Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 06:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times

Advertisements

I am paraphrasing the following that I read today.

If you go in to a store to buy a product that you want and are only willing to pay $50 for it but the least expensive is $75 so you don't buy you don't tell people they didn't have any and there is a shortage of. The reality is they didn't have it at the price you want.

Any many industries like retail and food service there isn't a shortage of workers employers just aren't willing to pay what it takes to get workers. Just like the product a person can't afford or doesn't want to pay the market price for.

So if there are steaks in the store and you don't want to pay the price they were still available and if the store doesn't want to pay the market price for cashiers............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 07:04 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
I just got hired on the spot to become a barista. I start next week. With nearly $3mm in assets and a frugal approach to life I never need to work again but I’m bored and I see this as an opportunity to help with a community need. My future boss whom I’ve known for four years even confided with me during the “interview” that she had three younger people in training and all three quit before they were put on the floor. I asked what happened and it’s her opinion that they are all trying to get their S together. She sees a lot of PTSD from the pandemic in these kids. They were at tender ages. It disrupted last years of high school or beginning of college or launching as young adults in a way that not even the millennials experienced during the Great Recession.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:25 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
Makes me laugh every time I hear the term Non-Essential Government Workers. If they aren't essential why have them in the first place?
Essential workers are those who add to the value of consumable goods and services. If the Pyramids weren't essential, why did the Egyptians build them in the first place? Work being done is not the test of productivity.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:33 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think more people should admit that many older people have (or can have) diminished capacities in various ways.

A good number have less physical strength. Some have less physical energy.... or less ability to carry on tasks productively for many hours per day.

Some have physical ailments which impede their life. Some have less mental acuity.

Also, the author of the Marketwatch article should stop using the words 'elderly' and 'elderly workers'.
He should say 'older' or 'older workers'. I feel that elderly is age 80 or 85 - not 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 78.
65 and up is geriatric. Think about that for a moment.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:39 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I just got hired on the spot to become a barista. I start next week. With nearly $3mm in assets and a frugal approach to life I never need to work again but I’m bored and I see this as an opportunity to help with a community need. My future boss whom I’ve known for four years even confided with me during the “interview” that she had three younger people in training and all three quit before they were put on the floor. I asked what happened and it’s her opinion that they are all trying to get their S together. She sees a lot of PTSD from the pandemic in these kids. They were at tender ages. It disrupted last years of high school or beginning of college or launching as young adults in a way that not even the millennials experienced during the Great Recession.
You are relatively young. It makes perfect sense that you'd want to take a job, especially one that increases your contact with people. Best of luck!

Old 12-15-2021, 07:58 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
I broach the subject with DW.
Work few hours/day. Nothing physically demanding. But has to be cash, no benefits needed. Age 71 and counting. Running out of safe conversation topics with DW
Also need to replenish the trading accounts .

Old 12-15-2021, 08:02 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
You are relatively young. It makes perfect sense that you'd want to take a job, especially one that increases your contact with people. Best of luck!
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it. Even though I am younger this will be the first time I'll be the oldest worker on a team (of 10). I better get used to it!

Old 12-15-2021, 09:38 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
65 and up is geriatric. Think about that for a moment.
No, it isn't actually.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:58 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
If you are talking about federal employees, then yes, I agree. They are worthless and should be eliminated. The federal payroll is probably 40% larger than it needs to be, and that adds up to billions of dollars every month.
No', I'm not. Skyscrapers are full of workers whose only job is to make their private-sector company comply with state, local and federal regulations. Which includes keeping records of compliance.

This is all a variable. Government cooks the economy to float on X taxable dollars changing hands in commerce. So it reaches that goal with as much burdensome bureaucracy as is necessary to fill the gap.

Remember when every family bought and threw away a newspaper every day? US paper production has not declined since then. What are we doing with alll that paper? Over 90% of all Xerox copies get either stored or discarded without any human eves ever seeing them. How many millions of private payroll workers unproductively create and file them?

Last time I picked up a Rx, there were nine sheets of 8x11 paper stapled to it, printed on one side only, all content government mandated. Stapled through a nice zip-lok bag, which wasted the bag, too.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:28 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,159,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, it isn't actually.
According to my doctor it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement