Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 11:08 AM

292 posts, read 357,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Updates...

The Booster mandate is greatly impacted healthcare .
The hemorrhage started long before the mandate. The mandate may be a convenient excuse, or the straw that broke the camel's back for some. When the pandemic hit, people quit coming to the ED. Elective procedures were postponed indefinitely. ED docs couldn't find jobs. Hospitals. ever mindful of the bottom line, slashed staffing. They were slow to respond to increasing volume and now are unable to staff beds that remain waiting, empty. And the resignations continue. Yet again, nurses (and others) stepped up to the plate, at no little risk to themselves, but guess what. It became the new norm. Today it is the horror of going to work in the current environment that has many burned out nurses, doctors, aides, EMTs, RTs, etc. looking at their options.

Anyway, I'm not here to convince readers to NOT come to work, just to say that if you're considering a gig somewhere for some extra cash, there may be a windfall for you if you can take vitals, start an IV, deal with an EMR (probably the worst thing). If you're an RN it's an excellent opportunity and not a long term commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 10:41 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And I have my Wendy's story….I have the feeling this would not have happened with retirees working there.
An old fart would have said: “free cheese for you, have a nice day”.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:01 PM

260 posts, read 154,307 times
Talking Living for me now...

I read this entire thread and enjoyed it immensely, although some of the responses went off the topic; but all very interesting. Some made me smile and some statements got a bit of a chuckle out of me. I retired early right before Pandemic was known and I wouldn't go back to work now if I even wanted to . Enjoy waking up and going to bed on my own schedule and just doing what I want to do with no one telling me what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. I am not a boomer, but I am retired and there is just so much to do that I find myself more tired than when I was working. Great thread. Indeed.

Old 01-12-2022, 05:23 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And I have my Wendy's story. I get a sheet in the mail with a bunch of Wendy's coupons. There are two that say "buy a small drink and a small fries, get a single burger free". Then a note at the bottom that if you want cheese, it's 75 cents extra.

So I go to Wendy's with one of the coupons. Tell the young guy I have this coupon and I want to use it and that I want cheese and I know it's 75 cents extra. He looks down at his register, then looks back at me and looks at the coupon with this frightened and confused look on his face. DOES NOT SAY ONE WORD TO ME but instead disappears. Just runs into the back.

A big manager man appears and takes his place. I repeat what I said. Show him the coupon, say I want this deal but I want cheese on the burger and will pay the the extra 75 cents for it. The man studies the coupon and says, "If you want cheese, it will be 75 cents extra."

I said, "Yes, I said that already."

I got my food and walked out feeling as if I was in the Twilight Zone. But wait, there's more!

Three weeks later I went back with the other coupon, and the exact same thing occurred WITH A DIFFERENT KID AT THE REGISTER. Kid looked frightened and confused, did not say a word to me, and ran into the back and out came the same big manager and we had the same damn conversation down to him repeating the 75 cents for cheese thing after I already said it.

I mean, doesn't the company you work for notify you that there are these things called coupons out there that they've mailed to customers and someone might bring one in to your restaurant? Or maybe that you SPEAK to the customer who brings them in, even to say, "Whoa, I don't know which button to hit on this register with that thing, let me get the manager."

I have the feeling this would not have happened with retirees working there.

They were likely in shock that anyone would pay 75 cents for a slice of cheese.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:10 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I agree, when at JIB it's only 50 cents extra.....

Old 01-14-2022, 09:27 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Orange plastic cheese to boot!

Old 01-14-2022, 09:34 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
How did we go from older folks retiring to cheese?

Old 01-14-2022, 03:00 PM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Did someone say cheese?

Old 01-14-2022, 06:33 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree with what you've said about people being jealous of retirees, but what they seem to overlook, is that it took us retirees 35-40 years, or more, to get to this point in our lives. And yes, i, as well as many others, picked up a part time job after we retired, because in some cases, we left our former jobs before turning 62, due to a rash of "downsizings", that happened in the early 2000s, and we needed a little "pocket money" until we turned 62, and could file for SS benefits. And since that milestone was reached, no, we're not coming back.

Your comments about your daughter's job situation both make me laugh, as well as scratch my head. I'm about to turn 70, in a few months, but I can still recall my high school years. I, as well as just about all of my friends, had "after school and Saturday" jobs. It was a "right of passage", in those days, and none of us were faced with the "you don't have any experience" excuse......
I think there are layers of reaction to retirees by non retirees. Retirees on limited income with a basic lifestyle are not necessarily resented. Where the resentment comes in with retirees who are living above average lifestyles for the area without having to go to work and with plenty of discretionary income. Especially if the area has transplants who fit that picture. It is one thing to retire with a retirement income of six figures plus when the average income is close to that. It is another when the average income is half that.

Shopping at the supermarket can sometimes get a reaction when you have a full cart of expensive items relative to another person.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:22 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
^^ Who are you hanging around: that resents someone for what they have in their grocery cart? That's just so ignorant it's hard to grasp.

Even if a person notices what another has in their cart, to resent a person for that is stupid, especially when the person has no idea, what that other person's lifestyle really is.

So what they have expensive items in a grocery cart? Are you following them to see the car they drive? Where they live? On any trips the may or may NOT take? How does a person even know the people they're resenting are even truly retired?

The whole idea of it is just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement