Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 10:32 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Without the SSA agent, you will not get your claim submitted and if you believe they do not know their job ... that I can not help you with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It is still the fact you posted wrong information no matter what .. regardless of what you think you heard them say go read the rules more than one of us posted

You arguing it is silly
Suggesting you call the ssa agent in your local area is not wrong information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 10:37 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Suggesting you call the ssa agent in your local area is not wrong information.
Believe what you want

Old 01-09-2022, 10:58 AM

Here is a nice chart with the changes . It even has the fact survivor can be filed as restricted application on it

Old 01-09-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not retired and receiving survivor benefits. Trust the question was asked and answered during the phone interview. If I file for disability, that would kick it to my retirement earnings. I had a separate phone interview for that, as well, and withdrew the disability claim. I don't know what to tell you but to call your local ssa office and discuss it with them.

Question: I work full-time, do I have to quit or reduce my hours?
Answer by interviewer: No

5 Things Every Woman Should Know About Social Security
Careful ,that link is old and pre the changes in the laws and has incorrect information.

I would not reference this at all anymore as it is before the changes in 2015 as evidenced by the wrong information on deeming.

That is no longer the case for survivor

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-09-2022 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-09-2022, 11:49 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
I'm not retired and receiving survivor benefits. Trust the question was asked and answered during the phone interview. If I file for disability, that would kick it to my retirement earnings. I had a separate phone interview for that, as well, and withdrew the disability claim. I don't know what to tell you but to call your local ssa office and discuss it with them.

Question: I work full-time, do I have to quit or reduce my hours?
Answer by interviewer: No

5 Things Every Woman Should Know About Social Security
Quote:
Careful ,that link is old and pre the changes in the laws and has incorrect information.

I would not reference this at all anymore as it is before the changes in 2015 as evidenced by the wrong information on deeming.

That is no longer the case for survivor
You know I didn't even know about all of this, before a debate on c-d and the posters called it to my attention. And that was the page I pulled up so as to verify what they told me to be true.

I have found my situation and where it fits:

Will working decrease my spousal survivor benefit?

"Can you work and receive a spouse's survivors benefits based on your deceased spouse's SSDI disability benefits? The simple answer to this question is: It depends.
<snip>
How much can I earn working without it affecting my survivors benefits?

How much you can work without your survivor benefits being reduced depends on your age. If you have reached full retirement age, there is no annual limit on the amount of money you can earn from working.

If you are not going to reach full retirement age within the year, you can only earn up to $18,960 (in 2021) before it starts to affect your survivors benefits."

That that I put in bold, must be where I fall; could be why she said no when I asked the earnings limit question --- you know they keep changing the age and year born. I've known for several years that I could retire as their statements told me I could. But I also know the amount wasn't worth it. Because for 14 years of my life I was a stay at home wife and mom. Funny too that I thought it was 12.5 years; it was the ssa agent that did the math and said so you were married for 14 years ...

You are not a ssa agent and neither am I. All I can post is what they told me. What they put on their website are guidelines ... No one is going to know for sure what their situation qualifies them for in the way of benefits until they meet with an agent of the ssa.

The colossal I would fall into is if I file for disability then that would kick it to my earnings not my spouses and that changes everything, according to the ssa agent I spoke with on the phone. Okay, that's it I'm done ...

Just to be clear --- please people call your local ssa office rather than go by anything posted on c-d, because we do not know what your situation is --- but the ssa does; they know all there is to know about you and they can help you with your decisions.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:36 PM

No one was talking about disability ….you were talking about survivor benefits not having a cap pre fra and not being effected by being fra. , your words and that is flat out wrong.

It was stated all along there is no earnings cap if you are passed fra so either you have a reading comprehension problem or you are not reading what is posted.

The argument here is full retirement age definitely has a bearing on survivor benefits because if you are under fra the earnings cap kicks in .

If you are telling us YOU ARE FULL RETIREMENT So there is no earnings cap that is not what you wrote and that is what we said to you all along ..

AT NO POINT DID YOU SAY YOU WERE FRA

Quote:
It's what they told me at the phone interview when I applied for survivor benefits. Survivor benefits and retirement benefits are two separate claims. Full retirement age has no bearing on survivor benefits; neither does employment hours. At the time they began I was employed full time ... for more information visit ssa.gov or call your local office.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-09-2022 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-09-2022, 07:08 PM

7,567 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
No one was talking about disability ….you were talking about survivor benefits not having a cap pre fra and not being effected by being fra. , your words and that is flat out wrong.

It was stated all along there is no earnings cap if you are passed fra so either you have a reading comprehension problem or you are not reading what is posted.

The argument here is full retirement age definitely has a bearing on survivor benefits because if you are under fra the earnings cap kicks in .

If you are telling us YOU ARE FULL RETIREMENT So there is no earnings cap that is not what you wrote and that is what we said to you all along ..

AT NO POINT DID YOU SAY YOU WERE FRA

You were supposed to be able to read her mind.

Folks, please don't post half arsed data as it doesn't do a thing to help someone who read these posts.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:44 PM

740 posts, read 473,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

Folks, please don't post half arsed data as it doesn't do a thing to help someone who read these posts.
don't be ridonkulous...fully trust... 15$ hr employees... read scripts know everything... forget metrics and trying to get rid of me for next call... they worry about me and thee... source material... meh.

I'll stop now. I posted, in an admittedly negative fashion, which I try never to do, because it is astonishing to me that some of us would rather trust/persist seemingly blindly in a bureaucracy, rather than what our own eyes can tell us, if we look for the facts ourselves, and then perhaps mislead others-- however innocently.

Moderator, please remove this post if it is deemed offensive. I apologize, and am also grateful for the posters that persisted in trying to arrive at the truth of the matter so as to inform others. I have an acquaintance that was informed wrongly in these matters and is now suffering the consequences...

Old 01-09-2022, 09:17 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
"What they put on their website are guidelines". Mmm, no. What they put on their website are rules.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

Plus continued to argue without saying at any point she means when you are fra , what a waste of time if that was the case .

I wasted my time trying to make sure no one accepted what she was saying about being fra not mattering as fact

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-10-2022 at 03:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement