Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 05:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Sorry, but phones are high tech, especially smart phones. They are essentially a computer in a small form factor, which is why they are so expensive. Everything about a cell phone is the result of very costly high-tech R&D and use of semi-conductor circuit chips. That is ALL high-tech stuff. Software updates your phone uses are high-tech. Even old rotary dial phones used the highest technology for that time and was a major breakthrough in communication.

Want low tech? I hear the two cans and a string method still works. Now THATS low tech.
Not really. A basic smart phone is now "low to mid tech." They are so commonplace and basic these days.

High tech is VR/metaverse stuff. Robotic surgery and bionic artificial limbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 06:24 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't think anyone has a CD drive on their machine any more. Certainly none of mine do. I blame Steve Jobs.

HA! I have a very ancient Dell desktop with a CD drive I only use whenever I want to print something (otherwise I use my Chromebook or iPhone). If/when I ever move again that sucker isn't going with me.....

Old 12-31-2021, 06:40 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
I just started up a new phone and it stressed me so much, my eyes are sorta blurry and feel sorta stressed out! I got it done but it took me hours. I am trying not to call on my grown kids to do techy stuff for me but wow. I wear glasses and do not have that great of sight (mild cataracts at this point). Think I will call one of them to set up my new big number remote control, geez.
Tech is a stress point. Trust me, for years I had a job that required TECH SKILLS, but that wasn't the focus of the JOB!!!

Anyway, I learned to program in 1974. Learned that I wasn't good at it.

I am not anti-TECH. I have a automated astronomical observatory. I own six computers that I use for various uses. I have a IPHONE, but it is pretty much worthless. I do have a IPAD which I use constantly.

Anyway, here is how to keep from getting stressed out about TECH.

DON'T USE OR SIGN UP AN APP that you use less than once a week.

Go paper. That means your credit cards, and various bills and all your banking. If a business wants to bill you....tell them to send you a BILL via the USPS.

An incredible amount of time is wasted by updating passwords and other stupid things. You can steal 95% of my passwords...I don't care if you have access to my websites.

That is the advantage of going paper. No passwords to steal.

My Dr. wants me to go on-line. Right, I see her once a year. I call her if I need to talk to her, between yearly appointments. Last time she asked, I said fine, you set-up it up and YOUR my tech support for maintenance.

She refused the offer.

The reason businesses want YOU to go on-line is so they can OFF-LOAD their work ONTO YOU without payment.

What I learned when I took programming. Computers are wonderful at repetitive tasks.

If you don't do it once a week......go paper.

Think of all the days you will get back in your life without dealing with tech support!!!

I spent two days with Adobe tech support and finally said " I am an OLD MAN, I don't want to spend the few days I have left on this earth....talking to you."

Tech is wonderful. Make it work FOR YOU....instead of you WORKING FOR THE TECH companies.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:56 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,240 times
Belladl, appreciate your common sense advice and approach. Your comments will be quite useful for me.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:21 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
My friend is a very tech savvy person, retired engineer, can fix his own cars and house, etc. When he spends hours hooking up a new phone or computer and complains how complicated it is, I know I should just keep my laptop and mobile until they totally die and forget about a big screen TV. Not worth the stress nor the money.

You'd think Big Tech would figure out a way for Plug and Play phones, TVs and computers. They'd make even more money than they do now. Ah for the good old days of buying a TV, plugging it in and just switching it on!

Old 12-31-2021, 07:27 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Sorry, but phones are high tech, especially smart phones. They are essentially a computer in a small form factor, which is why they are so expensive.
When friends complain I don't use my mobile, this is what I tell them. I have no reason to carry a computer with me everywhere I go since I have one at home. All I need is a cheap phone to call if there is an emergency. A smart phone isn't worth the price for my needs. I do have one but only as part of a discount bundle for landline and internet.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:31 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
My friend is a very tech savvy person, retired engineer, can fix his own cars and house, etc. When he spends hours hooking up a new phone or computer and complains how complicated it is, I know I should just keep my laptop and mobile until they totally die and forget about a big screen TV. Not worth the stress nor the money.

You'd think Big Tech would figure out a way for Plug and Play phones, TVs and computers. They'd make even more money than they do now. Ah for the good old days of buying a TV, plugging it in and just switching it on!

Big Screen tvs these days aren't plug and play? Aren't they just the power cord and the hdmi cable?

Old 12-31-2021, 07:44 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Big Screen tvs these days aren't plug and play? Aren't they just the power cord and the hdmi cable?
Yeah, we got a Roku big screen TV, a snap to set up.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:22 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,421,491 times
How many times have you put in a known to be correct password only to get a incorrect password? Thats my trouble with tech.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:57 PM

319 posts, read 199,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Go paper. That means your credit cards, and various bills and all your banking. If a business wants to bill you....tell them to send you a BILL via the USPS.
Tech is wonderful. Make it work FOR YOU....instead of you WORKING FOR THE TECH companies.
The last sentence makes the first sentence agreeable. Set up what works for you, not what the tech industry touts as the best.

Not going with the flow; rejecting the smartphone as a necessary tool; means choosing how you want the business part of your life to proceed. As detailed by a lot of posters, that can take you down several paths. I was a paper person until about 10-12 years ago. When I decided to go paperless, I shredded enough documentation to fill four trash bags. Now, I download just about everything in PDF or spreadsheet form. It's necessary because we began traveling after retirement and I didn't want to come home to a towering mound of envelopes. Going online was necessary because I had to pay bills on the road.

It's been interesting to read the alternatives to a wholly smartphone life. It probably sounds more complex and probably a PITA to people who rely totally on their hand held device, but it's what we choose and feel most comfortable doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement