Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 12:04 PM

7,855 posts, read 3,843,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
No. The Federal government provides social security and Medicare for our elderly U.S. citizens who have enough work credits to qualify for it.
If you take a look, you'll see my inquiry was not to you but rather to a different person -- Scooby Snacks -- in response to his post that relatives bear no financial or moral obligation to lift a finger for any family member. His post was the equivalent of "Granny Dumping" to foist financial burdens on to the rest of us.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 10-03-2022 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 12:13 PM

17,403 posts, read 16,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
If you take a look, you'll see my inquiry was not to you but rather to a different person.
I just pointed out that the government does, in fact, pay for our seniors.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:17 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,285,807 times
Quote:
I just pointed out that the government does, in fact, pay for our seniors.
I remember here at our local nursing home, they would occasionally take in indigent folks. The ones that needed nursing home type help. Someone was paying for that - which to me is good.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:21 PM

768 posts, read 860,870 times
Some of us just live too long.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:25 PM

The teenagers who do work pay into social security just like every other worker does. Most do not have access to a 401K plan because they don't work FT hours. Why? Because they are still in school and it is important for them to complete their education.

I would rather see a teenager focus on doing the things necessary to keep their college debt to a minimum - taking college credit classes in HS, earning merit scholarships, working PT to have money for their living expenses, taking online class, commuting from home as opposed to living on campus, graduating early. If they can graduate college debt free they will be setting themselves up well for their futures.

HS/College really isn't the time to focus on retirement savings. The exception would be the HS grads who go straight into the military or other FT career position like law enforcement, corrections, etc

Old 10-03-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I remember here at our local nursing home, they would occasionally take in indigent folks. The ones that needed nursing home type help. Someone was paying for that - which to me is good.
Live long enough and your money is going to run out. People who manage to support themselves well into old age have done their part.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:56 PM

3,535 posts, read 3,738,205 times
Quote:
And people aren't going to want to call some random person on a phone app to come help them lift their loved one off of the floor or help them get them safely out of the house and into the car for an errand or appt.

If there was an easy way to do this, believe me, people would have figured it out by now. The truth is, it can be overwhelming, if not downright impossible, for a caregiver to manage.
Well you have stated that you don't even want your kids helping you either. A home aide is essentially a stranger, too. Guess that just leaves upping the protein intake and working on your dumbbell curls and pushup game!

#allingoodfun

Old 10-03-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Well you have stated that you don't even want your kids helping you either. A home aide is essentially a stranger, too. Guess that just leaves upping the protein intake and working on your dumbbell curls and pushup game!

#allingoodfun
Who do you expect to take care of you when your own money runs out?

Maybe you plan to live until 95 which seems like a pretty conservative estimation as most people die before they reach 90.

But you end up living until 106 . Will you expect your 85 year old "kid" to help you? Will you be calling a "pick up service" to come every time that you've fallen and you can't get up?

Old 10-03-2022, 01:52 PM

3,535 posts, read 3,738,205 times
Quote:
Who do you expect to take care of you when your own money runs out?

Maybe you plan to live until 95 which seems like a pretty conservative estimation as most people die before they reach 90.
If I maxed my 401K the rest of my working career, I can burn every other dollar I ever make and still retire a multi-millionaire, so I should have enough to cover my needs by that point, although there is no guarantee. That means I will have the option of having a home aide or living in an ASL; it just depends on what my medical needs will be at that time. Three out of the four grandparents lived until mid-80s. The one that didn't I think would have lived to that age with modern medical care, but can't say for sure.

More recently, my uncle served as essentially a home aide to his friend girl that he really cared about. He used her government benefits to help move her closer to him so she could have her own living quarters. He took her to all of her appointments, and there were a lot of them. Eventually when it came to end-of-life care (a different topic than this thread), he got Medicaid to pay for it because her assets were spent down to zero. What he explained to me was that you can't qualify for that type of Medicaid care unless your assets are spent down to zero. Ergo, if I run out of money, which I don't think will happen, I suppose Medicaid will pick up the tab?

Quote:
But you end up living until 106 . Will you expect your 85 year old "kid" to help you? Will you be calling a "pick up service" to come every time that you've fallen and you can't get up?
I have spent zero time researching how 100-year-olds and above are taken care of, but it's an interesting question, because they're still alive at 100+ and someone is helping them. Their kids most likely are definitely dead by then.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:28 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Medicaid pays for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement