Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2022, 03:43 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times

Advertisements

^^^Thanks for the link. That is a truly frightening article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 03:51 PM

17,412 posts, read 16,574,230 times
A lot of people opt to live further inland, away from the risks of storm surge and high winds. They vacation in the coastal areas. We'll probably wind up doing that in retirement.

I love the idea of living on the water but I don't want to be having to deal with hurricane evacuations and storm damage. No thanks.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:53 PM

43,185 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
An excellent article on this topic is from The Atlantic -

Why the Florida Fantasy Withstands Reality
Cape Coral is a microcosm of Florida’s worst impulse: selling dream homes in a hurricane-prone flood zone. But people still want them.

By Michael Grunwald

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...estate/671629/
Just remember that local governments need to approve it all.
So they are just as guilty.

The power of $$$$ is too good to pass up for businesses and governments

Old 10-01-2022, 04:01 PM

A lot of those homes being sold are used as beach rentals. The owners might live in other states.

Those properties can bring in good rental income for years.

Like I said, I can see us living inland and vacationing in the coastal areas on and off throughout the years. You wind up with the best of both worlds - your main home is in a low risk area, yet, the beautiful beaches are only a couple of hours away.

Old 10-01-2022, 06:16 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,231,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
A lot of those homes being sold are used as beach rentals. The owners might live in other states.

Those properties can bring in good rental income for years.

Like I said, I can see us living inland and vacationing in the coastal areas on and off throughout the years. You wind up with the best of both worlds - your main home is in a low risk area, yet, the beautiful beaches are only a couple of hours away.
Do your research. Florida is a low lying state and there was significant flooding and other damage inland where very few carried flood insurance. Likely not the best article on the topic but you can get the gist. A lot of the risks are being undersold by those with motives - financial and political.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...wners-00059615

Old 10-01-2022, 06:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,289,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
^^^Thanks for the link. That is a truly frightening article.
It sure was!

Old 10-01-2022, 06:51 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,831,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
FL weather is best for the very elderly who tend to chill easily, and others like that.

I live in northeast TN at about 1800'. It's rarely over here 90 in the summer - July highs are usually upper 80s, tops. We do get some higher temps, but it's not often. January still often gets into the 50s or even 60s on occasion - we rarely stay sub-freezing for more than a few days at a time. That said, I get tired of the grey skies and drizzle.

It's not nearly as humid as FL, the Gulf Coast, the Atlantic Coast, Nashville/Memphis, the Piedmont area in NC/SC, or even places a bit north like Richmond, VA.

Girlfriend and I flew into Sarasota in March. It was like a wall of humidity hit us coming out of Asheville. Yes, I got used to it fairly quickly. I did a couple mile light hike in Destin a couple weeks ago without sweating profusely or anything, but I'm 36 and an experienced mountain hiker.

I'd like bail out of TN around November and come back around the end of March. FL is just fine that time of year.
Weather-wise I agree with you. But the overdevelopment and destruction of the environment is just too much. We had to leave our hometown because it was just too sad to watch.

Old 10-01-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Do your research. Florida is a low lying state and there was significant flooding and other damage inland where very few carried flood insurance. Likely not the best article on the topic but you can get the gist. A lot of the risks are being undersold by those with motives - financial and political.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...wners-00059615
Biden said that the Federal government would be helping those who did not have enough insurance. I'm assuming that would include those w/o flood insurance. He was saying something like a 75K payment and maybe a second 75K payment. I do not have the details of what would qualify a homeowner for that kind of help.

Old 10-01-2022, 07:24 PM

50,883 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Biden said that the Federal government would be helping those who did not have enough insurance. I'm assuming that would include those w/o flood insurance. He was saying something like a 75K payment and maybe a second 75K payment. I do not have the details of what would qualify a homeowner for that kind of help.
I would really need to see a link to that. I highly doubt he’s going to give $150,000 to thousands of people.

Old 10-01-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would really need to see a link to that. I highly doubt he’s going to give $150,000 to thousands of people.
Actually he said 2 payments of 37K. It's when he made his remarks to FEMA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement