Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2022, 05:40 AM

6,489 posts, read 3,180,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
It seems not that long ago I heard complaints that older workers weren't retiring and this was holding up younger workers from getting better jobs. Now we are hearing complaining about older workers retiring. Can we make up our minds?
Bingo!!!

I guess you'd classify me as one of the "older workers", since I'm about to turn 70, in a few months. HOWEVER, I retired a number of years ago. Why, you ask? Quite simply because I got tired of working never less than 40 hours a week, and sometimes as much as 77 hours (7x11 hours), as well as rotating shifts, plus a number of holidays, as well. You can tolerate that kind of schedule for only so long, and you get tired of watching life pass you by.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 06:29 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,084,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
But that's because your generation didn't see any imminent stressors.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Aside from growing up in a deprived part of Appalachia - ten years ago, I'd have felt similarly. Life has gotten more complicated by the day.
In what universe do you believe minority seniors didn't see imminent stressors in their life?

Old 01-03-2022, 06:33 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,842,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
But that's because your generation didn't see any imminent stressors.
I spent most of my life being "the first" or "the one" or "the example" black person--having to be the "magic Negro"-- everywhere I worked. There was a good amount of stress involved in that.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:18 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
Nope.
I say: bring in lots of young immigrants.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:28 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,987,474 times
There's an unspoken industry practice: age discrimination.

If you're over the age of 60, it's very clear. Companies would rather invest in younger, cheaper, and more obedient employees.

So if you're wondering why older workers are disappearing, there's more than meeting the eyes.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

If you're over the age of 60, it's very clear. Companies would rather invest in younger, cheaper, and more obedient employees.

Many companies are getting burnt / tired of supporting the 'entitlment' generation and are adding preference to age 50+ workers. (Those 'elder / experienced' workers are far happier / dependable / engaged & better for your business and customers and yourself!!! (as an employer))

Old 01-03-2022, 10:35 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,987,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Many companies are getting burnt / tired of supporting the 'entitlment' generation and are adding preference to age 50+ workers. (Those 'elder / experienced' workers are far happier / dependable / engaged & better for your business and customers and yourself!!! (as an employer))
Is this your wishful thinking or are you able to provide links to support this?

Old 01-04-2022, 02:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times
Try Home Depot, Lowe's, Costco, and transportation services. (Airport / hotel shuttles). The engineering and finance companies in my area are hiring available seniors / age 50+. I got 3 inquires for work today. A neighbor who has 100+ staff for cabinet company prefers seniors / experience for the more complicated tasks (layout, design, optimization, and CNC programming.). Especially important for his customer facing staff to be age 50+. When I hire drivers... I prefer older, or better yet... Female and older. A few friends working oil (directional drillers) are in international demand.

I do business consulting + have my own companies that hire. It is no secret that younger workers don't want to 'work'.

For career type jobs and wages (if income needs to be high)... I advise seniors to buy and manage a franchise. All my ex-engineer co-workers (200+ took early severance / retrenchment) are employed (if desired) and highly sought after.

Old 01-04-2022, 06:00 AM

4,284 posts, read 5,948,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They don’t have to , crypto is going to support them
I was shocked, disappointed, and infuriated to learn during the Holidays that our youngest is investing in crypto stocks!

I could post more but best to stop now.

Old 01-04-2022, 06:04 AM

4,284 posts, read 5,948,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

I would say everyone needs to have their ducks in a row to withstand a sudden Reduction In Force at age 55. Highly paid employment after age 55 is NOT a guarantee, regardless of earlier career success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement