Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 10:24 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonLady View Post
Yes, it's amazing isn't it ! The birds may have interpreted what you were doing as doing it FOR THEM. My chickens sure did. Our chickens used to hop on my hand as I dug up the worms, they were so excited. they KNEW I was doing it for them so they could take some time from the effort of scratching up the pile.
Oh you don't know it took all my strengths to resist buying baby chicks at the local feed store! They were SO CUTE! and at only $2/each it was a bargain. But the DW put her feet down on the chickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 10:25 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Small vegetable gardening can be very rewarding in so many ways...but pls. don't get into it to save money!

I've had some great bountiful produce one year and crummy, scant produce the next--depends on weather, rain and insects.

But the fresh produce you harvest is so much tastier than store bought.

You can always buy from the local small farmer nearby if you have one...

One hint--don't overdo one vegetable. You'll get very tired of it quickly when it all seems to ripen at once! 12 big zukes are overwhelming...

Old 01-27-2022, 10:35 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

So is buying a $200 timer! At some point one has to say "no" to technology.

I have a justification for that beyond veggies. We have 2 acres of landscape (a lot of rock and stuff too), and if we leave for a two week trip and all of sudden we get a heat wave over 100 that was unanticipated, it would be good to be able to increase watering from afar.

Not saying I'm GOING to buy it. Generally speaking I have a "wait for the existing one to break before upgrading rule." Thus I had the huge TVs well into the 2010's, that everyone made fun of me for.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-27-2022, 06:38 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Oh you don't know it took all my strengths to resist buying baby chicks at the local feed store! They were SO CUTE! and at only $2/each it was a bargain. But the DW put her feet down on the chickens.
You must live outside city limits or have acreage. I don't think any city in SoCal would allow chickens or farm animals on residential property at least anymore.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:53 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You must live outside city limits or have acreage. I don't think any city in SoCal would allow chickens or farm animals on residential property at least anymore.
Have not checked but I think you're correct. But it's a moot point unless I want to be single again

Old 01-28-2022, 01:02 AM

198 posts, read 109,087 times
Quote:
so that's why I saw baby chicks on clearance for $1 with squashed heads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement