Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 11:53 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times

Advertisements

In some different forums that I don't frequent too often (Travel, World) people sometimes compare two cities, like NYC vs. London, Helsinki vs. Lisbon, or whatever.

Yesterday I was commenting in some different thread, and posted that I was unlikely to retire to a non-urban area, but if I would, that area would be somewhere in the desert. While I am still unlikely to pursue non-urban locations, it did bring back fond memories of desert trips.

So, suppose I retired to a desert, what would you say would be pros and cons of Palm Springs, CA vs. vicinity of Las Vegas, NV (maybe Henderson) vs. a small desert city or town in the Four Corners (like maybe Farmington, NM)? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 12:03 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
CA has higher income tax and tax your retirement so that may be a consideration. If you're gay, then the social support in the Palm Springs area may outweigh that factor.

Other things to consider such as closeness to hospitals and doctors, a major airport if you like to travel. As such, Las Vegas, Phoenix areas are high on the list.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:13 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Coming from SoCal, I can tell you about Palm Springs. It's very hot in summer. Sometimes hotter than Phoenix. The flip side is it's usually very comfortable in winter with skiing available close by.
Another pro is that you're still in driving distance to huge cities like San Diego and Los Angeles and all the beaches and cities in-between. Riverside isn't too far and that probably has everything you would need as far as doctors and healthcare. SoCal doesn't really lack anything as far as stores and restaurants, and it's all within driving distance if you don't mind the horrendous traffic. The scenery in PS is beautiful with snow capped mountains at almost a stone's throw. If you're into golf, there are several world class golf courses and country clubs.
I also believe the electrical rates are among the highest in the country and you won't feel like skimping on the AC when it's 115 outside. There are other cities adjacent to PS that are not very desirable at all.

Downtown Palm Springs

Last edited by marino760; 01-09-2022 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-09-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Coming from SoCal, I can tell you about Palm Springs. It's very hot in summer. Sometimes hotter than Phoenix. The flip side is it's usually very comfortable in winter with skiing available close by.
Another pro is that you're still in driving distance to huge cities like San Diego and Los Angeles and all the beaches and cities in-between. Riverside isn't too far and that probably has everything you would need as far as doctors and healthcare. SoCal doesn't really lack anything as far as stores and restaurants, and it's all within driving distance if you don't mind the horrendous traffic. The scenery in PS is beautiful with snow capped mountains at almost a stone's throw. If you're into golf, there are several world class golf courses and country clubs.
I also believe the electrical rates are among the highest in the country and you won't feel like skimping on the AC when it's 115 outside. There are other cities adjacent to PS that are not very desirable at all.
Nah, you might as well live in Newport Beach. Close to EVERYTHING and no need for AC in the summer. Just open the windows.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Nah, you might as well live in Newport Beach. Close to EVERYTHING and no need for AC in the summer. Just open the windows.
Oh sure, are we talking about having an almost endless amount of money If that's the case, I vote for Laguna Beach.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Oh sure, are we talking about having an almost endless amount of money If that's the case, I vote for Laguna Beach.
I think OP is doing well financially

I like Laguna Beach. It's an artist community on top. The nearby Laguna Niegal has lots of retirement condos which as part of HOA includes meals if I understand.

There's a landing in Newport Beach. I used to jumped on a party boat for a day of fishing. Sometimes they go across the channel to Catalina Island. During Springs and Fall, we'd see whales migration across the channels.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
CA has higher income tax and tax your retirement so that may be a consideration. If you're gay, then the social support in the Palm Springs area may outweigh that factor.

Other things to consider such as closeness to hospitals and doctors, a major airport if you like to travel. As such, Las Vegas, Phoenix areas are high on the list.

Thank you. CA does not tax social security, and the tax rate is only 2% on the first $22k of other taxable income, then 4% on the next $12k. NM is actually worse, they tax social security too. But, as a former highish earner (and furthermore self-employed, no dependents), I had been paying cruel taxes for many years when I worked, so a low taxation on low income in retirement doesn't really faze me. It would not override my liking of the place. Btw, the OP is doing reasonably okay financially, but expects only about 1/3 of her retirement income to be taxable (ie, the income will be mostly annuities, and a substantial part of annuity payment is just the return of after-tax premium). The OP is also super frugal by nature, does not care for luxury, only safety from crime (although that safety is starting to become a luxury in many places).

Old 01-09-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Thank you. CA does not tax social security, and the tax rate is only 2% on the first $22k of other taxable income, then 4% on the next $12k. NM is actually worse, they tax social security too. But, as a former highish earner (and furthermore self-employed, no dependents), I had been paying cruel taxes for many years when I worked, so a low taxation on low income in retirement doesn't really faze me. It would not override my liking of the place.
In that case, come to Orange County. It has EVERYTHING you're looking for, plus the weather is much better.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Downtown Palm Springs

Thank you. Where adjacent to Palm Springs is not desirable?

Old 01-09-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Thank you. Where adjacent to Palm Springs is not desirable?
Cathedral City that I know of was always a dump with a high crime rate. My work used to take me to PS many years ago. It was part of my work territory so I became familiar with it. I used to work for Southern California Edison. I know at that time, some people's electric bills in summer were almost as high as their mortgage

Not sure if anything has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement