person who has excess to data base, and can sort by specific address). Example... BC / BS is offered in our state, but not at our address. Our kid is 20 min away and can access BC / BS.

USA HC system is just a tad overcomplicated.

Annual open enrollment (for all) must drop productivity by double digits.

We were comparing last yr info with this yr, but last yr there was a spreadsheet with plans and costs. This yr, nothing. (Except AARP has populated their data granularly).

Old 11-13-2021, 06:41 AM

20,154 posts, read 9,049,040 times
If you are buying an ACA plan as non-subsidized health insurance for a family of 4, you can expect to pay about $25,000 for the year in premiums and deductibles. That breaks down to an average of $17,244 in annual premium cost for health insurance for families of 4 and $7,767 in deductible expenses.

Old 11-13-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
If you are buying an ACA plan as non-subsidized health insurance for a family of 4, you can expect to pay about $25,000 for the year in premiums and deductibles. That breaks down to an average of $17,244 in annual premium cost for health insurance for families of 4 and $7,767 in deductible expenses.
Those are the same price as you pay on the open market. In fact there’s absolutely no reason to go through the ACA to buy insurance if you’re not getting a subsidy, you can just go to the Blue Cross or whatever site and buy the same insurance. My Blue Cross plan through Blue Cross is just under $10,000 a year just for me. That’s the reason the ACA was created in the first place. It’s actually very generous and subsidies though, you can make up to something like 75,000 a year as a single person and be eligible for subsidies in New Jersey.

Thankfully I have a job with benefits now, but I still pay $400 a month as my share and still have the big deductibles.

Old 11-13-2021, 06:50 AM

20,154 posts, read 9,049,040 times

Old 11-13-2021, 06:51 AM

106,777 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Not everyone is going to come close to maxing out the out of pockets but the potential is certainly there ..

Just look at the bills my wife and I saw billed when we both got hospitalized for Covid out of the blue

250k for the two of us …luckily between Medicare and a high deductible supplement it cost us under 1k for the two of us together but had it been my aca I once had it would have been a lot

Old 11-13-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Not everyone is going to come close to maxing out the out of pockets but the potential is certainly there ..

Just look at the bills my wife and I saw billed when we both got hospitalized for Covid out of the blue

250k for the two of us …luckily between Medicare and a high deductible supplement it cost us under 1k for the two of us together bu5 had it been my aca I once had it would have been a lot
It will be a lot with any private insurance, with the exception of the Cadillac plans that state and city employees get. I paid $14,000 out-of-pocket with my Blue Cross plan in 2016 for treatments leading up to and including my back surgery.

My last boss took her child to the emergency room, and ended up with $13,000 in out-of-pocket costs for a couple of hours at the ER, because it turned out that several of the doctors that looked at him were not on her plan. That’s one of the things that infuriates me about our system. If I go into the hospital, and I say I don’t want anyone that’s not in my plan to touch me, they’re going to tell me that they can’t take care of me then. If I’m not able to ask a doctor or an anesthesiologist or whoever if he’s in my plan before he touches me, I could end up owing tens of thousands and there’s nothing I can do about it. Even for a planned procedure, if I say I want to know exactly what my costs are going to be before I do this, no one is going to tell me.

If I am in the hospital that my plan is telling me that I must go to, then everyone who works on me in that hospital while I’m there should be covered. It’s fine if you want to put him back to an out of network doctor if I go to see him outside of that hospital, but if you’re telling me that this is the hospital I have to go to to be covered, then I shouldn’t have to worry about providers within that hospital not being covered. I feel like our healthcare system is a giant machine you just get carried along in with little to no choices and no ability to control your costs or care.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-13-2021 at 07:06 AM..

Old 11-13-2021, 07:04 AM

942 posts, read 394,506 times
ACA can be confusing. My wife is on a silver Anthem Blue Cross plan and received a letter explaining what to do to continue coverage for next year. They also made a recommendation on the plan to continue with her current coverage. Their instructions said to go to their site and choose the plan they recommended.

Here's where it got interesting...... the plan they recommended ends with a S06 and was not an option on their site. I was able to navigate to the same plan ending in S04 and even S05 by playing with varying income levels. Basically the same plan but had somewhat different costs associated with them and neither as good as the S06 that Anthem was recommending.

Finally, out of frustration I called Anthem and explained what I was finding. They were very helpful and explained that by not making any changes at all and just continuing to pay the premiums, her plan will remain in force, and will be the S06 plan. Nowhere did it state that in the letter sent. They also explained that anytime you see the S06 designation you are receiving the best you can get when it comes to the benefits and cost savings.

Her monthly premium is dropping from $126 / mo to $93 month in 2022 and will be her last year on ACA. At which time her premiums will be a little more than 3x's that with the additional Medigap and Plan D added in to part B.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:05 AM

106,777 posts, read 108,997,702 times
with medicare and advantage plans , at least balance billings from doctors who accept medicare but maybe not your advantage plan are capped .

but i don’t believe regular health insurance has caps on balance billing for a non network doctor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement