Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 05:53 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,050,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
This is an old game I learned as a youngster in the Scouts. I think it was called "telegraph". You'd whisper a message to the person next to you, and they'd in turn whisper it to the person on their other side. When it made its way back to you, we all had a good laugh at how mangled the message had become.

I remember playing that game as a child. Being a well-read child, I had already heard of it. Kid whispers something to me. What? He whispers again. What? He whispers again. I pass on what I thought he said. Then there was a vicious twist to the game when the instructor decided to see just where the message had gotten mangled. It turned out to be me.

I have never been good at hearing in noisy environments, and this has not improved with age.

Many years ago, I was waiting to cross a street in Cleveland. There was a cute, petite blonde standing next to me. I heard her whisper something. I was about to say What?, but fortunately, the little tape recorder in my head replayed her speech, and I was then able to understand it. She was propositioning the cars as they drove by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 06:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
It would be funny and not necessarily for old folks.

My DH and I had exchanges like that for forty years. But we didn't know it was a game. Would have been much more fun than:

Me: Your sister is coming.
DH: Should we go into the basement.
Me: What are you talking about???
DH: You said a twister was coming and I wanted us to be safe.
Me: No, I said your SISTER is coming, not a twister.
DH: You should speak more clearly.

This was an actual conversation we had. Now he's gone and I can only smile at the memory.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:04 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
I saw a t-shirt that said:

My wife says I never listen to her.
At least, I think that's what she said.

Old 09-23-2022, 11:11 PM

357 posts, read 225,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It would be funny and not necessarily for old folks.

My DH and I had exchanges like that for forty years. But we didn't know it was a game. Would have been much more fun than:

Me: Your sister is coming.
DH: Should we go into the basement.
Me: What are you talking about???
DH: You said a twister was coming and I wanted us to be safe.
Me: No, I said your SISTER is coming, not a twister.
DH: You should speak more clearly.

This was an actual conversation we had. Now he's gone and I can only smile at the memory.
We have exchanges like this nearly every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement