Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 04:16 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,668,310 times

Advertisements

I drove from DC to Colorado (and back) recently. I stopped often to stretch and for potty breaks. But honestly, I pass the time by listening to the "noise" in my head. Therefore, I drive mostly in silence. Every once in a while I'd listen to a podcast. But mostly just me & my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 04:27 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,576,439 times
When I was married we passed the time by talking and playing music. I detest audio books. I can’t read in a moving car as it gives me a headache. Now alone I don’t take car trips because it’s too difficult having 2 dogs being alone. Plus I can’t drive long distances and everyone lives thousands of miles from me. With 2 people sharing the drive it was different.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:00 PM

24,639 posts, read 10,968,622 times
We have no problems entertaining each other while driving a couple of hours. Never had.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:48 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
I find looking out the window sufficient entertainment. That and a few snacks are all I need. Same for train rides. Sad that so many require so much other stimulation! I'd say most people just stare at their phones these days, or at least that's what I see happening in other cars when I look out the window or look at other passengers on trains. If I'm driving (in which case I can't really relax and take in the scenery), I like an audio book.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:25 PM

4,348 posts, read 4,728,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For any trip about 8 hours or less, we prefer to just drive, rather than deal with possible flight delays, lost luggage, needing a rental car etc.

We do the obvious things like audiobooks, listen to music, use books of conversation starter questions, even read interesting articles or jokes to each other. Are there other pleasant ways you pass the time on road trips?

Unless I’m traveling with my bike, I’m flying.

Old 08-05-2023, 10:24 PM

8,097 posts, read 7,470,654 times
How do you pass the time on road trips?

By driving the car.

Old 08-05-2023, 11:00 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,334,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
How do you pass the time on road trips?

By driving the car.
Me too.

Have to remember to update the map in the system.

If I want entertainment let the radio scan for the next station. Like to get next town local broadcast, AM or FM. Like to see how far I can get listening to hometown station.

Had the 6 disc CD player in the trunk. Now the CD is replaced by a dongle.

Old 08-05-2023, 11:17 PM

5,769 posts, read 11,397,632 times
It's just me, not we. If driving a car, I can drive for hours in silence and look at the world going by. Even in wide open barren landscape like you might see in the great plains in the US. Sometimes I'll scan the radio stations to see if something interesting pops up.

If I am taking a "road trip" via train here in Germany, it's easy. I have my Kindle book reader always loaded with a few new books, I'll relax and sometimes cat nap, or occasionally chat with another passenger on the train. I've met lots of interesting people of all ages on the train.

Old 08-06-2023, 01:18 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,693,281 times
We drive from SoCal to our 2nd home in North Idaho every summer, 1300 miles. It usually takes us two to three overnight stays. We alternate between routes all depending on the weather, and we have CD collections that are selected to match the scenery, usually big movie themes for big Western landscapes. Driving through urban areas calls for classic rock 'n roll . I don't much like audiobooks on trips, because I find them distracting. We don't use Internet playlists, just our own collections. Of course we also talk, usually about upbeat subjects, planning our vacation, etc. Nobody needs their blood pressure going up while driving, it's stressful enough as it is!

We have to stop every 2-3 hours for the sake of our two dogs--and it's good for the circulation to get out and take a quick stroll and a stretch, anyway. Fortunately both dogs enjoy road trips; they are intensely interested in looking at the world passing by on the freeway. Even better if we drive more slowly through neighborhoods, with the windows down. And when they get bored, they curl up and go to sleep. I wish I knew how they process all the sights and smells. But they seem to remember special places from year to year, such as particularly nice rest stops with lots of grass. One year at a rest stop our dog Tribbles was apparently looking for a mouse she had seen there the previous year! At least we think that's what was going on in her brain. Or maybe she was following a trail created by generations of mice... Our dog Sweetie who passed away 9 years ago was the best road buddy in the world: patient, interested, happy to be with us, always ready for new adventures. Traveling with dogs can limit your options, but it can also be fun to be traveling as a multispecies family.

Old 08-06-2023, 05:27 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,141,790 times
I simply enjoy the scenery. Even when there’s nothing dramatic I check out the vegetation on the side of the roads or how the crops are laid out.

Meanwhile I am attentive to all the traffic in front and behind, and tend to categorize driver behaviors in advance.

Then I stop for gas every time it drops to half a tank.

Can you tell I’ve made several 1000+ mile trips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement