Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 09:14 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well, you are right that a city/civilization is more my style... as I said, chances are that I will always want to be in a large city, so this is likely just a theoretical discussion :-). But if I should decide some day that I am too old to get anything more out of a city, I could only envision becoming a true desert rat - miles from nowhere with sand and a swimming pool :-). Except that I would not be equipped for truly living miles from nowhere. A good library will always be indispensable (which is why I mentioned Farmington, NM - a high quality public library is the prime claim of fame of that small city), and someplace to get food. Famous healthcare facilities are not important to me, only a stroke center within 25 miles. Acute stroke care by invasive radiology is becoming pretty routine everywhere nowadays (ie, stroke is the only condition for which I would want to actually have immediate aggressive care). So anyway, yes, Santa Fe is very interesting, but thoughts about desert are strictly for my very old age when I might not be able to venture too far from home (ie, when living in a large city might become a waste of money, since I could not prowl around the city any more anyway, and could benefit more from a swimming pool for the remaining possibilities of physical activity).
Henderson is going to be way too slow for you (I'd say it's better for couples). I cannot see you in Southern Nevada. Palm Springs is gorgeous (the cutest airport I've ever been in). California is just way more social and you would not have trouble finding friends. It's super close to LA (so, anything you need is very close). S. CA is a desert (even if you don't consider it one). Arizona is gorgeous; but, Phoenix has is turning into LA. I have not been to Santa Fe.

Palm Springs sits on the San Andreas Fault (which is due to blow of course)... Also, a lot of the real estate there is Indian owned and leased land (something to be aware of with real estate in Palm Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 09:33 PM

3,086 posts, read 2,215,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I agree - Moab, UT is great. We did a national/state park tour around there in September, and it was truly wonderful. All the things you you point to were A+.
Correction - was great. Overrun by tourists and noisy ATVs. It used to be a fantastic place but not anymore.

Instead of Moab, Torrey UT might be worth a look - but depends if it fits your idea of dessert. The only small risk is that it turns into another Moab! Boulder, UT is better but not sure if that’s true in the late old age.

That said, I am too obtuse to get the logic of late old age in small towns - necessarily away from quality healthcare. Not that you want to spend that time in the hospitals but not being in a convenient distance of one is altogether different.

Last edited by kavm; 01-10-2022 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-10-2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Great thread, I've learned so much about desert locations throughout the southwest. I would find such a climate almost ideal, and have always found the desert starkly beautiful. I could definitely see me relocating to the southwestern U.S. if I don't move overseas someday.
They forgot to mention the water issues. For that reason I would only rent in the desert.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Under the circumstances described, very old and not able to get around much, of the places mentioned I would choose Sedona. Of course I'd want a patio or balcony with a view of some gorgeous red rock formations. Sitting outside with a good book, coffee in the morning, a glass of wine in the afternoon, and the view. That would be a pretty nice way to live out the last years IMO.
Oh yeah, to die for... Plus the alien space ships are a bonus

Old 01-10-2022, 10:22 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
I went through this same exploratory notion a few years ago, typically ended up around Tucson but folks seemed divided over its nearness to beautiful wilderness, good food, low costs, etc., vs it being somewhat lackluster & sleepy & terrible to drive across town to get anywhere. The best places seem to be clustered higher up & NE of town.

An interesting place that intrigues me a bit is Green Valley south of Tucson where ownership of a house seems to automatically enlist you into membership in about 13 or so community-based centers with pools, clubs, activities, gyms, etc.... Mostly retired people, don't know about condos or health care there.

I eventually figured that somewhere in Phoenix would be better for me in old age what with all the urban variety & uber, health care choices... but the ever rising temps, water issues have put me off.

Perhaps one of these places as a winter retreat but still not sure about a total move. Moab is great but health care is far, I have spent some time in Ivins, UT just outside of St George which is beautiful & changing but I couldn't full-time there either, too boring culture-wise.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I know Moab, and agree it is an awesome place. I could not. however, find any small condos listed for sale. I don't want a house, so not sure how I would live in Moab. Otherwise, it is definitely great! PS - and as soon as I wrote it, I have to take it back :-). Same as in Los Alamos, NM, I see there has been sone new construction. The smallest units are still bigger than what I need, but there seems to be at least one newly built complex with 1 bdrm units, going for $205k-$220k. Need to explore that. Yes, Moab would be good! PPS- actually, this condo complex seems to be still under construction, to be finished this year, but they are selling units in advance. In 2016 when I looked, there was nothing there by way of condos. Hopefully the municipality figured out that there was an interest, and there might be more of that type of housing by the time I would seriously consider moving into desert - like maybe in 25+ years, as I start approaching 90?

I would think Scottsdale would win because the Mayo clinic there. There is so many services to seniors in the Phoenix and Tucson areas due to the multitudes of retirees in the area. It's a no brainer. But, I do like Palm Springs a lot (then you are dealing with LA for medical).

Old 01-10-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You must be extremely well-off to be able to have a Bay Area home you live in only part-time.

Fluffy I think she said she has small condos in SF, Queens, NY and Boston???

I think she should sell NY because it's too close to sea level; trade that for somewhere high and dry...

Old 01-11-2022, 06:28 AM

8,345 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Henderson is going to be way too slow for you (I'd say it's better for couples). I cannot see you in Southern Nevada. Palm Springs is gorgeous (the cutest airport I've ever been in). California is just way more social and you would not have trouble finding friends. It's super close to LA (so, anything you need is very close). S. CA is a desert (even if you don't consider it one). Arizona is gorgeous; but, Phoenix has is turning into LA. I have not been to Santa Fe.

Palm Springs sits on the San Andreas Fault (which is due to blow of course)... Also, a lot of the real estate there is Indian owned and leased land (something to be aware of with real estate in Palm Springs.

Thank you for the info re leased land in Palm Springs. It did occur to me that, at the point at which I would seek a desert, I would also probably be old enough not to own my condo any more, ie, could consider renting (particularly in Palm Springs). As mentioned, my desert interests would be strictly for VERY old age, when I can't wander around in cities any more. I'm not interested in finding friends (I don't generally go finding friends, I have enough friends who date from some intense times in life, and they are scattered all over the world - in the times of cyber-communication, it does not matter where friends live).

Re your other post, my NYC condo is not in Queens, but in the Bronx (which certainly has its own concerns , but flooding is not one of them - it has stayed dry through Hurricane Sandy and every other storm or water surge in the past nearly 14 years that I have owned it). But, unless, there is some major change, I'm not planning to keep that one for too much longer, or live there in extremely old age. That condo has served its purpose of letting me thoroughly familiarize myself with NYC for cheap and without too much risk, but I don't think I will want it for any other purposes.

Most of the awesome desert places mentioned in this thread are in earthquake zones (though Sedona is not!). Well, so is certainly San Francisco, where I spend a lot of time. What can you do. Even if I get brained by a flying window at the age of 95 in a large quake, it would still be worth it to have some pleasant slow times in the desert at the end of life prior to the encounter with the window...

Old 01-11-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
Have you looked at Corrales, NM?
Small town ambience, still a lot of rural feeling, large 1 acre homesites, lower crime than surrounding ABQ.

Green if you live below the irrigation ditches, more deserty sere/brown if you buy above them. Very close to health care in Rio Ranch or even ABQ.

Thank you for the reminder. Corrales could be of interest, but I am looking for a small condo, definitely not a large homesite. IF I decide on high desert. Still not sure about high desert vs. palm desert. It has been very cold here in Boston, so I think my dreams are beginning to drift towards palms :-).

Old 01-11-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I went through this same exploratory notion a few years ago, typically ended up around Tucson but folks seemed divided over its nearness to beautiful wilderness, good food, low costs, etc., vs it being somewhat lackluster & sleepy & terrible to drive across town to get anywhere. The best places seem to be clustered higher up & NE of town.

An interesting place that intrigues me a bit is Green Valley south of Tucson where ownership of a house seems to automatically enlist you into membership in about 13 or so community-based centers with pools, clubs, activities, gyms, etc.... Mostly retired people, don't know about condos or health care there.

I eventually figured that somewhere in Phoenix would be better for me in old age what with all the urban variety & uber, health care choices... but the ever rising temps, water issues have put me off.

Perhaps one of these places as a winter retreat but still not sure about a total move. Moab is great but health care is far, I have spent some time in Ivins, UT just outside of St George which is beautiful & changing but I couldn't full-time there either, too boring culture-wise.

As mentioned, I am a very city person, so desert thoughts are strictly for a possible extremely old age. If I stop being able to get around in a city, then city living might become wasteful at the end. But here I am talking about my 90s-100s. Again, healthcare is not my concern. I had worked in healthcare for decades, in all kinds of settings, from the most famous and reputable, to small rural hospitals, and I know what there is to know. The difference between "top quality" and "bad" might be somewhat smaller than what laypeople think :-).

While it is becoming unwieldy to respond to every comment here, I really appreciate the input from everyone! Lots of useful info and suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement