Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 03:16 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times

Advertisements

Hearing becomes less distinct as we age, and dentition problems make us slur our words, to make things worse....The bride and I are having more and more trouble hearing and understanding each other as the years go by.

A typical example might be one us saying "I think I broke a dish."..The other will respond, "What? You spoke to a fish? When?"

Watching the new generation of "Password" on TV the other day where, as you may recall, one contestant gives a one word clue and the other contestant has to guess the password. It struck me that we could start an entertaining new show for old folks---One old fogey will say a sentence and then three old panelists will have to guess what he said.

Whadaya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 03:57 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
I think it’s a stellar idea

I have often thought I should write down what I think I hear vs. what was really said. I would have several pages by now and maybe even a Best Seller with the retired folks, lollol

Old 09-06-2022, 05:27 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
I've been watching the new game show "Generation Gap" hosted by Kelly Ripa. In this game, a grandparent and their grandchild compete against another team to answer questions about each other's generation. For example, they may show the grandchild a picture of the comedy team Laurel and Hardy and ask who they are. Then they may show the grandparent a picture of the DJ Marshmallow and ask who they are. It's more fun than competitive, but I often feel sorry for the grandparents. Some are old enough that their cognitive abilities are declining. A question is asked and they never hit the buzzer, or they look like a deer caught in headlights. Grandparents who have/had careers as a teacher are the best in the game as they are constantly around children and are able to keep up with pop culture and trends.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:52 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
There are a lot of potential variants to this game. They could have us elderly folks attempt to communicate to a call center that has been off-shored to a country that does not speak American English as their primary language. They could have us elderly attempt to communicate over a noisy phone line, or in a noisy environment.

Now if you wanted to pick on the current generation of children, you could have another game where the children are asked to do the things that were normal and expected of us elderly when we were children, such as:
wait for the bus without an adult nearby
play in the playground across the street without adult supervision as your dad plays baseball and your mom watches dad play
walk to and from school by yourself or with the neighbor girl (being able to walk to and from school by yourself was a written first-grade skill)
play in the neighborhood all day, returning home in time for supper, without your parents knowing exactly where you are

Old 09-06-2022, 08:18 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Hearing becomes less distinct as we age, and dentition problems make us slur our words, to make things worse....The bride and I are having more and more trouble hearing and understanding each other as the years go by.

A typical example might be one us saying "I think I broke a dish."..The other will respond, "What? You spoke to a fish? When?"
Sounds like your problem may also be the inability to apply context to what you think the other is saying. Maybe that is part of aging too? I don't think most folks would immediately jump to talking fish in this scenario...

Old 09-06-2022, 09:03 AM

7,815 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Three old guys sitting on a park bench. One notices the tree branches swaying in the wind.

"It's windy, isn't it?"

"Nope. It's Thursday."

"Me too. Let's get a beer."

Old 09-06-2022, 10:23 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
The game show could be called "I Thought That's What You Said...."

Followed by the new show, "You Didn't Tell Me That."

Old 09-06-2022, 01:48 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
I like Zydeco. I follow and am friends with a couple of Zydeco performers. The other day, I was looking at a poster (on Facebook) about an upcoming Zydeco music festival. I was looking at this on my phone, so the print was small. One of the performers at this festival was going to be "Jeff Broussard and the NuEdition". But my eyes saw Jeff Broussard and the NuEdibles."

I thought "Well that's interesting...wait...what??" LOL

Old 09-06-2022, 02:39 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
A spin-off of the new show could have one geezer start a story, and when he comes to a word he can't remember, the panelists have to offer guesses.

Prizes could be a yr's supply of Depends, or a new HurryCane, and the Grand Prize could be a 2-week, all expense vacation in Sun City.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:06 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Watching the new generation of "Password" on TV the other day where, as you may recall, one contestant gives a one word clue and the other contestant has to guess the password. It struck me that we could start an entertaining new show for old folks---One old fogey will say a sentence and then three old panelists will have to guess what he said.

Whadaya think?
This is an old game I learned as a youngster in the Scouts. I think it was called "telegraph". You'd whisper a message to the person next to you, and they'd in turn whisper it to the person on their other side. When it made its way back to you, we all had a good laugh at how mangled the message had become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement