Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 08:55 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So people are paying attention to what's in other folks carts and even how they pay for it. I wonder what triggers their attention?
I see complaints on City-Data from time to time about what people are buying with their food stamps (actually an EBT card). I don't look at what other people buy and never in my life have I noticed how anyone else is paying for their food. I am not even sure what an EBT card looks like. You have to really be close to a person or straining to see how they pay.

Wait, there's one exception when I did know how they were paying, because we older people all were amused. A few years ago, a man ahead of me was paying with cash, and part of it was a Susan B. Anthony dollar. The kid cashier didn't know what it was. We heard the man telling the kid that it was indeed legal tender but the cashier wanted to call the manager. Another lady and I behind him got a kick out of it.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:59 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wait, there's one exception when I did know how they were paying, because we older people all were amused. A few years ago, a man ahead of me was paying with cash, and part of it was a Susan B. Anthony dollar. The kid cashier didn't know what it was. We heard the man telling the kid that it was indeed legal tender but the cashier wanted to call the manager. Another lady and I behind him got a kick out of it.
Want to have fun?
Go to [insert fast food joint here] with: $2 bill, any flavor dollar coin, a half-dollar coin. Then, use your credit/debit card for the remainder of the charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 01:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
My memory is just fine. So I wasn't close enough to determine whether or not the woman was wearing wedding rings, big deal! When I see people spending large sums of money on non-essentials, like gold chains and Cadillacs, then paying for their food with Tax Payer supplemented funds, I find it annoying.

Do YOU like paying for other's living expenses?
How did you know you were? The man may well have not been on food stamps! How do you know their cohabitation status and whether they constituted a legal household. They could have been dating, friends, co workers or pray tell brother sister and he was taking his sister shopping. Wait, wait maybe he was visiting from out of town and was helping? Those things I hear do happen at least in my experiences.
Hmmmm could it have been a church thing or in your judgement didn't they look like church going people.

Last edited by TuborgP; 01-23-2022 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-23-2022, 01:53 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Want to have fun?
Go to [insert fast food joint here] with: $2 bill, any flavor dollar coin, a half-dollar coin. Then, use your credit/debit card for the remainder of the charge.
I think I wrote on here recently about a Wendy's cashier unable to speak and fleeing to the back for a manager when I brought in a coupon that promised a free burger with the purchase of small fries and a small drink. They might keel over if I brought in unfamiliar money.

Old 01-23-2022, 02:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
I think I wrote on here recently about a Wendy's cashier unable to speak and fleeing to the back for a manager when I brought in a coupon that promised a free burger with the purchase of small fries and a small drink. They might keel over if I brought in unfamiliar money.
Try having a bill for something like say $12.06 or even better $10.06 and give the cashier a $20.06 consisting of a $20, nickel and penny. It can at times create a meltdown when the cashier doesn't want to enter the full amount and tries to give the six cents back and insist no just the $20. The register will know what to do but I have had cashiers not comprehend what you are trying to do.

Old 01-23-2022, 03:01 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Ah the days when you had to know how to count change before you could get a job in a restaurant or a store... never coming back!

Old 01-23-2022, 03:39 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Or know how to count, period.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:02 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
My memory is just fine. So I wasn't close enough to determine whether or not the woman was wearing wedding rings, big deal! When I see people spending large sums of money on non-essentials, like gold chains and Cadillacs, then paying for their food with Tax Payer supplemented funds, I find it annoying.

Do YOU like paying for other's living expenses?

Our entire economic system is based upon this. Who is working for the trillions the Fed pumps into the markets? Right now that it's come to a head it's the poor paying for it with high inflation.

So for years now people have been buying gold chains and Cadillac's because of the trillions pumped into the markets and the poor are now paying for it.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:07 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
That could very well be technology related. I was at a fast food restaurant the other day and like most they were short handed. The cashier was busy with the drive through window so one of the food preparers came out to ring up our order. My friend always orders coffee. He stared at the register for a moment not being able to find the coffee button. He had to ask "where is the coffee on here"?

The regular cashier said "just push the "special drink" and pour his coffee. It's certainly possible the kid just didn't know where to enter the .75 cent cheese at. You wanted them to get it right, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement