Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 04:50 PM

18,746 posts, read 33,487,612 times

Advertisements

If I get something I need to print in email, I just forward to a friend who works in a vet office down the street and she'll print it out. Haven't had a printer in years, little need for one and whatever I had always dried up and failed by the time I did need it. Very good office supply place also down the street. Good thing about this retirement, few if any office needs (me, anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 05:51 PM

319 posts, read 201,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I stopped wanting things to get any more complicated right around the time we got decent laptops and phones. I don't need more apps, I don't like how laptops are ignored and everything is about phones. There are also few, if any, options for people who can't see well or don't have someone to show them how these things work. Some days I just want to return to the days of paper and pencils. /rant.
The bolded and italicized: I wonder if there is a social media group for people like us

Dh and I have one smartphone between us; he carries it all the time and keeps it on his desk at home, letting me know when someone calls or texts me. I have a flip phone with purchased time (I guess I better check the balance) to call him if he's out on his own.

I have bad eyes. REALLY bad eyes. Plus, as a former jack-of-all trades IT person, I multi-task.
So - #1 - I have a hard time with the small screen on a smartphone, and #2 - I hate the f*ing things

I'm a happy little clam with my multi-screen laptop setup, spread across a 6' desk, hitting the + and - signs to change the size of print, as well as being able to have a streaming or digital file program on one screen, my genealogy stuff on another, and an open data file on the other. The smartphone is for texting/talking to family and emergency access online while traveling.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:23 PM

143 posts, read 151,146 times
My hubby has a good old flip phone. I am so jealous.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:35 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,821,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
My hubby has a good old flip phone. I am so jealous.
My BIL had to upgrade as his died and they (Verizon) didn't have them available anymore.... believe me, he was NOT happy.

Luckily my sister calmed him down, so he didn't (here it comes) "Flip Out"....

Old 12-30-2021, 06:46 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,582,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Well, when you figure it out, let me know because I have yet to set up the printer (on WiFi) I purchased a year ago to print to my Chromebook and iPhone. I gave it a weak attempt with my Chromebook, but wasn't in the mood to research how to, so gave up quickly. Lazy. It prints to my Mac, so that's been good enough in a WFH situation. But I would like to be able to print from anything. Maybe you've inspired me to try again. I'm sure it's doable, but I already know it's not going to be either intuitive or simple.

The trouble is, I'm the most tech-savvy person I know, so have no one to go to when I need tech help. I have to figure it out myself, which isn't really hard with all the available online resources we have now, but it's time-consuming and sometimes taxing. Youtube videos are are a great learning resource, of which I make full use. I hope there's one for this!
Just in case you have a Canon printer, they have an excellent help line. English speaking technicians based in the United States. At least it was that way a few years ago when I had to call in. Other printers I don't know as I only use Canon printers.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:16 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,377,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Just in case you have a Canon printer, they have an excellent help line. English speaking technicians based in the United States. At least it was that way a few years ago when I had to call in. Other printers I don't know as I only use Canon printers.
I intentionally chose a Canon printer for this reason over a different brand. It had countless reviews stating their help line provided a tech that walked them through the process, problem solved.

Last edited by marino760; 12-31-2021 at 06:25 AM..

Old 12-31-2021, 06:23 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
BUMMER.

As it is, I use or can use the printer everyday, usually to print out the pics to go with my thoughts in the diary (that's paper and pen, mind you). Like GOD in "Time Bandits" because "Well, I am the Nice One.". A printer that doesn't use USB? What is the world coming to?

As far as ink, well something I put up with. Use the color until it fades, switch to B&W till it is exhausted, reload, drop the used cartridges to be taken to work to be recycled.

As it is, I tell them and tell them that I don't use my phone for the Net, to send it to my email and still, it gets sent to my phone. I tell their office I am on break this week and call me on the land line to talk to me and still, they call the cell.....which it is just Fate if I hear the message. You know, the only people faithful to call me on the landline are the telemarketers who want my money?

And then there are those who rake me over the coals for wanting to live in 1950s Aussie Outback ways and ditch all the technology since then. Not entirely like that, of course, it is a computer to the Net and not a short wave bulky set in my communications room.....but it is only my communications room and not all over the house.

FURTHER, I am thinking that Divine Intervention is helping me along on a Resolution to spend less time hooked into the Net. Two of my delicious boytoys, one an old flame and one never seen, have proven once again that for all the extraordinary they are in talk on the Net, they would be quite the pain in reality, that there really is nothing out there. So why do I continue searching, sitting at the screen for that.....year after year?

One thing on the CD drive is....I have a desktop awaiting for its activation and I had to pay a pretty penny last year to make sure it came with a CD drive. Looking at the complaints of cheaper models, of how do I activate the CD drive and being told that model doesn't have a CD drive.....it appears that they were all using the same casings with the CD imprint on the front but nothing behind it. A wolf in cheap clothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrin0gbone View Post
... just a phone and not even answering machines... heaven in retrospect. No one could even leave you a message. If someone called you and you did not pick up, you were simply unavailable... no if ands or buts. They would have to try back later. Such is not the case nowadays... they can call you on your landline, your cell, text you, send you an email- assail you around the clock.
When I decide to answer the phone (and I have to because my work is like being on the Nostromo "Come on, Ripley, that's why we are on this bigger machine in the first place! It becomes our problem the machines can't handle it!"---Dallas in the novel), I answer it like Peter Graves as Jim Phelps with a Yes and then when they ask for me by my name, I respond like a Valet (Valette?) of Who Shall I Say Is Calling?........and when they say so I can tell it is not work, I hang up.

Part of it these days is just plain security. Sure, I am a Republican and I am not too crazy about who holds the throne.......but how do I know the caller isn't an Agent Provocateur for the holders of the throne, impersonating the cause they say?

BUT.....other than that, the answering machine has been used for decades as my way to field phone calls. That in itself sort of produced a little problem in a bigger problem the other week. Things happening on that bigger machine and the message wasn't getting to me. The answering machine has a 4 ring limit before it clicks in and I was sleeping through it. So turn off the answering machine when I go to bed?

Well, the catch to that is that for 30 years (how long I have had the number), everyone and their brother has had that number. When I am asked what's my frequent buyer phone number, I gave them that because I didn't worry about it being sold to telemarketers since I don't answer the phone but the machine does.

Another possible answer, however, was to activate the second landline in the house and use that for my ring till I wake up and answer the phone. I've had that number for 30 years as well, a hold over from dial up days, it is unlisted, and it has been sitting around for years, waiting for its next assignment. It exists under the concept of "Once an asset is established, it is held on to". Activating it would be a cheap if cumbersome solution in running a phone cable from the far side of the house of its jack to my bedroom, phone cable under doors.

As it was..........work had me write a procedure for anyone responding of what to do, who to call, and put it where it could be accessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Look up the printer on google and download the darn forgot what it is called - you know the program for it.
And watch out for the manual download site to make changes to your browser while you do it.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-31-2021 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-31-2021, 09:18 AM

11,124 posts, read 6,716,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't think anyone has a CD drive on their machine any more. Certainly none of mine do. I blame Steve Jobs.
My beloved laptop has a CD/DVD drive. Occasionally I watch a movie or listen to music that way. I dread the day this laptop dies.

Can't stand using the smartphone when I can use the laptop. I rarely look at the phone. Glad we only paid $150 each for them in 2016, lol. I do like the phone for taking photos, though we've never been able to figure out how to download the photos. Neither could our resident geek.

Printers! OMG. We got a new one and it has obscure, hard to decipher symbols instead of words. It's slow to start up and slow to power down and there is no manual except online AND you have to go online to their site to SCAN a document! So ridiculous. We hate it and wish we had our old dead one back.

Also, my Kindle "updated" itself and now no longer has any indication of how far you've read or where you're at. Can't find chapters or beginning or end anymore. Thanks so much, Kindle.

Now I read my books on the laptop where I can use the mouse to turn the pages, lol.

that's my rant-----

Old 12-31-2021, 09:51 AM

11,094 posts, read 6,998,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think technology has reached its sweet spot, peaked, and is now a source of stress to a lot of people. Well, that's how it seems to me.

It made things easier for a while but now that you need a phone for everything, and things keep changing so fast, it's time consuming and frustrating.

dh bought a new laptop. Well, being newer technology, it wouldn't connect to the printer so we had to call someone from the Geek Squad to come and get it going. Had to pay more money on top of money just to hook it up.

I love my new phone but there's so much on it that I don't need or that I can't figure out, that it's a little bit upsetting to me. I have no one to ask so I just soldier on as well as I can.

Everything has to be done online. Vaccinations, hair appointments, just about everything. In some places you have to pay for a parking meter with your phone--I would have no idea how to do that.

I stopped wanting things to get any more complicated right around the time we got decent laptops and phones. I don't need more apps, I don't like how laptops are ignored and everything is about phones. There are also few, if any, options for people who can't see well or don't have someone to show them how these things work. Some days I just want to return to the days of paper and pencils. /rant.
Could have written this myself! Recently spent an hour and a half trying to get the wireless printer to work after it had always worked just fine with both my desktop and my smartphone. Finally got it to work but it was so frustrating that I almost threw the printer out the door -- or was it my phone or the desktop LOL

I have vowed this next week or so to get rid of a lot of apps. I had a lot of trouble with my phone recently after 2 back to back system updates within a week (Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G). I do not like this phone. Suddenly voice activation stopped working for 2 weeks. I was just about to do a factory reset when suddenly voice activation started working again for no apparent reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
You'd be surprised at how much high tech stuff is really unnecessary.
Yes! Becoming more and more of a Luddite! Not gonna be forced into anything I can do a work around on.

Last edited by pathrunner; 12-31-2021 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-31-2021, 12:20 PM

43,477 posts, read 18,573,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
My beloved laptop has a CD/DVD drive. Occasionally I watch a movie or listen to music that way. I dread the day this laptop dies.

Can't stand using the smartphone when I can use the laptop. I rarely look at the phone. Glad we only paid $150 each for them in 2016, lol. I do like the phone for taking photos, though we've never been able to figure out how to download the photos. Neither could our resident geek.

Printers! OMG. We got a new one and it has obscure, hard to decipher symbols instead of words. It's slow to start up and slow to power down and there is no manual except online AND you have to go online to their site to SCAN a document! So ridiculous. We hate it and wish we had our old dead one back.

Also, my Kindle "updated" itself and now no longer has any indication of how far you've read or where you're at. Can't find chapters or beginning or end anymore. Thanks so much, Kindle.

Now I read my books on the laptop where I can use the mouse to turn the pages, lol.

that's my rant-----
Open a book. Go to the fonts and then "more" and then "reading progress" and select what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement