Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 04:59 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times

Advertisements

I need very little human contact to be happy, as I'm a very independent and self-sufficient introvert (I can go days without leaving my house, as I have this past weekend), but even I need a little! A combination of pandemic cancellation of my routine group activities and an abrupt retirement deprived me of my usual sources of socialization, and I do feel that loss. I agree with the author that even casual, impersonal interactions when out in public help one feel "connected." IMHO, Internet transactions and self-service come with a cost...

Last edited by otterhere; 01-02-2022 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 05:04 PM

6,804 posts, read 4,511,392 times
That was so nice to read. I know many very nice people who enjoy living alone. Too many people paint them as whackos to avoid. I find people like this to be quite pleasant and nice, having no desire to impress, or to overpower a conversation, or to gossip about others.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:33 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
We have been solitary for years...The good side of this, is we are never lonely...the 'pandemic' will also have minimal effects on us.
Not to be pedantic, but a "we" cannot be solitary; there are two of you.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,616,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

That was so nice to read. I know many very nice people who enjoy living alone. Too many people paint them as whackos to avoid. I find people like this to be quite pleasant and nice, having no desire to impress, or to overpower a conversation, or to gossip about others.
I find your thought in blue and also your belief of what other people think of or believe about people who live alone to be very bizarre... and also inaccurate about what people think of those who live alone.

36 or 37 million people in the U.S. live alone.

28 percent of all households in the U.S. are people living alone.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...one-in-america

Old 01-02-2022, 07:05 PM

6,804 posts, read 4,511,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I find your thought in blue and also your belief of what other people think of or believe about people who live alone to be very bizarre... and also inaccurate about what people think of those who live alone.

36 or 37 million people in the U.S. live alone.

28 percent of all households in the U.S. are people living alone.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...one-in-america
Ummmm.... it's what I've heard from many other people, so......

Your statistic are rather pointless considering the conversation. If you disagree, then you disagree. Who the @#$% cares?

Old 01-02-2022, 09:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,772,686 times
Anybody who wants to work after retirement because they like the human contact is welcomed to do so by both extroverts and introverts. It is always—always—more pleasant to deal with a worker who wants to do the job, as opposed to feeling they resent having to for financial reasons.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:44 PM

2,902 posts, read 1,845,644 times
Reading the Posts, thought about my folks.

Pop was a bandleader, then salesman after the night clubs were dwindling. He was a quiet man, father. But he so enjoyed sharing his gift of music ! He played in a Dixieland band at the senior center, with other musicians, one a female who also played trumpet/cornet. He also drove cancer patients to their medical appointments.

Mom and Pop did make a few overseas trips, visited friends they made when they returned home. Pop moved go Heaven, age 82, Mom volunteered for the American Lung Association for almost 30 years she joined Pop, almost 94.

Volunteer I also enjoy; having worshiped with others today, especially talking to a veteran who served in the Korean War. People have such interesting stories !

As much as I enjoy others, Relish my time alone. There's Always a good book, my tweaking of "stuff", being on City-Data, reading your Posts. Majority interesting, caring, helpful.

Thank each of you for sharing !

Old 01-02-2022, 10:48 PM

35,231 posts, read 31,579,544 times
That's going to depend on the person.

I'm fairly extroverted (though with guardrails). As a recovering addict, the worst thing you can do is leave me completely alone and unattended. I'll start drinking alone.

I need structure. I need to be at the gym after work to lift at 5:30, done lifting by 6:15, cardio to 7:30. That's easy. Do I go home and cook from scratch? Do I go by the pub? The more grey areas I have, the worse I do.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:42 AM

7,996 posts, read 5,427,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
At last an article that says older people can be healthy without much social contact, doing solitary activities they love without feeling lonely. It does say a little contact us needed now and then, and even casual interaction helps.
That would describe me. I am still working and that is all the social interaction I need. I do solo activities/solo travel and I am quite happy with being solo.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:01 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not to be pedantic, but a "we" cannot be solitary; there are two of you.
You are technically correct, but like Three Dog Night sang,

"Two can be as bad as one, it's the loneliest number since the number one..un"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement