Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 04:29 PM

48,641 posts, read 35,125,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
How many times have you put in a known to be correct password only to get a incorrect password? Thats my trouble with tech.
Never.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 05:01 PM

37,309 posts, read 60,084,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think technology has reached its sweet spot, peaked, and is now a source of stress to a lot of people. Well, that's how it seems to me.

It made things easier for a while but now that you need a phone for everything, and things keep changing so fast, it's time consuming and frustrating.

dh bought a new laptop. Well, being newer technology, it wouldn't connect to the printer so we had to call someone from the Geek Squad to come and get it going. Had to pay more money on top of money just to hook it up.

I love my new phone but there's so much on it that I don't need or that I can't figure out, that it's a little bit upsetting to me. I have no one to ask so I just soldier on as well as I can.

Everything has to be done online. Vaccinations, hair appointments, just about everything. In some places you have to pay for a parking meter with your phone--I would have no idea how to do that.

I stopped wanting things to get any more complicated right around the time we got decent laptops and phones. I don't need more apps, I don't like how laptops are ignored and everything is about phones. There are also few, if any, options for people who can't see well or don't have someone to show them how these things work. Some days I just want to return to the days of paper and pencils. /rant.
Bought daughter and grandson laptops for Xmas
Not high end and bought the new warranty program from Best Buy at same time
Get free Geek Squad for all products bought at Best Buy
Likely many others did this
Hope they hire enough techs

Old 01-01-2022, 05:15 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,628,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
How many times have you put in a known to be correct password only to get a incorrect password? Thats my trouble with tech.
Passwords are only incorrect if inputted improperly. On sites which don't allow you to "see" the password before hitting enter, I always type the PW in the google search bar, copy and paste into the same search bar to be sure it's correct - and then copy into the PW login. Saves a lot of grief. I never have browser save the password. Most of my passwords don't matter. I don't worry about credit card or shopping site passwords. Exposure is a nuisance but not life altering. I DO care about banking and investment account passwords.

A safer way, actually, if one is afraid of keystroke loggers - is to keep login/passwords in a doc on USB drive, plug drive into computer, open doc, copy password, paste into login. I haven't gone that far, yet, b/c I rarely access my financial sites, but have thought about it.

My son went to an options trading seminar years ago. A trader there said one should never, never use the same computer for banking/financial/investment matters. ALWAYS use a separate machine. Probably makes sense for day traders and people who play the market a lot.

I haven't gone that far either, but do try to keep financial site online access to a minimum. Of late, I'm back to using automated telephone access to my bank accounts. For me, there is no need for an online access to my bank accounts although it is set up. Seriously thinking about having bank lock the account to online access.

When I read about hackers shutting down hospitals/medical systems for days - THINK ABOUT HOW DANGEROUS THAT IS - I shake my head in fury and disgust.

Originally, I was a big embracer of new tech. Last few years, the hassles and vulnerabilities - about which we read and hear every day - have taken the bloom off the rose.

Old 01-01-2022, 05:28 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,152,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Passwords are only incorrect if inputted improperly. On sites which don't allow you to "see" the password before hitting enter, I always type the PW in the google search bar, copy and paste into the same search bar to be sure it's correct - and then copy into the PW login. Saves a lot of grief. I never have browser save the password. Most of my passwords don't matter. I don't worry about credit card or shopping site passwords. Exposure is a nuisance but not life altering. I DO care about banking and investment account passwords.

A safer way, actually, if one is afraid of keystroke loggers - is to keep login/passwords in a doc on USB drive, plug drive into computer, open doc, copy password, paste into login. I haven't gone that far, yet, b/c I rarely access my financial sites, but have thought about it........
Me, just by nature, I don't write down passwords but I might write down the sequence they are based on. Usually, though, I hide them in pictures, like the lead story page in Adventure Comics #410 (Supergirl). That password is long since defunct and I don't recall what the link in that picture was but at the time, there it was.
Quote:
......I haven't gone that far either, but do try to keep financial site online access to a minimum. Of late, I'm back to using automated telephone access to my bank accounts. For me, there is no need for an online access to my bank accounts although it is set up. Seriously thinking about having bank lock the account to online access.....
Well, there are certainly those who want me to go that way. The BIG.....and small ones who don't want me to send them a cheque in the mail.

I can't say so much about the cheque in the mail BUT one of the defences against someone trying to con on the phone is to tell them to send the offer in writing through the US mail because then if it is false, it's mail fraud. Do those two words stop it? Not necessarily but to go that way involves the police forces of very dedicated people with very big guns.

As things go, though, I do have to often reset my passwords (or go searching through the diary of 3 months ago to find the right imagery) but that's okay for as difficult as that is for me, so it should be for any thief.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:40 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,586,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think technology has reached its sweet spot, peaked, and is now a source of stress to a lot of people. Well, that's how it seems to me.

It made things easier for a while but now that you need a phone for everything, and things keep changing so fast, it's time consuming and frustrating.

dh bought a new laptop. Well, being newer technology, it wouldn't connect to the printer so we had to call someone from the Geek Squad to come and get it going. Had to pay more money on top of money just to hook it up.

I love my new phone but there's so much on it that I don't need or that I can't figure out, that it's a little bit upsetting to me. I have no one to ask so I just soldier on as well as I can.

Everything has to be done online. Vaccinations, hair appointments, just about everything. In some places you have to pay for a parking meter with your phone--I would have no idea how to do that.

I stopped wanting things to get any more complicated right around the time we got decent laptops and phones. I don't need more apps, I don't like how laptops are ignored and everything is about phones. There are also few, if any, options for people who can't see well or don't have someone to show them how these things work. Some days I just want to return to the days of paper and pencils. /rant.
I agree 100%. Tipping point occurred already. At this point I’m finding the tech more and more cumbersome. At times I feel bullied in a way. I suspect as I grow even older this may become seriously problematic.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:49 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,331,638 times
As we are in isolation with the virus, had to set up account for online shopping. Food was delivered but could not get back into account for next lot. Tried to reset password but would not send link to reset password (even though the password was correct) Help desk closed for long weekend, contact by text resulted in being told to do what we already had done (unsuccessfully) In the end set up an entirely new account, again. Three more days in isolation and cannot wait to get out and shop the old fashioned way.

Won’t even start to share the details of the aggravation of trying to get a property settlement through at the moment, involving one of our biggest banks. Who are caught between the digital world and paper world, certain documents needing to be signed on paper and physically returned. Others to be done digitally and sent to them. Which is fun when the scanner is so slow. And they need to reissue the documents, both paper and digital because of “IT problems”

The combination of a certain amount of stress with almost the entire family having caught the virus, and dealing with these technology issues is not conducive to a decent night’s sleep.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:52 PM

48,641 posts, read 35,125,318 times
The worst "tech' issue we had was we were moving from Hawaii to Nevada. Have a local credit union in Hawaii, used it for escrow, they knew we were moving...

Gets time for closing and transferring the funds for house purchase, and the CU informs us we have to do it in person. Um... we are in NV. Husband had to fly back immediately.

Technically I think this is lack of technology stress.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 01-02-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-02-2022, 01:53 PM

22,103 posts, read 13,217,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I agree 100%. Tipping point occurred already. At this point I’m finding the tech more and more cumbersome. At times I feel bullied in a way. I suspect as I grow even older this may become seriously problematic.
Y'all realize it's optional, right? Life is only as complicated as you allow it to be...

I do resent such things as coupons and discounts that are available only by phone app, but I accept that as the price I pay for a simpler, less stressful way of life.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:07 PM

43,589 posts, read 18,651,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Cashless will be the next big one. Many countries in Europe have been moving there and this pandemic pushed more and more to go to electronic payments.

Might be wise to learn about e-wallets and start using them.

I started using Apple Pay myself mid 2020 and use it when I can in stores now.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:26 PM

22,103 posts, read 13,217,402 times
I manage to live "cashless" by using my credit card almost exclusively -- without technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement