Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2022, 09:48 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else aside from what he said at the FEMA meeting. I'd have to see the details of who qualifies for the relief, what the terms are and how to apply for it. I suspect it could be in the form of a low cost loan but we have to see the actual terms to know that.

75K isn't enough to rebuild a waterfront beach house, for sure, but it'll prevent them from being homeless.
Yes, I don’t want people to be homeless. Hopefully it gets distributed better than it did during Sandy. There were people here even 2 years later after Sandy who still had not gotten their money from FEMA and still living with family or other temporary accommodations. Of course it was long out of the news by then. There is always a big hoopla in the beginning, we had the big TV concert here to raise money with Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, etc But then a few weeks later it’s gone from the news for the next thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 09:55 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I don’t want people to be homeless. Hopefully it gets distributed better than it did during Sandy. There were people here even 2 years later after Sandy who still had not gotten their money from FEMA and still living with family or other temporary accommodations. Of course it was long out of the news by then. There is always a big hoopla in the beginning, we had the big TV concert here to raise money with Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, etc But then a few weeks later it’s gone from the news for the next thing.
Hurricane Michael was bad in the Panama City Beach area, particularly in Mexico Beach. I heard about people who were living with huge gaping holes in there roofs covered by tarps for months and maybe up to year after the hurricane happened. There were people camped out in Walmart parking lots in campers that looked like they barely ran - they went from a nice, comfortable home to living hand to mouth in an old camper in the Walmart parking lot.

I think the situation left by Ian could be even worse because there were already significant supply chain issues when it comes to building supplies in particular.

Old 10-02-2022, 10:19 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Hurricane Michael was bad in the Panama City Beach area, particularly in Mexico Beach. I heard about people who were living with huge gaping holes in there roofs covered by tarps for months and maybe up to year after the hurricane happened. There were people camped out in Walmart parking lots in campers that looked like they barely ran - they went from a nice, comfortable home to living hand to mouth in an old camper in the Walmart parking lot.

I think the situation left by Ian could be even worse because there were already significant supply chain issues when it comes to building supplies in particular.
Yes I was wondering about that too. Aside from the supply chain shortage, there is also a labor shortage and I wonder how they are going to get enough people and materials to rebuild in a timely manner. Even the problem of where to put up out-of-state contractors and other people they try to bring in to help. In the meantime, all the snakes are slithering down to Florida telling people they’re contractors and hoping to rip them off. That happened during Sandy, too.

Old 10-02-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Yes I was wondering about that too. Aside from the supply chain shortage, there is also a labor shortage and I wonder how they are going to get enough people and materials to rebuild in a timely manner. Even the problem of where to put up out-of-state contractors and other people they try to bring in to help. In the meantime, all the snakes are slithering down to Florida telling people they’re contractors and hoping to rip them off. That happened during Sandy, too.
To compound matters, even campers are harder to come by these days. So the option of finding an old camper to live in while your house gets repaired may not be much of an option these days.

The scammers who come in to take advantage of vulnerable people during such a devastating time are pure, unadulterated evil. I can't imagine how they can live with themselves.

Old 10-02-2022, 10:37 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,022,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Weather-wise I agree with you. But the overdevelopment and destruction of the environment is just too much. We had to leave our hometown because it was just too sad to watch.
I agree with the overdevelopment contributing to the destruction. I couldn't live there because of the hurricanes. I feel bad for the elderly, I just turned 70 and would not want to evacuate, nor ride out a storm like that. Like has been said, there is no perfect place to live. The west, where I am from, gorgeous forests, not overdevelopment has made wildfire more devastating. Same with the East coast.

Old 10-02-2022, 10:47 AM

1,380 posts, read 722,099 times
I've always thought that places like coastal states should only be visited, a 1-2 week vacation and then you get out. All camping, no houses. So, that when this type of thing happens and there is generally plenty of warning, it's not devastating to property and the idiots who refuse to leave don't need to be rescued and waste time and money of local and Federal services.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:21 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Thank you! I’m not sure how I feel about that, it seems like a kind of rewards people who didn’t get flood insurance.
As a nation, we are compassionate people when disaster strikes, but when individual make a conscious decision not to purchase insurance, I don't know why taxpayers should make them whole.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 10-02-2022 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-02-2022, 11:27 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
As a nation, we are compassionate people when disaster strikes, but when people make a conscious decision not to purchase insurance, I don't know why taxpayers should make them whole.
I agree

Old 10-02-2022, 11:28 AM

I don't know that the people opted not to get flood insurance as much as they were unable to get flood insurance on their properties.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:32 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
As a nation, we are compassionate people when disaster strikes, but when people make a conscious decision not to purchase insurance, I don't know why taxpayers should make them whole.
I'm not trying to be political but it is what it is. There's an election coming up and sometimes Florida can be very purple. Getting a few more votes for paying off people's homes or paying for hurricane damage can go a long way.
There was no mention of doing the same thing in KY when hundreds of people became homeless because of a massive tornado last winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement