Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2022, 07:47 PM

50,945 posts, read 36,629,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Actually he said 2 payments of 37K. It's when he made his remarks to FEMA.
Are you sure he didn’t say loans? Because I cannot find anything that says that. This is from the White House briefing:

“Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.”

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...r-declaration/

Where did you see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Starting around the 5:26 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oixK9DRgv94
Thank you for that but 18 minutes is a bit much. Do you recall about where he said it? Beginning, middle, end?

This page from whitehouse.gov on his press briefing about it today doesn’t say anything about it even though it bullet points the relief being offered.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:29 PM

17,422 posts, read 16,590,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thank you for that but 18 minutes is a bit much. Do you recall about where he said it? Beginning, middle, end?

This page from whitehouse.gov on his press briefing about it today doesn’t say anything about it even though it bullet points the relief being offered.
Around the 5:26 mark.

I don't know why the press briefing wouldn't have included details about the help to home owners or what they would need to do to qualify for it. But it does sound as though the uninsured and under insured will be getting some sort of relief offered.

Last edited by springfieldva; 10-01-2022 at 08:38 PM..

Old 10-01-2022, 08:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,067,063 times
I’m so sorry for the folks in the path of Ian. Unfortunately, you pays your money, you takes your chances. We’re at risk of tornadoes and while we’ve done everything possible to mitigate the impact and protect ourselves, there are no guarantees.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:22 PM

696 posts, read 705,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Your cousins flying to Florida is probably not a great idea.

I'm sure your aunt and uncle are ok, they probably got taken out of their home after the storm. It is crazy down there, in addition, a lot of people have lost power so their cell phones are not charged. Your cousins need to give it some time, your aunt and uncle will get a hold of them.

There was an Ian check in Facebook page, where if someone from Florida checks in, it will put a banner on their profile picture to say they checked in and are safe. Of course I'm looking for it now and am not seeing it. I am seeing a Facebook group called check in from hurricane Ian to let everyone know you safe and made it. I'm seeing others too.

Yesterday I was seeing the profile pic icon, there were also posts that went along with it where people were posting, looking for loved ones, there were others on the ground reading the posts, sending people to find the ones mentioned. One gal was looking for her mother who had a flooded house, the fridge was knocked over from the water, some how she and her boy friend had gotten out, then couldn't be found because they were taken to a shelter with dead cell phones. In the end the daughter did find her mother thanks to one of the people on the ground who saw her post.

I'm sure your aunt and uncle will call their kids once things settle down, they get their cell phone charged. Your cousins should just sit tight and wait.
I agree they should wait, but I can certainly understand why they don’t want to. I figure they’re probably in a shelter somewhere, and it will be difficult, if not impossible, to find them before they make contact themselves.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:58 PM

7,673 posts, read 3,305,600 times
Quote:
Are you sure he didn’t say loans? Because I cannot find anything that says that. This is from the White House briefing:

“Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.”

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...r-declaration/

Where did you see it?

I can't remember where I saw it; but, I saw something like $37.5k for a car and $37.5k for the contents of a house. This was free money; not a loan. It's insurance for people with no insurance. Most people have car insurance and homeowner's or renters insurance.

Old 10-01-2022, 11:02 PM

7,673 posts, read 3,305,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Do your research. Florida is a low lying state and there was significant flooding and other damage inland where very few carried flood insurance. Likely not the best article on the topic but you can get the gist. A lot of the risks are being undersold by those with motives - financial and political.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...wners-00059615

It will be underwater in the not too distant future with the melting of the glaciers. Hopefully that is not sudden and abrupt (though it could be if the Giant Thwaites falls into the ocean all of a sudden). https://twitter.com/MikeHudema/statu...13556819427335

Old 10-02-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Around the 5:26 mark.

I don't know why the press briefing wouldn't have included details about the help to home owners or what they would need to do to qualify for it. But it does sound as though the uninsured and under insured will be getting some sort of relief offered.
Thank you! I’m not sure how I feel about that, it seems like a kind of rewards people who didn’t get flood insurance. Not that $75,000 is going to be enough to rebuild a house. But how often can we afford to subsidize people who choose to live in coastal areas? I felt that way when I lived in the beach town too. They’d (city but mostly state) pay millions and millions to have the Army Corp of engineers pump more sand on the beach and after the next winter half of it would be gone again. Over and over. I wouldn’t have a problem with zero interest loans.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I can't remember where I saw it; but, I saw something like $37.5k for a car and $37.5k for the contents of a house. This was free money; not a loan. It's insurance for people with no insurance. Most people have car insurance and homeowner's or renters insurance.
He didn’t separate things into categories like that. He said it could be for any lost property whether it’s a ring a car or a house etc.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:42 AM

17,422 posts, read 16,590,828 times
Quote:
Thank you! I’m not sure how I feel about that, it seems like a kind of rewards people who didn’t get flood insurance. Not that $75,000 is going to be enough to rebuild a house. But how often can we afford to subsidize people who choose to live in coastal areas? I felt that way when I lived in the beach town too. They’d (city but mostly state) pay millions and millions to have the Army Corp of engineers pump more sand on the beach and after the next winter half of it would be gone again. Over and over. I wouldn’t have a problem with zero interest loans.
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else aside from what he said at the FEMA meeting. I'd have to see the details of who qualifies for the relief, what the terms are and how to apply for it. I suspect it could be in the form of a low cost loan but we have to see the actual terms to know that.

75K isn't enough to rebuild a waterfront beach house, for sure, but it'll prevent them from being homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement