Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 07:28 PM

550 posts, read 368,659 times

Advertisements

I've been reading Square Foot Gardening, and it sounds doable but does anyone have any real-life experience with it?

With inflation and potential cyberattacks, I think it would be wise to be more self-sufficient, but I've never planted anything in my life. (My late husband did the yard work).

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 07:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
For fun / if you're interested gardening is a great past-time.

Depends on your climate / space / time / water and sun availability.

Hint: gardening is NOT cheaper than buying produce + it takes time + the critters like your garden (Rabbits, moles, DEER...) and... weather can be a stinker (hail / heat / dreary / too wet)

Best way to get info is from your local county Agriculture extension service / Master Gardener help line. (Classes available). Try to stick with local varieties to save yourself pest, temperature, water, and growing season woes.

Another source for fresh produce is to join as CSA (local growers), or to join a Gleaner group. (Some food pantries do this) https://www.gcfb.org/

First critical bit of info is Where Are you?
How much space do you have for a garden?
What would you like to grow? (Don't say corn!)

Old 01-20-2022, 07:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Ask in the 'gardening' forum. You'll be much more likely to find gardeners there than here.

We're in a condo, and literally the only place we have that gets enough sunlight is just outside our door. We've grown cherry tomatoes and basil and cilantro out there, in containers.

And no, it's not a money-saving thing - but the tomatoes have flavor (unlike most store-bought tomatoes), and the basil and cilantro are right there when we need some.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:57 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
I've been reading Square Foot Gardening, and it sounds doable but does anyone have any real-life experience with it?

With inflation and potential cyberattacks, I think it would be wise to be more self-sufficient, but I've never planted anything in my life. (My late husband did the yard work).

Any suggestions?
Gardening is a HOBBY. Do it if you have an interest. It's a wonderful hobby from personal experience. It gave me a chance to exercise and doing something I enjoy.

If you have not planted anything before, start something small and manageable. For example, grow herb & spices indoor is easy and it's a good return of your money for stuff such as sweat basil, mint, cilantro, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, etc. I love to drink hot water then put one or two mint leaves in them, makes a wonderful tea in cold winter time. You can start with a seed pack from big box store, just put them in a pot with soil by window to get some sun. You can also grow them in winter time since your house is heated.

If you've been reading Square Foot Gardening, then you know how important the soil is in growing vegetables. Again, start with something easy to grow like lettuce.

There is a Garden forum on this site. You can ask a lot of question there.

Have fun!

Old 01-20-2022, 08:10 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
And no, it's not a money-saving thing - but the tomatoes have flavor (unlike most store-bought tomatoes), and the basil and cilantro are right there when we need some.
It can be, once you have the garden set up. For example last year I grow wonderful cherry tomatoes, egg plants, zucchini, and cucumbers from pack of seeds just direct sowed them in the ground.

Here are some pics just from last year's harvest

Old 01-20-2022, 08:17 PM

550 posts, read 368,659 times
Fantastic harvest.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:25 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
we grow tomatoes, & peppers, leeks,but because we enjoy eating them. So far, it is cheaper to buy them at the store than mess with growing your own, Try it & see. However, the flavor cannot be beat. ( Homegrown )

Old 01-20-2022, 08:37 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
you won't be saving money the first year you do this.

I like to grow tomatoes

How old are you? It does take some labor.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:39 PM

Like others said - might not be cheaper - but boy the taste cannot be beat!!!

Old 01-20-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Did your husband already have a garden, or by yardwork - do you mean mowing and things like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement