Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 11:49 AM

5,609 posts, read 6,541,992 times

Advertisements

I just got an automated message from my power company that they are wanting a 3.85% rate increase. I can go online, call, or attend meetings to give them my "2 cents". It is a fact of life.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 12:47 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,865,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We just buy what we want.
The only expenditures that really impact our retirement funds are vacations.
We do the same, since our income is pretty-much COLA-protected (pension, 2xSS, + annuity). We are very fortunate NOT to have to depend on our investments for our ongoing income. People who do that, many of whom seem to live on 4-5-percent investment withdrawal, are likely struggling in the face of the 2021 inflation spiral.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:27 PM

106,996 posts, read 109,295,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We do the same, since our income is pretty-much COLA-protected (pension, 2xSS, + annuity). We are very fortunate NOT to have to depend on our investments for our ongoing income. People who do that, many of whom seem to live on 4-5-percent investment withdrawal, are likely struggling in the face of the 2021 inflation spiral.
why do you assume those taking 4% draws are struggling ? they are inflation adjusted in calculation too.

with markets booming those draws can increase as well..

Old 12-10-2021, 01:40 PM

35,143 posts, read 31,445,911 times
Another thing - doubt you all notice, but…

I’m at a craft brewery in Asheville. A big name locally. Prices have gone up at least $1, sometimes $2, across the board. No, the extra $10-$15/month isn’t going to break me, but their costs are up, and they are passing it along.

It’s a luxury item, but some essentials - some groceries, rents - are even worse.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:54 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,403,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. I only know Peet's as an upscale brand at the supermarket. I've bought it on sale, and I liked it.

But you are comparing it to Starbucks, so does Peet's sell their coffee in shops like Starbucks somewhere?
Peet's has coffee shops mostly in a few big cities - a bunch in SF area (over 200), some in LA, SD, and PDX. East coast mainly BOS and DC but a few others. Midwest and south - a few in CHI, TX, etc - here is a map https://www.peets.com/pages/store-locator . You can find the coffee is Costcos around here also.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,244,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. I only know Peet's as an upscale brand at the supermarket. I've bought it on sale, and I liked it.

But you are comparing it to Starbucks, so does Peet's sell their coffee in shops like Starbucks somewhere?
Yes. My local Peet’s makes a lovely latte. I have not been there often. I am buying their coffee from Amazon for home use.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:13 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,541,233 times
I’m not shocked at inflation, as most of us retirees have lived through several of them. Rents have always gone up. New cars have always gone up. Food has always gone up. You just adjust your lifestyle accordingly.

The Rolling Stones sang a song with London’s Bach choir, and the choristers sang……..
No you can’t always get what you want, you can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you find, you get what you need.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:15 PM

35,143 posts, read 31,445,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I’m not shocked at inflation, as most of us retirees have lived through several of them. Rents have always gone up. New cars have always gone up. Food has always gone up. You just adjust your lifestyle accordingly.

The Rolling Stones sang a song with London’s Bach choir, and the choristers sang……..
No you can’t always get what you want, you can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you find, you get what you need.
This is hugely different for people my age. We’ve never seen this level of inflations. Retirees spending most of their money on essentials are getting screwed.

I’m affluent enough to weather it. I have two job interviews on Monday, the lowest paying 20% more than I make that covers the inflation. Most folks aren’t that fortunate.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:28 PM

43,343 posts, read 18,466,092 times
I like to stick within my budget so I'll adjust somewhat. Otherwise that cuts into my "fun money" slush fund that I have on the side.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:03 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,105,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Bada Bing to your first part. It is comforting and awesome to know you don't need your investments and their ROI is dwarfing any additional inflationary expenses. Just because of timing in life we are not inflation/expense sensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement