Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 06:54 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,803,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Do other retirees here have any such goals that they feel are almost mandatory? Please no financial discussion here (Lord knows there are enough threads about that :-) - just goals regarding getting something non-financial done before the Grim Reaper comes calling.

I always felt that the "Bucket List" was meant as a "Status Symbol" for people with money to spend and liked showing off. If you can afford to travel, have a great time, but frankly, unless I'm a friend of yours, I really don't care to hear of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 07:30 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,030,820 times
Quote:
While I am trying very hard to enjoy as unstructured time as possible, and just do stuff on a whim, in these happy years of reprieve between decades of highly structured work and death, I am being slightly unpleasantly dogged by my bucket list of the remaining travel experiences that I thought, prior to covid, I absolutely wanted to collect while I still could.

Seeing the new cumbersome travel requirements (under which I can't imagine traveling abroad), and seeing that I already own crashpads in 3 cities on 2 coasts that fully satisfy my need for a change of scenery every couple of weeks/months, I keep telling myself that I already probably had more amazing travel experiences than at least 80% of the humanity, and it doesn't overwhelmingly matter if I don't ever manage any of my travel list - but it still bothers me that I might not be able to get to it.

Do other retirees here have any such goals that they feel are almost mandatory? Please no financial discussion here (Lord knows there are enough threads about that :-) - just goals regarding getting something non-financial done before the Grim Reaper comes calling.

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you said, but am still hoping not to have to ultimately kick the bucket list. But I fear that I may have to, which is really disturbing - I'm slightly short of 62 years old, which somehow seems early for kicking the buckets :-). The present state of travel, and no real sign of when or how it may (or may not ) get better, really concerns me - that is why I started the thread (although, of course, I wanted to hear what other people's bucket lists contain, not only travel).

I picked the wrong year to get a yen for overseas travel -- 2020. If only it had been a year earlier!

I didn't go anywhere after early 2020... haven't been more than one county away from home base since then, let alone gone overseas.

For the day when international travel returns to a state of semi-normalcy, I've prepared a downsized bucket list:

1) Norway

2) London

Old 12-30-2021, 07:40 PM

8,395 posts, read 4,420,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I always felt that the "Bucket List" was meant as a "Status Symbol" for people with money to spend and liked showing off. If you can afford to travel, have a great time, but frankly, unless I'm a friend of yours, I really don't care to hear of it.

The meaning of "bucket list" (per Merriam-Webster dictionary) is the list of things a person hopes to do before he/she dies. It is not limited to travel (as this thread obviously shows), but can be anything a person wants to complete before dying. Many people (like myself) travel quite cheaply, and certainly do not do that to show off anything. People with wanderlust generally like to exchange experiences, and are interested in what other people say about various geographic places. There is a huge field of travel writing (writers like Paul Theroux, Jan Morris, and all the others) which would not exist if people didn't care about any travel except that of their personal friends. Travel costs incomparably less than, eg, raising a child, yet nobody complains that being a parent equals "showing off". If you are not interested in the thread, why did you read it or comment on it?

Old 12-30-2021, 07:52 PM

905 posts, read 670,319 times
I plan to keep purging.
Keep Reading-115 books this year but probably less next year.
Travel more- we traveled to Kansas, North Carolina, Iowa and Indiana for baseball tourneys with the grandson. We have plans for Europe/Scandinavia in September, we will see how that plays out. We were in Alaska in August to visit our daughter, will be back again in 2022.
Keep enjoying life.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I picked the wrong year to get a yen for overseas travel -- 2020. If only it had been a year earlier!

I didn't go anywhere after early 2020... haven't been more than one county away from home base since then, let alone gone overseas.

For the day when international travel returns to a state of semi-normalcy, I've prepared a downsized bucket list:

1) Norway

2) London

Norway... oy... the problems I ended up having with cancellation of my complex travel arrangements in 2020 completely turned me off of having anything to do with that country. It has moved from the top of my bucket list to nowhere on the list. Maybe I'll consider it in some very modified form at some point (maybe something up above Arctic Circle, but no involvement with Norwegian tourist industry ever again, no Bergen, no Sognefjord, no Flam railroad, no Hurtigruten. If you wonder why, go to various travel sites, and read negative reviews). London is tremendously cool, and you'll have a great time there, but I am already very familiar with it. Wish I could downsize to 2 items... even more so, wish I had already traveled to all the places I wanted, before this **** happened!

Old 12-30-2021, 07:59 PM

7,936 posts, read 3,898,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I have a single goal that will probably take 6-10 years to accomplish. Travel is not among the list of prerequisites for my goal.
Quote:
What is the goal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
It actually sounds too far-fetched to disclose !
Here's my guess:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1862079/

Old 12-30-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Travel costs incomparably less than, eg, raising a child, yet nobody complains that being a parent equals "showing off". If you are not interested in the thread, why did you read it or comment on it?
Why did you post? Because you could. Seems I put a burr under your saddle. Obviously you're a bit defensive. Well, enjoy, I'm not here to fight, just expressing my opinion which you obviously didn't like.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
I plan to keep purging.
Keep Reading-115 books this year but probably less next year.
Travel more- we traveled to Kansas, North Carolina, Iowa and Indiana for baseball tourneys with the grandson. We have plans for Europe/Scandinavia in September, we will see how that plays out. We were in Alaska in August to visit our daughter, will be back again in 2022.
Keep enjoying life.

I don't dare to plan anything abroad in 2022. Or in Alaska. I have been to Anchorage for several weeks long time ago, which was awesome, but it was for work, so I did not get anywhere outside the city. I would like to go again, and take a daytrip through Kenai Fjords, and also take Alaskan Railroad between Anchorage and Fairbanks. But not until the epidemic is over (which may or may not happen in my lifetime, the way things are going). There is also a very peculiar ship repositioning cruise that I have heard of recently, that goes from Seattle along the coast of Alaska, then Russian areas of Aleutian Islands, and ends up in Tokyo - normally I would definitely want to get onto something like that, but unfortunately what is right now is not "normally".

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-30-2021 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-30-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Why did you post? Because you could. Seems I put a burr under your saddle. Obviously you're a bit defensive. Well, enjoy, I'm not here to fight, just expressing my opinion which you obviously didn't like.

Obviously you have some kind of a problem. What makes you think you you have put a burr under anyone"s saddle? Is that all you think about or aim for? Dumb stuff...

Old 12-30-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Obviously you have some kind of a problem. What makes you think you you have put a burr under anyone"s saddle? Is that all you think about or aim for? Dumb stuff...
I see that seems you can't handle someone expressing their opinion since it doesn't coincide with yours. Ok, no problem.

Kerplunk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement