Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2022, 05:21 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I agree with the overdevelopment contributing to the destruction. I couldn't live there because of the hurricanes. I feel bad for the elderly, I just turned 70 and would not want to evacuate, nor ride out a storm like that. Like has been said, there is no perfect place to live. The west, where I am from, gorgeous forests, not overdevelopment has made wildfire more devastating. Same with the East coast.
I remember them saying after Katrina that the barrier islands and the trees/vegetation on them offered kind of a buffer during storms. But the more they developed the islands, the more vulnerable both the barrier islands and the city more vulnerable. There is nothing to slow them down anymore.

My hometown was a farming community. We had an ice cream parlor, a yarn store and a sandwich shop and deli. I walked by myself over a mile to friends, caught tadpoles with my brother….now it’s all developments including high-density housing, strip malls, and more than it’s share of crime. My grandmother’s old farmhouse is in such disrepair I go out of my way not to drive past it when I’m in that town, because it’s too depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 05:26 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I do not like flooding,I had once considered north Florida such as Lake City,I am not certain how common it is but it seems like at least once a year they get a huge hurricane coming through.
Perhaps I should look more towards Arizona where it's drier.
I have never seen the appeal of living in the dry, hot dessert.

Florida has some beautiful beaches. I would love to live Gulf or oceanfront but I'm not sure that's a practical choice for us. I would be happy living inland and vacationing at the beaches.

Old 10-02-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
As a nation, we are compassionate people when disaster strikes, but when individual make a conscious decision not to purchase insurance, I don't know why taxpayers should make them whole.
Yes. We live on a lake and pay $1500 a year (was $1200 last year). Even though the lake is controlled we had to have it per the bank. But I’d have it anyway. Renters insurance I really don’t understand people not having (and I’m sure there were many there who didn’t) because it’s fairly cheap. Even when I lived on the beach it was only about $300 a year.

Old 10-02-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm not trying to be political but it is what it is. There's an election coming up and sometimes Florida can be very purple. Getting a few more votes for paying off people's homes or paying for hurricane damage can go a long way.
There was no mention of doing the same thing in KY when hundreds of people became homeless because of a massive tornado last winter.
That’s a good point. I think to a lot of people Kentucky seems very remote/removed, while just about everyone has been to and/or knows people who live there.

This may sound cynical, but I think that hurricanes provide more dramatic television, last thing sometimes multiple days to a week. I am willing to bet almost all of us have watched footage of this hurricane and it’s aftermath,. Whereas with tornadoes, you only see the aftermath. I think people become more invested in the fete of a community when we’ve watched them prepare and evacuate, see them trying to survive during the storm, watch many rescues afterward, etc.

So I think all those factors contribute to this getting more attention than the tornadoes. And therefore more Federal money and attention from the Federal government (regardless of party). That’s the cynical part, lol.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:22 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,826 times
Our power was restored this evening, we are on a corner and the rest of the neighborhood is still out. Reports of power being turned on are coming in with FPL projecting 95% completion by Oct. 9. We saw 15-20 utility and tree trucks walking the dog this evening within a mile and an half. Our son’s power is still off and so is our neighbors across the street.

We had no surge in our area, but flooding in low areas and not so low areas because of the tremendous amount of rain we got in 24 hours. Our immediate area had more damage from the hurricane force winds being so close to the eye wall. Huge trees are down on power lines or were blocking streets along with twisted pool cages, sheds, carports and fences flung far and wide. Aluminum scrappers are out in force.

Gas lines are long since so many generators are being used. We are in south Sarasota county. A 30 minute trip up to Sarasota and there is not as much damage and no problem getting gas.

The temperatures have been below average with drier air instead of 90 degrees and high humidity which has helped.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-02-2022 at 06:30 PM..

Old 10-02-2022, 07:18 PM

7,505 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Our power was restored this evening, we are on a corner and the rest of the neighborhood is still out. Reports of power being turned on are coming in with FPL projecting 95% completion by Oct. 9. We saw 15-20 utility and tree trucks walking the dog this evening within a mile and an half. Our son’s power is still off and so is our neighbors across the street.

We had no surge in our area, but flooding in low areas and not so low areas because of the tremendous amount of rain we got in 24 hours. Our immediate area had more damage from the hurricane force winds being so close to the eye wall. Huge trees are down on power lines or were blocking streets along with twisted pool cages, sheds, carports and fences flung far and wide. Aluminum scrappers are out in force.

Gas lines are long since so many generators are being used. We are in south Sarasota county. A 30 minute trip up to Sarasota and there is not as much damage and no problem getting gas.

The temperatures have been below average with drier air instead of 90 degrees and high humidity which has helped.

Seems like a pretty rapid recovery where it can be quick.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:21 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
We have a 113 mile long barrier island along south Texas gulf. I was reading about it and google said it was the longest barrier island in the world.

Only the "ends" are developed. Most of it is a protected national seashore. No development allowed there.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/...k-texas-coast/

this was an interesting read.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

That is good news about your electricity. Do you all still have running, potable water?

Old 10-02-2022, 07:38 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I have never seen the appeal of living in the dry, hot dessert.

Florida has some beautiful beaches. I would love to live Gulf or oceanfront but I'm not sure that's a practical choice for us. I would be happy living inland and vacationing at the beaches.
It can be interesting. I've spent months out there. The Grand Canyon was one of the most fascinating thing I had ever seen. There are "mountains" and you can go up there to the forests and enjoy nice cool temps.

But I do prefer being closer to a beach.

My cousins that live in Phoenix go to a beach in Mexico. Rocky Point.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
It can be interesting. I've spent months out there. The Grand Canyon was one of the most fascinating thing I had ever seen. There are "mountains" and you can go up there to the forests and enjoy nice cool temps.

But I do prefer being closer to a beach.

My cousins that live in Phoenix go to a beach in Mexico. Rocky Point.
I definitely want to see the Grand Canyon some day. I hear that it's truly breathtaking. I guess it's the idea of living in a dry, arid, dusty climate far away from the water that doesn't appeal to me. I know that Arizona is a popular retirement destination. I've never actually been there so it's hard for me to relate to what people love about it. The mountains and the cool forests do sound nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement