Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 10:37 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,409,621 times

Advertisements

While I am trying very hard to enjoy as unstructured time as possible, and just do stuff on a whim, in these happy years of reprieve between decades of highly structured work and death, I am being slightly unpleasantly dogged by my bucket list of the remaining travel experiences that I thought, prior to covid, I absolutely wanted to collect while I still could.

Seeing the new cumbersome travel requirements (under which I can't imagine traveling abroad), and seeing that I already own crashpads in 3 cities on 2 coasts that fully satisfy my need for a change of scenery every couple of weeks/months, I keep telling myself that I already probably had more amazing travel experiences than at least 80% of the humanity, and it doesn't overwhelmingly matter if I don't ever manage any of my travel list - but it still bothers me that I might not be able to get to it.

Do other retirees here have any such goals that they feel are almost mandatory? Please no financial discussion here (Lord knows there are enough threads about that :-) - just goals regarding getting something non-financial done before the Grim Reaper comes calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 11:06 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
While I am trying very hard to enjoy as unstructured time as possible, and just do stuff on a whim, in these happy years of reprieve between decades of highly structured work and death, I am being slightly unpleasantly dogged by my bucket list of the remaining travel experiences that I thought, prior to covid, I absolutely wanted to collect while I still could.

Seeing the new cumbersome travel requirements (under which I can't imagine traveling abroad), and seeing that I already own crashpads in 3 cities on 2 coasts that fully satisfy my need for a change of scenery every couple of weeks/months, I keep telling myself that I already probably had more amazing travel experiences than at least 80% of the humanity, and it doesn't overwhelmingly matter if I don't ever manage any of my travel list - but it still bothers me that I might not be able to get to it.

Do other retirees here have any such goals that they feel are almost mandatory? Please no financial discussion here (Lord knows there are enough threads about that :-) - just goals regarding getting something non-financial done before the Grim Reaper comes calling.
I've got a historical novel about one-third written. Gave up on the idea, but occasionally I consider pulling it up again and finishing just to finish.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:09 AM

2,866 posts, read 1,814,881 times
Tweaking, sorting, letting go of items in home so IF I depart this world, it'll be easy for my kin to close shop. Instructions issued given to assist, as when a loved one departs, sorta numb.

Make sure to say I Love You, let others know you care. Look to my Lord each day for instructions, guidance. Volunteer locally, books to read, Post on City-Data with inquisitive, caring Posters ! One Day at a Time !

Old 12-29-2021, 11:30 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times
My bucket list is fluid, flexible, spontaneous and hopefully full of serendipity.
Oh and it's written in pencil

Old 12-29-2021, 11:30 AM

30,565 posts, read 16,256,699 times
Never really had a bucket list and, although I did and enjoyed some travel, I've no interest in doing more. Lack of interest is in no way Covid related. I never really enjoyed the flying part and don't enjoy driving as much as I used to.

The only new frontiers I really want to explore are the ones in me. Expanding my creativity mainly. That's the biggest challenge for me, and it's enough for now.

and I got over mandatory goals when I left work the last time.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:34 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,890,627 times
No goal no schedule. Had enough of that. I don't feel that in retirement I am required to accomplish anything if I don't want to. My time is mine.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:47 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,374 times
Becoming fluent in Italian. Used to live there, but managed only to master "menu Italian". Got Rosetta stone this Christmas, so giving myself one year!

Old 12-29-2021, 11:52 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,617,253 times
Mandatory? No. Feeling as if I want to, that that door is still open? Yes. I don't think I will be as sad because I didn't do something, as I will be when doing that something is not an option. Realizing limitations. No, I will never climb Everest. However the 20 real-life movies I've watched of others scaling all those mountains I can enjoy vicariously sitting with hot tea and a blanket over my legs comfortably on my couch.
It's a personal thing. A world tour for me? Or does simply the thought exhaust me? One thing I've found through world travel is that touring is never going to be like it is to live someplace. It's viewing a different life only through the eyes of tourism. So if I don't go, what have I really lost?
Day to day happiness wherever I am, there's the goal.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:54 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,665,455 times
Get a beach cruiser and ride it 3 miles on the sand to our little tourist town. Probably have to taxi back but that's OK (tides).

I'm up to 25 min. on my exercise bike....

Get back up to walking 2 miles. Got up to one mile so far. (hip operation recovery)

Master bread-baking without fresh yeast (only bulk here). Doing corn tortillas though.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:04 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
No goals here. My 2x/week Pilates was cancelled today (probably COVID for the instructor) and there's a snowstorm coming so no horseback riding this week.
Maybe I'll clean the microwave. Once a year whether it needs it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement