Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 09:01 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times

Advertisements

Yes after 75 Old Men and Old Women get a hard pass and they usually are correct.

You think that old man was rough, don't pizz off an old grandma that's raised 3-5 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 09:02 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Go back to the 1940s where in public restrooms on trains people were expected to not only flush the toilet but actually wipe down the sink after they used it so that it would be clean for the next person. How far we have fallen.

I still wipe down the sink if there are towels available. It only takes a moment. Amtrak is not as conscientious about such things as one would hope.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:08 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yes after 75 Old Men and Old Women get a hard pass and they usually are correct.

You think that old man was rough, don't pizz off an old grandma that's raised 3-5 kids.
IMO you never get a hard pass for being jerk regardless of your age. Why some old people think they can be as abusive and rude as they like and get an “I’m old” pass while grumbling constantly about the bad manners of the younger generations is ridiculous. If a behavior is wrong at 25, it’s still wrong at 75.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:08 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
People really are so effing selfish these days. And yelling at strangers for any reason other than a warning of impending catastrophe is just over the top. Both men in the OP were in the wrong.

Post #18 about the neighbor complaining about the garage door reminded me of our first encounter with new neighbors who moved into a home recently constructed across the road from us. We put up with the incessant construction noise (heavy equipment back-up beepers, nail guns, pounding hammers, and saws, etc) of the building of their home daily from dawn 'til dark for 6-9 months. They moved in last summer and one evening in August, at about 7:30 pm, my husband was mowing our lawn near sunset due to the 95 degree daytime temps and high humidity. The new jerk comes outside and starts waving frantically at my hubby on the riding mower. When hubby looks across to see what this guy is doing, the neighbor starts pointing at his watch, as if to say it's too late to do yardwork. REALLY! Our neighborhood noise rules state that there should be no excessive noise after 10 pm, so we weren't doing anything against the rules, and this guy thinks my hubby should get heatstroke rather than disturb the man's TV show or something. People are very selfish these days.

You've just met a future member of the HOA board.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:09 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
There’s never an excuse to act like a raging ahole jerk. NEVER.

Not to mention that the oldster went off not even knowing if the toilet WOULD flush. That’s happened to all of us. You do your business and the toilet won’t flush for some reason. How about not jumping to conclusions and asking a simple question like “Does this toilet not flush?”. That would have been a reasonable reaction while getting potty rage is not.

Jerks and rude people exist in ALL generations. Old people have zero claim to the moral high ground when it comes to manners. Some have them and some are screaming at strangers in the rest room.
Nope. There are rare instances when being loud and offensive actually is the only strategy left. I remember standing politely at the counter of a computer shop waiting to get my computer that had supposedly been repaired, I was being totally ignored, the clerks were talking amongst themselves about personal business and after a period of time I had had enough. There were many many other customers in the store. I used my command voice that anybody who has ever had to deal with large crowds use. Everybody in the store could hear me State loudly and clearly I have been waiting here for over an hour and I have had no service. I will guarantee you that not only did I get service but I informed other customers about how they should expect to be treated by these jerks.

There are also other instances where being loud and rude is important. In the case of police coming into the middle of an argument, I will guarantee you that there will be loud command words chosen to take control of the situation immediately without any harm coming to people. I am not saying that being rude and loud is something that should be used casually, but only when there is clear and pressing need.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:14 AM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
"I have a younger co-worker who has two young teenagers who keep peeing on the wall behind the toilet. He was so proud of the fact that he tiled behind the toilet two feet up from the floor so it easier for his wife to clean the walls."

This! This is where the younger generations are coming from. From the generation AFTER us (Boomers) raising kids, our kids who make their own rules because we were too (fill in the blank) strict, old-fashioned, anal, sexist, racist, uncompromising, polite, cared too much about what others thought, and the like.

I speak from experience. This is NOT my generation, and my child is not living it or raising children to be so "yesterday".....I keep my mouth shut, and when I do speak up I am greeted with silence, as child is obviously not in agreement with me. I sometimes ask myself "is this the child I raised?"

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 01-10-2022 at 09:34 AM..

Old 01-10-2022, 09:33 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,740 times
as a crabby old man ( kinda 68 ) i dont have the patience anymore and dont give a )*&(*^&& if your feelings are hurt when i correct your bad behavior. i am not your parent and they did a crappy job teaching basic manners if i climb your butt when i see you do dumb things -

throwing trash - not holding doors open and saying thank you will get as response from -not to mention using bad language, letting your screaming kids play around at a restaurant

Old 01-10-2022, 09:39 AM

5,195 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
"I have a younger co-worker who has two young teenagers who keep peeing on the wall behind the toilet. He was so proud of the fact that he tiled behind the toilet two feet up from the floor so it easier for his wife to clean the walls."

This! This is where the younger generations are coming from. From the generation AFTER us (Boomers) raising kids, our kids who make their own rules because we were too (fill in the blank) strict, old-fashioned, anal, sexist, racist, uncompromising, polite, cared too much about what others thought, and the like.

I speak from experience. This is NOT my generation, and my child is not living it or raising children to be so "yesterday".....I keep my mouth shut, and when I do speak up I am greeted with silence, as child is obviously not in agreement with me. I sometimes ask myself "is this the child I raised?"
My dad was strict (to me) and I thought he was square. I promised myself that when I reached a much older age I would be a lot more tolerant than he was.

I try not to bring generational differences into the picture as I work with a new group of apprentices each year and I find myself shaking my head many times with some of them, but much to my delight and satisfaction my employees in their mid to late thirty's are besides themselves in dealing with these employees right out of high school and in their early twenty's as far as work ethic and lack of life experiences (jobs, responsibilities, etc.). Some are fine but a good amount of them just don't seem want to become involved in work at all. This shows it is not me and my age differences

Old 01-10-2022, 09:39 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
The older I get, the less Life in Prison is a deterrent.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:42 AM

5,195 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
as a crabby old man ( kinda 68 ) i dont have the patience anymore and dont give a )*&(*^&& if your feelings are hurt when i correct your bad behavior. i am not your parent and they did a crappy job teaching basic manners if i climb your butt when i see you do dumb things -

throwing trash - not holding doors open and saying thank you will get as response from -not to mention using bad language, letting your screaming kids play around at a restaurant
I think our parents playbooks for raising children has been out of circulation for awhile.

I have a close friend and I always say, maybe you and I are f%*%$k up and everyone else is normal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement