Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 09:02 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
This is why we're looking to leave Vegas....great town but the growth is really out of control with rapidly decreasing water supply. It doesn't make sense what the local government is allowing to happen.

To the OP: Henderson isn't a suburb of Las Vegas...it is a continued Vegas sprawl just a few miles South of the strip. Yes, Henderson has its own police department and mayor...but it is really just an extension of Las Vegas. You can't tell when you leave one and get into the other.

The biggest downside to Las Vegas (besides water) is healthcare. I've had 4 doctors (NP's actually..) in 4 years at my family med clinic and been misdiagnosed twice for a simple lung infection. I'm healthy late 40's and can not imagine any significant health issue with what we've seen so far, few people I know either head to Phoenix or LA for any serious issues.

On the up side, anything you could imagine doing is within 30 minutes...anything. Sports, concerts, dining, hiking, biking, skiing, shooting, 4 wheeling...seriously, name just about anything other than deep sea fishing and I bet it could be done within a 30 minute drive.

Good luck!

Thanks for your comments. I actually knew that Henderson was a continuation of Vegas, but I was under the impression that Henderson was largely crime-free (which Vegas isn't), and a bit less expensive than good parts of Vegas. Please correct me if that is wrong - I have been to Vegas as a tourist, but have not lived there for extended time or worked there (as I did in most other desert areas that I mentioned), and I do not know NV in as much detail as I know CA or NM. Are there any other satellite settlements around Vegas similar to Henderson, ie, where you can get a reasonably priced (I am not looking for ultra cheap, but do not need luxury either) small condo, safe for a senior? Not worried about medical care, I have background in that, and would be able to direct my own care (unless I am unconscious, in which case I generally wouldn't want any care).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 09:10 AM

7,766 posts, read 3,798,128 times
Las Vegas is not being threatened by water levels in Lake Mead. Las Vegas has very active and extensive water recycling programs that returns a huge chunk of Las Vegas' allocation back to Lake Mead. Las Vegas never actually draws its full allocation, and usually draws only a small fraction of its allocation.

The Southern Nevada Water Authority supplies water to the area. Approximately 40 percent of the water in the Water Authority's service area is used indoors. Of that, about 99 percent is recycled, either for direct or indirect use.

The Bureau of Reclamation is responsible for water management along the Colorado River from Wyoming all the way down to Mexico.

See https://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/pao/pdfiles/crcompct.pdf and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact.

The compact divides the river basin into two areas, the Upper Division (comprising Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming) and the Lower Division (Nevada, Arizona and California). There is a separate treaty that guarantees water flows to Mexico. Add in several sovereign Native American Nations and their reservations. The Bureau of Reclamation manages the overall flow of water and allocation of water to the States.

At the end of the day, I expect water will be shut off to very low value-add uses like irrigating sod (ornamental grass to be harvested & sold at places like Home Depot & various landscape supply companies) in the the inland agricultural desert of California (places such as Brawley, CA in the Imperial Valley) long before water conservation seriously affects the human population in any of the states or Native American Nations.

I also expect more creative arrangements, such as arid Compact States (Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada) funding industrial-scale water desalination plants near San Diego to generate drinking water for use in SoCal in return California agreeing to lower its drawing rights from the Colorado River (of which Lake Mead is part).

The Bureau of Reclamation also manages the water level in Lake Mead behind the Hoover Dam by controlling how much water it retains in Lake Powell upriver. Lake Powell was created by building the Glen Canyon Dam completed back in the 1966 by the Bureau. It can literally fill Lake Mead by releasing water through the Glen Canyon Dam.

I don't mean to sugar coat it; the entire arid SouthWestern USA has been in drought conditions for quite a while, and has had a net in-migration of people placing demands on the entire water supply of the South West. But no one in Las Vegas is under the threat of turning on a water spigot and having nothing come out.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 01-10-2022 at 09:36 AM..

Old 01-10-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Las Vegas is not being threatened by water levels in Lake Mead. Las Vegas has very active and extensive water recycling programs that returns a huge chunk of Las Vegas' allocation back to Lake Mead.

The Southern Nevada Water Authority supplies water to the area. Approximately 40 percent of the water in the Water Authority's service area is used indoors. Of that, about 99 percent is recycled, either for direct or indirect use.

The Bureau of Reclamation is responsible for water management along the Colorado River from Wyoming all the way down to Mexico.

See https://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/pao/pdfiles/crcompct.pdf and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact.

The compact divides the river basin into two areas, the Upper Division (comprising Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming) and the Lower Division (Nevada, Arizona and California). There is a separate treaty that guarantees water flows to Mexico. Add in several sovereign Native American Nations and their reservations. The Bureau of Reclamation manages the overall process.

At the end of the day, I expect water will be shut off to very low value-add uses like irrigating sod (ornamental grass to be harvested & sold at places like Home Depot & various landscape supply companies) in the the inland agricultural desert of California (places such as Brawley, CA in the Imperial Valley) long before water conservation seriously affects the human population in any of the states or Native American Nations.

I also expect more creative arrangements, such as arid Compact States (Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada) funding industrial-scale water desalination plants near San Diego for use in SoCal in return California agreeing to lower its drawing rights from the Colorado (that is, allocation).

Alright. I'll take that into account. I would want an easy access to a swimming pool though.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:47 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times
If you like the outdoors and national parks, Moab, Utah has 5 parks nearby---Arches is almost "in town".

It has stunning world-class scenery everywhere you look and the Colorado River runs through it. It's high desert, 4,000 ft. I'd vote for Moab, lived there 10 years (DH lived there 30+ years). It's pretty small---used to be around 4,000 people but more since we left in 2016.

They have a good local hospital but you have to be sent to Grand Junction for anything not simple.

Artsy, old-hippy vibe, several good restaurants, lots of tourists. My joints preclude the hiking, horseback riding and kayaking we used to do, but it was terrific while I was there.

Only Laguna Beach would compete in my mind. Grew up close to it, seeing "Pageant of the Masters" every year was a major highlight.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
If you like the outdoors and national parks, Moab, Utah has 5 parks nearby---Arches is almost "in town".

It has stunning world-class scenery everywhere you look and the Colorado River runs through it. It's high desert, 4,000 ft. I'd vote for Moab, lived there 10 years (DH lived there 30+ years). It's pretty small---used to be around 4,000 people but more since we left in 2016.

They have a good local hospital but you have to be sent to Grand Junction for anything not simple.

Artsy, old-hippy vibe, several good restaurants, lots of tourists. My joints preclude the hiking, horseback riding and kayaking we used to do, but it was terrific while I was there.

Only Laguna Beach would compete in my mind. Grew up close to it, seeing "Pageant of the Masters" every year was a major highlight.

I know Moab, and agree it is an awesome place. I could not. however, find any small condos listed for sale. I don't want a house, so not sure how I would live in Moab. Otherwise, it is definitely great! PS - and as soon as I wrote it, I have to take it back :-). Same as in Los Alamos, NM, I see there has been sone new construction. The smallest units are still bigger than what I need, but there seems to be at least one newly built complex with 1 bdrm units, going for $205k-$220k. Need to explore that. Yes, Moab would be good! PPS- actually, this condo complex seems to be still under construction, to be finished this year, but they are selling units in advance. In 2016 when I looked, there was nothing there by way of condos. Hopefully the municipality figured out that there was an interest, and there might be more of that type of housing by the time I would seriously consider moving into desert - like maybe in 25+ years, as I start approaching 90?

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-10-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-10-2022, 10:43 AM

16,076 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

A shout out to Moab and Grand Junction....
I recently spent a couple days in Moab in October and was favorably impressed as a tourist place. I don't know what it would be like to live there as a retiree. It seemed like the average age was maybe 30. I had a bad experience there in the 1980s (got sick) and was not excited about going back but it won me over this time. It seemed to me to be a foodie outpost in the desert. The parks are there -- there was a traffic jam going into Arches (been there before) but no problem at Canyonlands (first visit). There seemed to be a lot of tourist activities but not much of what I would want to do on a day-to-day basis. I have retired friends who go there for back-country bike trails.

We almost moved to Grand Junction to retire about ten+ years ago. I have always liked the place and the environs. It has a microclimate that is milder than the rest of Colorado, so they grow peaches and there are a lot of vineyards and wineries. The town is the biggest place on Colorado's western slope, and as a regional commercial town it seems bigger than it is. I guess it can be considered a desert town, but it seems heavy into agriculture. I still go there to fish up on the Grand Mesa every couple of years. The Colorado National Monument is there, and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is not far away. On my recent visit in October, it seemed crowded to me so maybe it has been discovered. It has more than doubled in size since I first started going there in the 1980s. We looked at houses but could not find a place we liked in our price range. Fruita and Palisade are little towns nearby.

Both of these places would be good for an active outdoor retiree. We opted for New Mexico when we finally decided to relocate as it is a little warmer and better suited to our interests.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:41 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
Hi elnrgby:
I would like to suggest the Monterey, CA area. There is no desert, but there are many beautiful, sandy beaches. For six lustrum we loved the outdoors/exploring/the beautiful land/good food. We enjoyed doing a lot of camping, fishing, playing among the Redwoods & Sequoia Giants/the beaches/the forests/beautiful Spring wildflowers.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium, is an Awesome sight to behold& Pacific Groves Monarch Butterflies...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=canner...&wsso=Moderate

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Pacifi...&wsso=Moderate

There is the beautiful amazing Monterey Asilomar Beach...
https://www.bing.com/search?q=asilom...&wsso=Moderate

Pacific Grove Lover's Point Beach.

There are so many Wonders of Beauty & Awe to be seen on the Monterey, Peninsula.

If you wish for it to be a little warmer head over to the Carmel Valley.https://www.bing.com/search?q=carmel...&wsso=Moderate

I know you will enjoy Monterey Peninsula.
There is so much more to be seen. It takes years.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Hi elnrgby:
I would like to suggest the Monterey, CA area. There is no desert, but there are many beautiful, sandy beaches. For six lustrum we loved the outdoors/exploring/the beautiful land/good food. We enjoyed doing a lot of camping, fishing, playing among the Redwoods & Sequoia Giants/the beaches/the forests/beautiful Spring wildflowers.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium, is an Awesome sight to behold& Pacific Groves Monarch Butterflies...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=canner...&wsso=Moderate

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Pacifi...&wsso=Moderate

There is the beautiful amazing Monterey Asilomar Beach...

Pacific Grove Lover's Point Beach.

There are so many Wonders of Beauty & Awe to be seen on the Monterey, Peninsula.

If you wish for it to be a little warmer head over to the Carmel Valley.https://www.bing.com/search?q=carmel...&wsso=Moderate

I know you will enjoy Monterey Peninsula.
There is so much more to be seen. It takes years.

Thank you, but I have been living on two coasts for 13 years already, including my small secondary condo in San Francisco. So, I have been to Monterey quite a bit, and yes, it is beautiful. But if I decide to leave big cities very late in life, I will very specifically want to be in the desert.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:36 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
okie dokie...

I hope you find everything your looking for.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Thank you, but I have been living on two coasts for 13 years already, including my small secondary condo in San Francisco. So, I have been to Monterey quite a bit, and yes, it is beautiful. But if I decide to leave big cities very late in life, I will very specifically want to be in the desert.
OP,

Perhaps you can share what else you're looking for your retirement condo besides being in the desert.

The desert is one vast open space. You can almost close your eyes and point to a place on the map and it will still be in the desert. For example, access to food, restaurants, cultures, and medical facilities, etc.

You maybe happy being in the middle of nowhere such as Truth or Consequences, NM (spaceport America), there's nothing there (I've been there) but surely there're supporting infracstructures that you'll need in your retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement