Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 02:15 PM

7,671 posts, read 3,301,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

Do other retirees here have any such goals that they feel are almost mandatory? Please no financial discussion here.
Original post is 'goals that feel are almost mandatory...'

I am not quite yet retired, but, I feel that 'planning' is necessary. So, my preliminary planning, these are items I feel I need to work on in pre-retirement into retirement (in other words probably should not all be completely put off until retirement).

-plan for retirement
-finalize making all records electronic (most, but, not all decluttering is finished and this is left).
-repaint the interior of my house (I do better work than a contractor).
-read the classics (I haven't been a big reader and not that much was required via my biz degree, etc.).
-landscaping / gardening...
-involvement with animal charity (tbd)
-update my will, etc.
-staying alive (gym, supplements, diet, etc.).

Items I don't feel are mandatory, but, I would dabble in
-domestic and international travel
-write a book
-teach
-various classes

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 12-31-2021 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 02:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,846 times
I wish hopeful endeavors and aspirations and intended achievements had a much less crude name than 'bucket list'. I find 'bucket list' awfully crude and unappealing for important achievements or goals and personal interests that enhance life.

Can't stand 'bucket list' as a descriptor.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:03 PM

10,356 posts, read 8,590,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
They speak Ecclesiastic Latin in the Vatican. A whole different pronunciation than Restored Classical Latin, which is what I am studying. Sort of like us trying to speak and understand Medieval English.

Probably the best place to find Latin speakers is at universities, the internet, and other nerds. An attraction to Latin is that it is considered a "dead language", meaning that no current society speaks it as their native tongue. What that means is that anything written in Latin will mean the same today as it did two millennia ago and two millennia into the future. We all know how fast our own language is changing. Latin doesn't. What you write today will mean what you write and it will not change anytime in the future. Maybe the reason that there is so much Latin in the legal and medical fields.

Start with Hans H. Ørberg's Lingva Latina Per Se Illvstrata, Pars I, Familia Romana. Except for the copyright page and the back cover, the entire book is in Latin. The context and side notes give everything needed to understand what is on each page, and it builds chapter to chapter. There are some YouTube recordings of each chapter by Luke Ranieri of the polýMATHY channel. Sort of like a “Dick and Jane” book of our kindergarten years.

Concentrating on Slow Waltz and Cha Cha primarily. Tango is a long-term project. My problem is that I've been a scientist/technician/nerd my whole life and think structured and concrete; over-analyze everything. Tango has a huge element of improvisation, which is difficult with my current mindset. I have time...the rest of my life to work on it.
The learning of dance sounds like fun and a challenge based on your analytical mindset. I’m the same way too.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:15 AM

18,736 posts, read 33,430,828 times
I've read that dance movement is protective against dementia.

My late father (cancer, age 87) was winning ballroom dance contests into his 60s with his much-younger girlfriend. Completely mentally sharp until his last day.

I think ballroom dancing would be great but don't women wear dresses and heels for it? I can't even stand in heels. Odd to picture dancing in jeans and hiking shoes!

Old 01-01-2022, 11:35 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,670,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

My late father (cancer, age 87) was winning ballroom dance contests into his 60s with his much-younger girlfriend. Completely mentally sharp until his last day.

I think ballroom dancing would be great but don't women wear dresses and heels for it? I can't even stand in heels. Odd to picture dancing in jeans and hiking shoes!
I just heard about that too. Saw a video by a neurologist-surgeon that showed how movement (of any kind) is actually more beneficial to preventing dementia, than the recommended bridge-playing or crossword puzzles. It takes more brain "power" to regulate movement, than sedentary activities, so keeps the brain active and engaged. Plus it helps with balance. If we needed even MORE motivation to exercise, lol.

Go ahead and dance in your jeans/boots. Doesn't have to be ballroom. Sheesh, I haven't worn heels since the 80s and not starting now.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:41 AM

43,196 posts, read 18,363,097 times
Quote:

You're out west now...take up line dancing !
Or learn the Texas two step...from simple to complex.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Go ahead and dance in your jeans/boots. Doesn't have to be ballroom. Sheesh, I haven't worn heels since the 80s and not starting now.
Heh. There's a lovely art deco music venue in town and they have dance lessons before some music groups. Now to find a guy who wants to go!

Old 01-01-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You're out west now...take up line dancing !
Or learn the Texas two step...from simple to complex.
A staff member at a guest ranch tried to teach me Texas two step once, after a lot of wine and new altitude. His opinion, "Ma'am, you are kinetically challenged."

Old 01-01-2022, 11:48 AM

[quote=Sand&Salt;62614221...It takes more brain "power" to regulate movement, than sedentary activities, so keeps the brain active and engaged. Plus it helps with balance. If we needed even MORE motivation to exercise, lol.

...[/QUOTE]

I've also seen that people with Parkinson's and such are much more able to walk and move to rhythm than without. Same as dementia people often remember song but not words. I saw that at my former job.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:03 PM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Some people find it easier to write creatively with some structure and organized feedback. Or write at all, really.
I took writing workshops that had a critique system. It helped me to have a deadline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement