Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 08:25 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,013,050 times

Advertisements

A dozen hot wings, curly fries, and a pitcher of beer. Now we talkin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 09:10 AM

8,796 posts, read 5,094,304 times
Lobster and steamers.....with lots and lots of butter.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:14 AM

11,082 posts, read 6,678,953 times
Lobster and king crab legs with lots of drawn butter. Garlic mashed potatoes with lots of butter.

Crunchy french bread with lots of butter.

Fresh raspberry pie ala mode.

Preceded/accompanied by Negroni cocktails.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:18 AM

14,981 posts, read 12,197,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That sounds really good, but I would have to go with a lobster dinner.
That would be my choice too. Maine lobsters with melted real butter, sweet potato fries and melted brown sugar cinnamon butter to dip them in, maybe some sauteed brussel sprouts ( not because they are healthy, but because I like them) wine, topped off with Publix chocolate ganache cake with french vanilla ice cream- all of this as much as I want.

Nothing healthy.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:27 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Really well done Indian cuisine.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,729,544 times
Seriously, nobody has said roast lamb and fava beans?

For physical food: Every kind of dim sum I ever liked.

But in reality, facing sure death: Food for thought—comforting food for thought to bring with me into the great unknown. The prospect of being reunited with my pets. Passages by Brian Doyle that I highlighted.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:13 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,939,487 times
I have had a number of great meals in my life but the ambience, locations and occasions were always a big part of them. So it's impossible to replicate any of them for my 'last' meal.

If I could, I would travel to one of my favorite restaurants in one of our favorite travel locations (most of them were in Europe) for my 'last' meal. This scenario would be very unlikely if my anticipated demise is due to poor health.

Assuming that my last meal would be consumed either at home or in a healthcare facility, the best that I could do is to have a great chef to prepare an international cuisine small plate meals. I would select my favorite dishes from all the tapas, dim sum, meze and banchan dinner which I have had before.

A great dish has to be prepared with fresh ingredients by a chef or a competent cook. BTW, cooking is both an art and a science. I am a pretty good cook but still have a lot to learn. I just bought a great book: "On Food and Cooking - The Science and Lore of the Kitchen" by Harold McGee. I wish that I had heard of the book years ago.

I like a variety of foods so there will be a little bit of everything: beef, veal, lamb, venison, pork, chicken, duck, fishes, shrimps, prawns, lobsters, crabs, squid, octopus, cheeses, charcuterie, soups, vegetables of all different colors, several types of root vegetables, legumes, pulses and grains, crusty artisan breads. I would rather have a bite each of many things than consuming a big plate of only few things. Our typical weekly meals are at least a 3-course meals of different cuisine during weekdays then small-plate meals (also of different cuisine) with cheeses/charcuterie boards and fruits for weekends. My husband is very glad that I love to cook/bake and experiment with international foods/recipes.

There will also also some great wines (Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Malbec, Chianti, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigrio, Riesling, Chardonnay) to go with different dishes. Again, few sips of the right wine to go with each food is much better than consuming a whole glass of one kind!

Then I will top of the dinner with an assortment of Italian/French/English pastries, sweet treats (with chocolates/nuts/fruits). I will have to select one of my favorite coffee beans to be roasted and freshly ground and brewed in a French press to go with the sweets. Oh, I will also have an assortments of my favorite fruits (cherries, strawberries, kiwis, grapes, pears, mangos, peaches and pineapples).

Finally, I will top of the dinner with a glass of fine Vintage Port to go with great dark chocolates. The best chocolates I had tasted was airmailed from a shop in Melbourne by an Australian friend. The next best chocolates were from a visiting German scientist. Freshness is the key thing to great tasting chocolate so I will have to make timely shipping arrangement.

Bottom line is that my last meal has to be a type of a banquet with many varieties, colors and flavors to represent all the wonderful foods and drinks which I have enjoyed.

Last edited by BellaDL; 01-29-2022 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-29-2022, 11:57 AM

7,493 posts, read 6,280,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Fried seafood platter, with cole slaw and stuffed baked potato.
That’s close. I would go for fresh fried mullet, fries and cole slaw and some very expensive bourbon afterward.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:19 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,074,867 times
I don't think I could enjoy a last meal if I knew it was my last meal. More than likely, food would be exiting my body one way or the other. I think I read that most condemned prisoners don't even eat their last meal. Except for the mentally challenged man, who ate some, then told the warden he would save the rest for later as he was led off to his death.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:29 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdean View Post
We will live a long time, but if we knew tonight was our last night ... What meal would you enjoy?

For me, it would be veal Cannelloni with garlic toast.

Of course, I would want a white wine before the main menu.

Am I missing something? What would you like?
Funny, just had breakfast with older sister. She went for T-Bone. Had I not had coffee and 2 doughnuts, I'd have laced into that.

So, T-Bone, three eggs, pancakes and hash browns.

Nothing fancy as there's wine in paradise.....But not Steel Reserve...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement