Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 05:28 AM

663 posts, read 437,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Interesting reading the replies, but I was kind of wondering about who "subscribes" to various You-Tube channels, and why. Of course, news services I get that.

I am subscribed to 23 different youtube channels. I do most without the notification button clicked so I just get a list on the left side when I open youtube of the channels I watch. That list shows if a new video has been uploaded to the channel and I can click on it to see if the new upload interests me.

The subjects range from cruise related channels, non USA news channels, exercise channels, medical channels, Harry Potter, Space technology info, and local city channels.

One that you might like is https://www.youtube.com/c/Wendoverproductions
Description Wendover Productions is all about explaining how our world works. From travel, to economics, to geography, to marketing and more, every video will leave you with a little better understanding of our world. New videos go out every other Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 05:48 AM

5,873 posts, read 11,989,225 times
We have a ROKU TV with antenna that allows us to get many many free channels but we also have:

Amazon Prime
Netflix
Acorn
Paramount Plus
Apple TV

I have a subscription to Apple News and Pandora as well.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:51 AM

4,083 posts, read 2,176,339 times
No paper subscriptions. I read the local newspaper online as well as a few magazines for free through my local library. It felt weird at first some years ago not to have the paper delivered daily but there were problems with delivery even before the current labor shortage and with the paper shrinking in size, just wasn’t worth it.

I only watch two hours of tv/movies a night, but subscribe to all the following since I like some niche stuff like independent and foreign dramas.

Netflix
Hulu
Prime Video, which I get for free
Acorn for British and Australian stuff
YouTube for free for music videos, exercise videos, and short films
Apple+ tv, well with the $5 a month

Tonight I may treat myself to a rented movie through Prime. A Filipino movie about a 40 yo who lives at home, job issues, can’t find love, supposedly heart warming. It’s $5. In some ways, seems crazy with all the free movies I haven’t watched, but years ago, another lifetime, we all went to Blockbuster and rented movies for $5 and had to drive there and back…and then got charged late fees! Also used to go to film festivals and see movies which weren’t available in local theaters or at Blockbuster.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:09 AM

10,218 posts, read 7,653,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Pre-Internet we probably subscribed to 10 magazines. No newspapers because at that time we had regular TV for news.

Now we only "subscribe" to one service: Netflix.

I watch You-Tube videos every day, usually documentaries. But everything that is NOT a documentary wants you to subscribe, get notifications, ring the bell, and all that stuff. I don't see the point. What I usually watch shows up in my You-Tube feed so I can easily see "the latest" by anybody I care to see. Who wants to be endlessly "notified"?

But I must be in the minority (surprise, surprise, lol) because the video producers have thousands of subscribers. I do realize the higher their numbers, the more ad revenue, but that doesn't affect me.

So, do you subscribe to dozens of ----whatever----? More than before the Internet?
I never did suscribe to anything but cable/satellite tv. I bought magazines frequently, the Sunday newspaper when I wanted, but no subscription.

I do subscribe to some Youtube video creators. Because I have so many interests that if I don't, the new videos of those I most want to see won't pop up because they may be crowded out by others. I usu don't view the notifications, which appear under the bell in the Youtube site itself on my laptop. The subscription just ensures that latest videos of them are at the top of videos on the Home page of YT.

The only streaming service I subscribe to is Amazon Prime Video. I will soon subscribe to Netflix just for a month, then cancel, to see some things in particular. I watch mainly Prime Video, then several FREE streaming services. I cut cable/satellite years ago. I've saved literally thousands of dollars. I also have broadcast tv (using an antenna), which is FREE (after I bought the antenna and cables and signal boosters).

Old 06-11-2022, 06:45 AM

17,655 posts, read 22,745,775 times
For movies tubi is free...

https://tubitv.com/movies/556430/straw-dogs?start=true

Old 06-11-2022, 07:12 AM

4,083 posts, read 2,176,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
How bad are the ads?

Old 06-11-2022, 07:15 AM

6,329 posts, read 4,248,148 times
Amazon Plus
Kindle unlimited
2 newspapers ( same as pre internet)
Netflix

Old 06-11-2022, 07:29 AM

48,708 posts, read 35,181,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
Have you looked at the Libby and Hoopla apps? I use both all the time for e books.
I have overdrive and Libby. I use libby on my phone for audiobooks from the library.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2022, 07:52 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,118,422 times
Prime video
PBS Passport
Netflix

TV with buit in Roku
Roku isn't just the old TV shows and movies on the main channel. Scroll down to "add channels" to see hundreds of channels catering to specific interests.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:13 AM

11,249 posts, read 9,876,885 times
We have Hulu + live TV, Amazon Prime, and NetFlix. I also subscribe to Supernatural, which is an exercise program for the VR Oculus headset. We also get Family Handyman magazine delivered, but I think we'll be discontinuing that. We had a friend who kept signing us up for free magazine subscriptions that he thought we would enjoy (we really didn't), but they've finally expired, and he passed away, so no more throwing out unread magazines. They were some really odd magazines like Guns and Gardens, and specialty car magazines of cars we didn't own. WTH????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement