Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2022, 01:22 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Right but if their BAC reached DUI territory, then they were being careless. It's not like I ditched my friends who got DUIs but I did take note of all of the trouble those DUIs got them into.

I have drawn a hard line. And I do not drive when I've been drinking. Not ever as in never. Not worth it.

I'm not disagreeing. But IMO "Careless" in one moment shouldn't mean you aren't worthy to hold a job 2 years later.

Do you think your friends who got DUI are more likely to get drunk at work than others you know? That's the kind of thinking that I find ludicrous and unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 01:23 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Yeah, getting a DUI has wide reaching consequences. When I was younger, I saw friends have to spend the night in jail, have their licenses suspended, they got fined, had to pay impounding fees to get their car back and had to attend ASAP class. They later had to explain to potential employers about having a DUI on their record and I'm sure lost out on job opportunities because of those DUIs.

It's a serious, big deal to get a DUI. Uber is by far a better and cheaper choice.
Yes, I won't risk it. In my state, New Jersey, they made the punishment VERY stiff back in the 1980s as a result of the MADD campaign. My now-ex-husband got caught driving home from the bar, and besides the fines, which were at least $500, he had to pay what they call an "insurance surcharge" of $1000 a year for the next three years. We paid it in installments over each year.

Then he was also required to attend ten AA meetings and get a receipt for each one, but he found at the first one that he could just pay the guy $10 each to make out receipts for him and so that was another $100.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm not disagreeing. But IMO "Careless" in one moment shouldn't mean you aren't worthy to hold a job 2 years later.

Do you think your friends who got DUI are more likely to get drunk at work than others you know? That's the kind of thinking that I find ludicrous and unfair.
Yes, I think that's ridiculous. Even if I drank at home after work every single day, did that mean I would drink AT work?

Old 10-01-2022, 01:33 PM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:

Yeah, the punishment seems harsh for the crime. I think that employers look at a DUI and think it could indicate a big problem with alcohol. It's the drinking AND driving part that indicates a lack of self control and judgement...they just don't want to go there.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:40 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Yeah, the punishment seems harsh for the crime. I think that employers look at a DUI and think it could indicate a big problem with alcohol. It's the drinking AND driving part that indicates a lack of self control and judgement...they just don't want to go there.

Yes, I agree, Just like neighbor's would see every old sex offender as equally potentially dangerous including the 19 year old who had a 16 year old gf, even if he's now 43 and married 20 years with a good job and a family. Because there is only one umbrella all sex offenders go under, and only one umbrella for DUI. The societal punishment shouldn't be the same for someone with .08 as it is for someone who blew 2.6.

Old 10-01-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, I agree, Just like neighbor's would see every old sex offender as equally potentially dangerous including the 19 year old who had a 16 year old gf, even if he's now 43 and married 20 years with a good job and a family. Because there is only one umbrella all sex offenders go under, and only one umbrella for DUI. The societal punishment shouldn't be the same for someone with .08 as it is for someone who blew 2.6.
Employers just don't want the liability. If they have a choice between hiring a person with a DUI on their record and a person with no such record, they will hire the person without the record.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:10 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Right but if their BAC reached DUI territory, then they were being careless. It's not like I ditched my friends who got DUIs but I did take note of all of the trouble those DUIs got them into.

I have drawn a hard line. And I do not drive when I've been drinking. Not ever as in never. Not worth it.
But do you drive when you haven't had enough sleep? Sleep-deprived drivers are equal to drunk drivers but they get a free pass if they're in an accident. After accident: determination via blood alcohol level. No alcohol in the system. Hmmm... Medical episode?

There's no tests yet to determine sleep deprivation, but it's coming.

I read in a Nat'l Geographic magazine on sleep, that if you're up 24 hours and driving, say long distance, it's the equivalent of have 3 shots of whiskey in your system.

And there's medical episodes. When I lived in Las Vegas a woman plowed into a bus stop with 4 people waiting for a bus. Verdict: Medical episode.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But do you drive when you haven't had enough sleep? Sleep-deprived drivers are equal to drunk drivers but they get a free pass if they're in an accident. After accident: determination via blood alcohol level. No alcohol in the system. Hmmm... Medical episode?

I read in a Nat'l Geographic magazine on sleep, that if you're up 24 hours and driving, say long distance, it's the equivalent of have 3 shots of whiskey in your system.

And there's medical episodes. When I lived in Las Vegas a woman plowed into a bus stop with 4 people waiting for a bus. Verdict: Medical episode.
No, I don't drive when I'm sleep deprived. I just don't.

I remember falling asleep behind the wheel when I was around 19 years old. I had stayed up too late and had to be to work early in the morning. I just dozed right off and I honestly don't know how the car stayed on the road. Luck alone prevented me from going off the road and slamming into trees. I don't know how long I was dozing but I'm assuming it was just seconds. The whole thing rattled me a bit and thankfully I learned my lesson.

At any rate, that was the first and last time that I dozed off while driving. Hard to believe that it's been 37 years since that happened because I remember the whole thing very clearly.

The people who crash due to a sudden medical episode are different. They would have no way of knowing that they were about to have a heart attack, stroke or other catastrophic medical event. Some of them are dead before they even hit into anything/anyone.

Last edited by springfieldva; 10-01-2022 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-01-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Another possibility an eye Dr brought to my attention once--how many people are out there driving who are not aware their eyesight is bad? I had a friend who insisted that she had 20/20 vision, but she failed an eye test and was sent to the eye Dr. All sorts of indignant. Then when she got her glasses, she was shocked. "Do people really see like this?"

My eye Dr said he gets people in all the time more nearsighted than I am (-650 in one eye, -550 in the other) and they tell him they drove there. Pretty scary.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
No, I don't drive when I'm sleep deprived. I just don't.

I remember falling asleep behind the wheel when I was around 19 years old. I had stayed up too late and had to be to work early in the morning. I just dozed right off and I honestly don't know how the car stayed on the road. Luck alone prevented me from going off the road and slamming into trees. I don't know how long I was dozing but I'm assuming it was just seconds. The whole thing rattled me a bit and thankfully I learned my lesson.

At any rate, that was the first and last time that I dozed off while driving. Hard to believe that it's been 37 years since that happened because I remember the whole thing very clearly.

The people who crash due to a sudden medical episode are different. They would have no way of knowing that they were about to have a heart attack, stroke or other catastrophic medical event. Some of them are dead before they even hit into anything/anyone.
Yep. My friend, 55, died of a brain aneurysm behind the wheel. Fortunately she was still in the parking lot of her job and crashed only into parked cars. But she had no idea. Texted her son she was on her way home, pulled out of the parking space and then she was dead.

Another friend's husband was killed just sitting at a red light. An older man coming from the other direction had a medical episode, possibly a seizure, went through the light and hit him head on. The old guy survived.

I have nearly fallen asleep while driving when working long hours. The lull of the road when on a highway makes it feel as if it would be the best sleep ever. Once I pulled off the NJ Turnpike and took a short nap at a rest stop because I was afraid to drive any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement