Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 10:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
The fact that the male was dressed in what I'd describe as an expensive "replica" sports team outfit, and wearing 4-5 long gold chains around his neck, looked so "over the top", and THAT'S what initially caught my eye, while they were walking around the store. But it wasn't that big of a deal.

Then it looked like they had several packages of steaks, on the belt leading up to the cashier, that stood out, somewhat, but I still wasn't overly interested. But I couldn't help but see that the woman paid the tab with food stamps, and THAT kind of blew my mind. Loading the groceries into the fairly new Caddy simply took it over the top.....it sure looked like the quintessential welfare scam, to me.
Steaks aside did they have wedding rings on? Perhaps they weren't married and she was on food stamps and was dating her or a friend/relative. She may have been on assistance with a man who wasn't.

In some communities volunteers take people shopping and some community agencies hire people to take others shopping. There are some classic stories about that.

Last edited by TuborgP; 01-20-2022 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 02:38 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
My (former) school system went after teachers at the top of the pay scale starting about ten or twelve years ago. Constant observations, class assignments for classes that the teacher had never taught or trained for, grouping all the discipline problems in one class, etc. All the things were taught in Principal School to do to get rid of people.

Now they're calling those retirees begging them to come back and substitute or even do contract work.

Old 01-20-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My (former) school system went after teachers at the top of the pay scale starting about ten or twelve years ago. Constant observations, class assignments for classes that the teacher had never taught or trained for, grouping all the discipline problems in one class, etc. All the things were taught in Principal School to do to get rid of people.

Now they're calling those retirees begging them to come back and substitute or even do contract work.
People don't realize how dire the certified teacher shortage is and will only get worse. It will go back to 30 or so. years ago when there was a real shortage. It is times like this/that that salary and benefits go up to increase recruitment and retention. LOL not in this political climate.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:41 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Steaks aside did they have wedding rings on? Perhaps they weren't married and she was on food stamps and was dating her or a friend/relative.
I wasn't close enough to see that, but they seemed to be sort of "chummy", prior to getting to the check out line.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:20 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
The fact that the male was dressed in what I'd describe as an expensive "replica" sports team outfit, and wearing 4-5 long gold chains around his neck, looked so "over the top", and THAT'S what initially caught my eye, while they were walking around the store. But it wasn't that big of a deal.

Then it looked like they had several packages of steaks, on the belt leading up to the cashier, that stood out, somewhat, but I still wasn't overly interested. But I couldn't help but see that the woman paid the tab with food stamps, and THAT kind of blew my mind. Loading the groceries into the fairly new Caddy simply took it over the top.....it sure looked like the quintessential welfare scam, to me.
You remember years later that some one wore knock offs, gold plate and bought steaks with food stamps? And then they go from married to seeming chummy. No need for memory supplements here!

People on food stamps are not allowed to use them as they seem fit. No steaks for well fare recipients!

Old 01-21-2022, 06:42 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You remember years later that some one wore knock offs, gold plate and bought steaks with food stamps? And then they go from married to seeming chummy. No need for memory supplements here!

People on food stamps are not allowed to use them as they seem fit. No steaks for well fare recipients!
I'm not sure if that was sarcasm, but they can buy steaks. There are a few restrictions, like no alcohol. Some benefits include only human food, so no cat food or litter. Other benefits include money that can be spent on non-food items.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
I'm not sure if that was sarcasm, but they can buy steaks. There are a few restrictions, like no alcohol. Some benefits include only human food, so no cat food or litter. Other benefits include money that can be spent on non-food items.
Not all steaks are high quality cuts.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:56 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
It would be wildly expensive to pick and choose which food items are allowed and which are not. Also very political- is organic food allowed? Non-nutritious drinks? What percentage juice? Etc.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It would be wildly expensive to pick and choose which food items are allowed and which are not. Also very political- is organic food allowed? Non-nutritious drinks? What percentage juice? Etc.
Bada Bing!

Old 01-23-2022, 07:51 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post

My memory is just fine. So I wasn't close enough to determine whether or not the woman was wearing wedding rings, big deal! When I see people spending large sums of money on non-essentials, like gold chains and Cadillacs, then paying for their food with Tax Payer supplemented funds, I find it annoying.

Do YOU like paying for other's living expenses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement