Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 01:02 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
It would probably be better stated that the people who surround them (even a spouse) are so incompatible it makes the person feel alone despite having beings with matching body temperatures in their space.
Granted; but FEELING alone is not BEING alone. At any rate, "solitary" (by definition) involves only one person.

Since I'm such a stickler, I'll have to check out the elder orphan controversy! The question of pets is an interesting one. While I personally believe pets are people -- and family -- and certainly great companions (better than most humans), you're still the only human...

Incidentally, if my spouse made me feel alone, I'd probably be looking to make a change in the new year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 01:43 PM

946 posts, read 777,834 times
I agree that it's an interesting topic "being alone". I agree with most everyone here, both sides. It can be a strange world sometimes. At least there's City Data. LOL.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:56 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,210,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I realize that the thread concerns "solitary activities"; the poster I quoted and responded to, however, mentioned "being solitary" with his spouse.

This is an age-old problem on C-D. Some people simply have no conception -- or are not capable of perceiving -- what it means to be literally alone, claiming to be "alone" with a spouse, child, grandchild, other relatives, friends, and neighbors (see the past "Alone for the Holidays" threads and note that they invariably wind up in the dumpster for this very reason).
I respect your point. I was more focused on the article nurturing solitary hobbies/activities.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:44 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I respect your point. I was more focused on the article nurturing solitary hobbies/activities.
And rightly so. Again, I was simply responding to the one poster who claimed "we are solitary."

Old 01-03-2022, 07:58 PM

1,205 posts, read 937,548 times
Clementina, glad you enjoyed your lunch! Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:40 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,648,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The fact that the past 2 years have led to a deterioration in human civility, a solitary existence is not a bad idea until people relearn how to interact with others in a civil and respectful way.
Don't hold your breath.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:27 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,291,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Clementina, glad you enjoyed your lunch! Thanks for the reply.
Glad I read what you posted.

I've eaten alone before when I was traveling for work, but in ordinary life - not really. If I did, it would be a drive through pick up thing and bring it home.

But to sit in a place and eat alone - I can't remember doing that before unless as I said while I was traveling for work.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've eaten alone before when I was traveling for work, but in ordinary life - not really. ...

But to sit in a place and eat alone - I can't remember doing that before unless as I said while I was traveling for work.
Worked for me today... "Happy (solitary) Hour".

Go early, more peace and quiet!

As always... I had a GREAT time!

Old 01-04-2022, 06:36 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,601,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
At last an article that says older people can be healthy without much social contact, doing solitary activities they love without feeling lonely. It does say a little contact us needed now and then, and even casual interaction helps.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/yo...te-11640817637
Yes, people are different. Some are more loners, some are more social. I'd expect the former to do much better being solitary than the latter. But humans do better, as a rule, to have at least some social contact and love.

Old 01-04-2022, 02:15 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,427,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
... Some people simply have no conception -- or are not capable of perceiving -- what it means to be literally alone, claiming to be "alone" with a spouse, child, grandchild, other relatives, friends, and neighbors (see the past "Alone for the Holidays" threads and note that they invariably wind up in the dumpster for this very reason).

Just got a long note from an old friend living in Europe, talking about his concern that he doesn't seem to care about other people, have friends, etc. He seems to take for granted his very happy marriage for some 35 years and refers to "living in isolation." Yes, isolation with the lovely Francesca. Without her, I think he'd note some other people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement