Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 04:33 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I have over 100 apps, but I have ADHD, so it's all good.
I do too! That’s why I need the “Liberate” app to block time-wasting websites I use to “escape” when I feel overwhelmed. I have addictive tendencies and not good at moderating without assistance. Have you found any of the apps particularly useful for ADHD? I live and die by the “Reminders” app, but it’s very buggy. I downloaded a couple others but wasn’t crazy about them, and I need it to work with Siri so I can ask it to remind me of things when I’m driving (if I wait I’ll forget what I wanted to set the reminder for, lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 11:51 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Off topic rant = anyone find it strange that we now have really fancy earbud headphones that have multiple mics for direction noise canceling, custom sound profiles, waterproof, long charge, bluetooth, phone calls, tap controls, etc. for $100 but a good pair of hearing aids can easily be several thousand dollars?

Imagine the margins they must be working with on hearing aids compared to ear buds, and I'm surprised an earbud headphone company hasn't tried to dive into the hearing aid market with a combo product. Charge people a few hundred bucks, everybody wins.
I recently read that next year some thing is going to drastically change regarding hearing aids. You may be getting your wish. This article wasn’t behind a paywall…

https://www.verywellhealth.com/fda-i...g-aids-5209271

Old 12-12-2021, 06:42 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
7 Little Words app. I don't play video or any kind of games. I never did. This app is the only one that I found 5 years ago that holds my attention. Its addictive, sharpens my brain, and is easy?? for me to do. Comes in handy when you want to take a break from a book or are in a waiting room.
Each puzzle gives you 7 clues and the number of letters needed to identify each of the seven words. Then you construct the words by selecting from a chart where all the 7 words are scramble in pieces like AD DIC VE TI. You can reshuffle the word parts. Hints are available but soon you won't need them. But you never quite master this, no matter how good you get you can always be stumped and be forced to get a Hint on a word. Its better than a crossword puzzle or word search . Most puzzles can be solved in 5 minutes. You get a daily puzzle and there are old puzzles you can solve for free. I loved it so much I bought extra puzzle packs.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:09 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
That IS a game
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-13-2021, 02:14 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Google Translate
I second, third and fourth this app.

It came preinstalled on this phone.

If you do any travel where language might be a problem, you can type in the phase you want to say, select the language you need it translated to, and it will read out that phrase in the other language.

It also has a "speaker" button, and that will give you the verbal phrase, so you can play it for whom you're trying to speak to, or learn how to speak that phrase yourself (if they understand your accent, lol!)

It can also help when you come across a foreign language word and you want to know what it's translation is.

Best app for travel, and you don't have to change your keyboard, or worry about accent marks, if you type it in English, it will ask you "did you mean", and show the appropriate accent marks, click on that, then speaker button, it will speak it clearly.

Best

Old 12-13-2021, 08:01 AM

1,489 posts, read 794,629 times
I try not to use anything from Google, as they sell your info.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
And who else doesn't?
Facebook, etc ALL sell your info.

Every wondered why you search for raised bed gardens, and then anywhere else you go on the 'net (computer or smartphone) that suggested websites pop up?

It's called"data mining".

Unless you want to be totally off the internet, someone is mining your data.

You can opt out.

Best

Old 12-13-2021, 08:29 AM

1,489 posts, read 794,629 times
If you use an iPhone you can opt out!

Old 12-13-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
If you use an iPhone you can opt out!
You can on Android, or you can go "stealth".

These electronic days, everyone is looking over shoulders, like big brother.

But you can mitigate that.

I would NEVER do banking on either computer or smartphone without going stealth.
And I still rarely do that.

You can also download apps like avast to keep nefarious people out.
Others are prevalent too.

Go to app store, and look for one.
Apple or Android.

Best

Old 12-13-2021, 09:33 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Quote:
So what, who cares!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement