Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 07:35 AM

10,112 posts, read 6,458,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Sure! It's just money!!

I was not in the military but as a civilian in the defense industry. I can relate to living in hotels as a way of life. Too many extended TDYs. Another reason that I was married late in life.
Off topic, but hey - more stuff we have in common! Which service were you with? I was with the Navy and married at 41.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 07:58 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,985,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Off topic, but hey - more stuff we have in common! Which service were you with? I was with the Navy and married at 41.
I worked mainly with the Air Force

I finally met my current DW and got married at 49

Old 12-30-2021, 08:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,192,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
From a bourgeois viewpoint, yes indeed. The middle class man’s house is his middle-class castle, his pride and joy, his heartfelt aegis of personal actualization. But what if one owns 10 houses – or has the wherewithal to do so? Should each of those lawns be personally manicured?

Consider: if a person isn’t a driving-enthusiast and feels no emotional attachment to a car, ought this person to never buy a car?

Yes, and in my current situation it's hard to find compelling financial reason to be an owner.

Exactly. A house is merely a box where one sleeps and stores one's possessions. Any box will do. What matters incomparably more, is what one does, ahem, outside of the box.
Up until now, we were on the same page; now, we have become highly divergent.

Our house IS a little 'box', designed to live in a very unforgiving environment. It contains all the features necessary to immerse us in our surroundings, yet transforms all the harsh but resplendent visual aspects of the outside, to a safe and warm living space inside. The little offices here provide shelter from the howling wolves at the gate, while we safely work on things of great importance to us. Yes, from the outside, it looks like a box. From the inside, it IS a castle, our own personal slice of virtual reality created to serve a wide range of needs.

Yes, money paid for the box, but no amount of money can buy the pleasures that the box provides.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:06 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
LOL, it's not tornado country. The western part of the state has substantially more tornadoes than the eastern part. I'm next to the Ohio River in KY. If this is tornado country than so is south eastern Ohio. Tornadoes can happen but they are not a regular event here.

Typical Maysville graffiti
Now THAT is some grafitti that I don't mind at all!

Old 12-30-2021, 09:10 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,670,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Up until now, we were on the same page; now, we have become highly divergent.

Our house IS a little 'box', designed to live in a very unforgiving environment. It contains all the features necessary to immerse us in our surroundings, yet transforms all the harsh but resplendent visual aspects of the outside, to a safe and warm living space inside. The little offices here provide shelter from the howling wolves at the gate, while we safely work on things of great importance to us. Yes, from the outside, it looks like a box. From the inside, it IS a castle, our own personal slice of virtual reality created to serve a wide range of needs.

Yes, money paid for the box, but no amount of money can buy the pleasures that the box provides.
Nicely put, MG.

We are thankful for our little "box" every single day. It is what makes our quality of life. We looked and worked long and hard for it and we spend most of our time in it. I can enjoy the surfers, para-sailers, horseback riders, cars, trucks, motorcycles, bikes, golfers, clam-diggers and all that activity without even getting out of bed, lol.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I didn't know the name Karen is only applied to white women... so what do you call a black Karen?
I would call her by her name, if I knew her. And yes, "Karen" is only applied to white women. It's just another stupid label that someone came up with. There are many MANY videos out there of black women acting like azzholes. But they don't get their own label.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Let me be blunt. If you have no emotional attachment to a place, a desire to "settle down", and a willingness to make a commitment to go the efforts in making a house to a "home", you should NOT buy a house.

I am going to blunt again. If a hotel room feels more like "home" to you, you're emotionally incapable to commit to owning a house.
Agreed. There is nowhere, NOWHERE, that I feel more secure, than in my own home. I love it here. I have done a lot of work on it, and tons of landscaping, a new shed, etc. It is definitely my comfortable space. I am most definitely "attached" to it.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
I worked mainly with the Air Force

I finally met my current DW and got married at 49
Ah... That's the age I quit work (living overseas in hotels for months at a time).

Not sure DW was ready to 'open her home' (of 20 yrs) to a hotel rat. She had a pretty good thing going, which she quite enjoyed. SAHM

Someone was a bit of an interruption.

So, at the moment, we keep a few homes each in different areas and climates. When that consolidates to a single home.... It will probably be a rental in an area we enjoy, but can't afford, or desire to own there. Like Singapore, Tokyo, Tahiti, Sydney, SF .... Can be much cheaper to rent than to own.

Certainly will be renting at my final home (Wyoming Pioneer Home). DW will again be 'keeping house' someplace solo. Either of us could drop dead tomorrow. Or today.
Brrrr. 19f, + snow. Gonna be a chore to fire up the backhoe, probably use the woodstove instead . It's been glowing red for the last week.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:48 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,985,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ah... That's the age I quit work (living overseas in hotels for months at a time).

Not sure DW was ready to 'open her home' (of 20 yrs) to a hotel rat. She had a pretty good thing going, which she quite enjoyed. SAHM

Someone was a bit of an interruption.
So... were you married while you were still working oversea?

Quote:
So, at the moment, we keep a few homes each in different areas and climates. When that consolidates to a single home.... It will probably be a rental in an area we enjoy, but can't afford, or desire to own there. Like Singapore, Tokyo, Tahiti, Sydney, SF .... Can be much cheaper to rent than to own.
Love visiting Singapore. They also speak "Singlish" so easier to communicate. Love Kyoto more so than Tokyo for obvious reasons. Only reason to visit SF is food but plenty of other places have that too, such as NYC, LA, etc.

What is it like to live in Thailand as an ex-pat? Do you imagine to retire there?

Quote:
Certainly will be renting at my final home (Wyoming Pioneer Home). .......
Brrrr. 19f, + snow. Gonna be a chore to fire up the backhoe, probably use the woodstove instead . It's been glowing red for the last week.
You should consider the land of milk & honey (SoCal) Right now is 55 degree but we are getting our annual rain

Old 12-30-2021, 12:29 PM

13,666 posts, read 9,742,332 times
Quote:
Frankly this sort of organizational skill is to me outright baffling. I can't imagine any locale, any setting, any domicile, that is so resplendently successful in achieving such level of felicity. While I can imagine negotiating with the howling wolves at the gate, or perhaps even combating them, to feel safe inside of the box while the wolves maraud outside, is to me incomprehensible. Instead I make no distinction between "in" and "out". The box's walls bear no distinctive meaning.

To be clear, I have considerable respect and veneration, for the sort of organizational-skill that allows one to turn one's dwelling-box into such haven and sanctuary. If any of my friends, who have such boxes, ask for my help in doing maintenance work on theirs, then it's a pleasure and privilege to help. But while I admire their achievements, I can't share the fascination.

Quote:
With that part I agree, because no amount of money would convert the box that I occupy, or an alternative box that I might buy, into the sort of paradise that you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed. There is nowhere, NOWHERE, that I feel more secure, than in my own home. I love it here. ...
Odd. Between natural disasters, structural failures, or manmade factors, I never felt "secure" in the house that I had owned, or apartments that I had rented. Indeed, I felt more secure in hotel rooms, airport frequent-flyer lounges, or friends' houses... actually, I felt more secure in my office at work. I'd spend weekends at the office, not from being a workaholic or a sycophant, but simply from desire to escape the domicile-box, to be somewhere more commodious and inviting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement