Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 08:05 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
Spookily, that same day, a Google search for something unrelated led for no reason to the page of the most beautiful cemetery in my area. It overlooks the park where I spent the happiest years of my life. I thought, Hmph. Must be nice, how the other half lives
When my late husband passed suddenly which was 20 years ago last month we really never talked much about final wishes other than he wanted to be buried intact and not cremated. I decided to have him buried in a cemetery that is at the entrance to a park in my town which overlooks the bay and this park is where my late husband spend a great deal of time there walking our dogs. Since my parents who were alive when my husband passed had not planned their final arrangements we purchased together a 4 plot burial site which also includes 4 spaces for cremated remains. About a month after my husband passed my father and I went to purchase the headstone. My late husband was 100% Irish as was my father, and as fate would have it there was a green granite headstone available for sale that was engraved with shamrocks that was originally purchased by the family of a firefighter who had recently passed but they decided before the name was engraved that the stone was too small for their site so they ordered another. The man that owned the headstone business sold us the stone at a discount because I guess he figured it would sit there for awhile before someone came along who wanted engraved shamrocks on a headstone.

So now buried in this plot is my husband, parents, and cremated remains of my sister's husband. My sister's cremated remains will be buried in this plot also, and her two adult kids now in their 40s that I doubt either will ever marry or have a long term partner I have offered them the two remaining cremation sites if they want them. My SO wants to be cremated and his ashes scattered in Key West and has already made those arrangements with his daughter. Funny, I never could afford to live in waterfront property in my town while alive but when dead I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 08:15 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
"I took it with me. Gold & cash buried underneath casket."

Old 12-28-2021, 08:49 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,740 times
a casket with the clear opening so i can be laid out with my ass showing so people can kiss it before cremation then spread out in lake mead

Old 12-28-2021, 09:36 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I intend to leave behind no marker etc.

But if I did, I'd want a headstone with some sort of spring loaded arm that would pop out and try to grab people that walk past...along with a recording of me laughing my butt off.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:48 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Cremation is my plan. No idea about where ashes go yet.
But, tombstone would read:

“She always tried but often screwed up.â€

Old 12-28-2021, 10:03 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
I'd like to be in the "Bodies" exhibition, sitting on a preserved horse. That was a fantastic exhibition.

Seriously, cremated and scattered in the Pacific. Won't be a long walk.

That's what a few of us did with our dear friend's ashes who died here a couple years ago.

I could care less myself, but for those left behind, I guess it's a nice remembrance.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:59 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Have you seen the body donation threads in health and current events? If not, you should check them out in my quote below to be sure your selected donor place doesn't pull a fast one on you like what happened to the woman in the current events thread.
I'm donating my body to Weill Cornell Medical College. I have all the paperwork from the director of the gross anatomy lab. There are a lot of conditions that disqualify a body from being accepted. So far I'm in but anything can happen to disqualify me. If so, I'll be buried.

I'm doing this because I was fortunate enough to have a cadaver in my own anatomical studies so I want to give back.

No money changes hands. They will cremate the remains when the students are done with the body and return them to family, scatter them or return the body to a funeral director.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:31 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I bought a urn plot in a cemetery with a beautiful view of trees and mountains. My dogs ashes will be mixed in with mine.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:39 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
My father in his 90s, spent a few summers touring around the area of Missouri where his family had lived before the Dust Bowl / Depression. He located the site where his family had their farm before they were evicted when the banks locked doors and seized all savings accounts. He found a small country church where according to church records, the pastor back in the 1880s had done a fundraising campaign, the church sold off family plots [$1 for a family plot large enough to hold 8 graves]. My father found a family plot with the same last name as ours. My father convinced the current pastor that the family in the 1880s was a great uncle of his, so my father was due one of the gravesites leftover from that family plot.

He managed to locate a gravesite that did not cost him a penny.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:29 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My father in his 90s, spent a few summers touring around the area of Missouri where his family had lived before the Dust Bowl / Depression. He located the site where his family had their farm before they were evicted when the banks locked doors and seized all savings accounts. He found a small country church where according to church records, the pastor back in the 1880s had done a fundraising campaign, the church sold off family plots [$1 for a family plot large enough to hold 8 graves]. My father found a family plot with the same last name as ours. My father convinced the current pastor that the family in the 1880s was a great uncle of his, so my father was due one of the gravesites leftover from that family plot.

He managed to locate a gravesite that did not cost him a penny.
That's a terrific story. Good for your dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement