Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 09:39 AM

10,218 posts, read 7,661,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdean View Post
We will live a long time, but if we knew tonight was our last night ... What meal would you enjoy?

For me, it would be veal Cannelloni with garlic toast.

Of course, I would want a white wine before the main menu.

Am I missing something? What would you like?
Fried chicken
Homemade lemon meringue pie
Green beans
Big bag of chips w/salsa

(I may not eat the green beans. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 09:51 AM

8,233 posts, read 7,598,714 times
Chicken Oporto -- it was the first meal I cooked for my family after moving into my first apartment.

Can be tricky finding white port wine, though. I've made it with purple port wine and it looks quite whimsical. Many clerks look at you like you have three heads when you ask for white port!

Old 01-30-2022, 10:06 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,205,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdean View Post
We will live a long time, but if we knew tonight was our last night ... What meal would you enjoy?

For me, it would be veal Cannelloni with garlic toast.

Of course, I would want a white wine before the main menu.

Am I missing something? What would you like?

Good question, I don't know. For example, now that I don't drink anymore, if I knew tonight was the last, would I have a scotch, a bottle of wine.........or would go from this world to the next guilt ridden that I had broken down, given in, hating myself all the way..........or would I be so distrustful of Fate to carry on through out because after all..................

...........................around this place, the Governor is always calling.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:01 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,955,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
City-Data forums is in need of a 'Death and Dying' forum. It's odd there is not one.

The appeal of and appetite for talking about all things about and surrounding death and dying (both topics in jest and serious) seem to have been underestimated or overlooked by those creating the forums.

'Grief and Mourning' and 'Caregiving' forums cover just parts of death and dying.

Jeez, Lighten Up, Will Ya!

There is no way that this thread belongs to the 'Grief and Mourning' or 'Caregiving' forums.

Most of retirees are old and there are more days behind than ahead for us. It's natural for us to think about the ends of our life. Nobody makes you read the threads of topics that you want to avoid ;-)

If anything, threads like this is a celebration and not a lamentation of life. It makes us think of all the great meals that we have had. It reminds us to enjoy life when we can.

I have enjoyed readings about people's favorite foods and drinks here. I will certainly try some of these favorite foods. As a matter of fact, I had just found a recipe for Veal Cannelloni and will look up one for Chicken Oporto. I have never had those dishes and quite eager to try making them.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:07 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,624,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post

Jeez, Lighten Up, Will Ya!

There is no way that this thread belongs to the 'Grief and Mourning' or 'Caregiving' forums.

Most of retirees are old and there are more days behind than ahead for us. It's natural for us to think about the ends of our life. Nobody makes you read the threads of topics that you want to avoid ;-)

If anything, threads like this is a celebration and not a lamentation of life. It makes us think of all the great meals that we have had. It reminds us to enjoy life when we can.

I have enjoyed readings about people's favorite foods and drinks here. I will certainly try some of these favorite foods. As a matter of fact, I had just found a recipe for Veal Cannelloni and will look up one for Chicken Oporto. I have never had those dishes and quite eager to try making them.

Have you been drinking? I did not say that this thread should be in 'Grief and Mourning' or 'Caregiving'.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:50 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,681,624 times
Lays plain potato chips
salty french fries
cherry cobbler with vanilla ice cream
coke zero
a couple THC gummies

good night....

Old 01-30-2022, 07:57 PM

131,861 posts, read 12,350,626 times
Is it breakfast, lunch or dinner? I want different meal for all of them

Old 01-30-2022, 08:40 PM

22 posts, read 6,147 times
I believe I will be raptured up into the Sky to see Jesus, or with Jesus so what is in my stomach doesn't matter. If I thought I was just going to dust, we'll then food would MATTER a great deal.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:22 PM

23,402 posts, read 29,286,763 times
A dozen raspberry tarts from the best bakery in town! Nothing more!

Old 01-30-2022, 09:32 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,590,200 times
First I'd like to make sure that my kids and husband are there to share the feast with me.

I'd like a considerable amount of King crab legs and someone to sit next to me and crack them. Serve that with a lot of lemons and a reckless amount of melted butter in one of those cute little thingies that keep the butter warm. Napkins, napkins, napkins.

A side of fried clams and red cocktail sauce.

A side of tiger shrimp in a light tempura-style batter with really good tartar sauce.

Two six-ounce broiled Maine lobster tails.

Mixed green salad with bacon crumbles, home-grown tomatoes and knuckle-sized chunks of a well-aged roquefort cheese. The kind with the crystals in it.

After a rest I'd like an assortment of grilled vegetables and a crispy biscuit or two. Maybe a plate of hashbrowns filled with Swiss cheese? Some onion rings with a light batter.

For dessert I'd like small servings of French silk almond pie with coffee ice cream, a rhubarb mascarpone tart with cardamom, vanilla bean panna cotta with sour cherry sauce, and a watermelon slice with salt. Serve it with a cup of spicy Mexican coffee.

Then one more short break to whisper an orison of hope to the Eternal Gatekeeper that there might be a little room for a glutton somewhere in the back row of the choir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement