Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 03:52 PM

18,738 posts, read 33,541,338 times

Advertisements

I think I'm quite satisfied with two new-built houses (the last one and the current one), hiring handymen for little things and landscapers for that. No troubles at all with owning (since 2001. Before that, the crumbling cottage I'd bought was... crumbling and constantly a problem. It was a tear down and I couldn't see that. Any idiot could have seen that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 03:56 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,046,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Rents certainly go up for the same reasons.

I have no interest in price appreciation. I do have an interest in securing my housing and being able to forecast what increases there will be (taxes, etc). Also, renting isn't usually the quality of life equivalent of owning (with or without mortgage). I have never felt that much at home when renting and never had a house. But then, I was living in the urban real estate wars of the 1980s in Boston.
Right. I believe there's an emotional attachment when owning your house. It is YOUR house. You don't need to ask for permission to paint, upgrade, or the little changes just making your life better. There's also the security knowing it's YOUR house. You're legally protected from someone trying to kick you out or increase your payments, as long as you make your mortgage & tax payments on time.

I've always say a house is not a home until you put in the love & care into it. You will not put in that love & care into it if it's a rental. It's called the pride of ownership. I "want" to be proud that my yards & lawns are manicured and look good. That's why I don't mind putting the sweat on weekends to make my house looking good.

OTOH, I see the apathetic attitude renters have toward the house they rent. They will let the lawn die and turned brown. I asked them why don't they water the grass and the answer I get back are often "why? This is NOT my house", or "I am not going to pay the water bill to water the grass".

It's basic human behaviors on how you will take care of things in relation to whether you own them vs renting them.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Actually I have to admit we have a better quality more trouble free life renting ….I miss our deck and yard but I don’t miss all the constant chores , work and repairs ….we have to devote zero time to our apartment….

We do have a terrace with our apartment and on site pool and tennis courts

No worrying about snow , gardening , landscaping either …..life as far as housing is transparent to us and trouble free.
Just like living in a hotel... but not as nice or convenient.

Like I said, no emotional attachment whatsoever.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:07 PM

107,465 posts, read 109,882,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Just like living in a hotel... but not as nice or convenient.

Like I said, no emotional attachment whatsoever.
If I stay married I have a cook with the deal. Ha ha

Old 12-29-2021, 04:12 PM

10,146 posts, read 6,539,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Right. I believe there's an emotional attachment when owning your house. It is YOUR house. You don't need to ask for permission to paint, upgrade, or the little changes just making your life better. There's also the security knowing it's YOUR house. You're legally protected from someone trying to kick you out or increase your payments, as long as you make your mortgage & tax payments on time.

I've always say a house is not a home until you put in the love & care into it. You will not put in that love & care into it if it's a rental. It's called the pride of ownership. I "want" to be proud that my yards & lawns are manicured and look good. That's why I don't mind putting the sweat on weekends to make my house looking good.

OTOH, I see the apathetic attitude renters have toward the house they rent. They will let the lawn die and turned brown. I asked them why don't they water the grass and the answer I get back are often "why? This is NOT my house", or "I am not going to pay the water bill to water the grass".

It's basic human behaviors on how you will take care of things in relation to whether you own them vs renting them.
I agree re: having an emotional attachment to a house. I would never buy a house that I couldn't form an emotional attachment with, which is partly why I like older homes. I've put so much effort into the house and yard in the 3 years since I've been in this place. It has been a chore to create and plant 17 garden beds and add a waterfall and pond in that time period, but I've enjoyed the process and the results. The neighbors have even thanked me for making the house and yard look so nice, which is gratifying.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:39 PM

15,259 posts, read 13,087,357 times
Quote:
If we did buy again it would be a coop or condo in a high rise , with zero time spent on housing chores.

If we did decide to buy again it would be in westchester at the high point condos

https://www.realestatehudsonvalleyny...os-high-point/
Since the purchase price of the condos seems pretty reasonable, there must be some other fees tacked on. How much would those be?

Not sure if I could live in 1300 sq ft but I'm curious. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:39 PM

We have no emotional ties to any house we had . We may have liked some more than others but nothing personal.

It simply is a place to sleep and eat to us …we are more concerned with the location

Old 12-29-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Since the purchase price of the condos seems pretty reasonable, there must be some other fees tacked on. How much would those be?

Not sure if I could live in 1300 sq ft but I'm curious. Thanks.
Real estate taxes about 6800-7000 a year

Hoa about 800-900 a month .

In comparison my son is in the area and has a single family home …..1.25 million and 31k a year in taxes alone , plus all the maintenance and repairs.

It just cost him 30k in repairs when the sewer pipe broke under the porch where it enters the house and it flooded the first floor and the basement ..insurance paid 12k

Old 12-29-2021, 05:15 PM

15,259 posts, read 13,087,357 times
Quote:
Real estate taxes about 6800-7000 a year

Hoa about 800-900 a month

In comparison my son is in the area and has a single family home …..1.25 million and 31k a year in taxes alone , plus all the maintenance and repairs.

It just cost him 30k in repairs when the sewer pipe broke under the porch where it enters the house and it flooded the first floor and the basement ..insurance paid 12k

Thanks... Yeah, maybe I'll stay in Arizona... The tax on my $2.3m house is $8k a year.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Thanks... Yeah, maybe I'll stay in Arizona... The tax on my $2.3m house is $8k a year.
What about the taxes of your SF house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement