Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 06:48 PM

37,659 posts, read 46,099,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Good music makes my right foot heavier.
LOL. True that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 08:19 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,394,794 times
Listen to music - 60's-80's mostly, sometimes Comedy or Talk. Do 5-6 hours about 2x a month - longer trips once or twice a year.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:53 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,669,554 times
While my husband drives, I use Google to look up the histories of and stories related to the towns/cities we're passing through and read them out loud to him.

It's amazing how much fascinating American history we've learned this way!

And, we've often decided to take detours to see stuff we would've never known existed otherwise. Those detours are usually the highlight of our long road trips.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:53 PM

2,988 posts, read 1,576,156 times
I queue up several podcasts, or listen to music on Sirius/XM. Road Trip Radio, The Spectrum, and Classic Vinyl are a few of my favorite channels.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,656 posts, read 81,403,499 times
I have always enjoyed driving, so 8 hours on the road is fine with me, as long as I have music to listen to. We have Sirius so I can listen to "70s on 7" (classic rock) the whole way, without having to keep searching and changing FM stations as we lose the signals. My wife will bring along her iPad and sometimes read an E-book or look up some places to stop along the way.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:59 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,769,138 times
We use to drive 13 hours from NY to IN every year to see our parents. One Thanksgiving trip we happed upon a Sirius channel that was playing old radio programs with Thanksgiving themes. They were all comedies and made that trip enjoyable and memorable. We were in a holiday mood when we arrived.

We kept our Sirius introductory subscription for the car when we found we could play it through Alexa in the house too. The Beatles channel snd Classic Vinyl are favorites when sewing or restoring antique sewing machines.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:06 AM

35,121 posts, read 31,403,664 times
I have an online card game that I play on my phone if I'm not driving. It involves eight players to eliminate until there is a last man standing. Games take between 30-40 minutes.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:40 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,152,944 times
It just dawned on me that those of us claiming we are just able to enjoy the scenery are no doubt talking about Daylight driving.

When I was younger there were plenty of drives that included nighttime highway drives. So hmmm yeah those trips added Howard Cosell. We needed to remain attentive.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:54 AM

6,487 posts, read 6,697,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
While my husband drives, I use Google to look up the histories of and stories related to the towns/cities we're passing through and read them out loud to him.

It's amazing how much fascinating American history we've learned this way!

And, we've often decided to take detours to see stuff we would've never known existed otherwise. Those detours are usually the highlight of our long road trips.
I love this idea! Thanks!

Old 08-07-2023, 12:58 PM

11,231 posts, read 8,324,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For any trip about 8 hours or less, we prefer to just drive, rather than deal with possible flight delays, lost luggage, needing a rental car etc.

We do the obvious things like audiobooks, listen to music, use books of conversation starter questions, even read interesting articles or jokes to each other. Are there other pleasant ways you pass the time on road trips?
Wife and I travel really well together. Sometimes we end up just talking and realized that hours have passed. For other times:
  1. Our best thing is to pick a few podcasts to listen to. True Crime are fun, as is Stuff You should Know and other podcasts
  2. Music, but we don't always like the same music, so the passenger might use heaphpones
  3. Blanket and a pillow. One snoozes while the other drives
  4. Interesting stops along the way. Go a bit out of your way to find a cool place to stop and check out.
  5. Dine in a LOCAL restaurant instead of just getting drive-through and motoring. Lot of good experiences that way.

Those are a few that come to mind. The podcast thing has really been great. We listen for a while, and then have something to talk about. We did a 3-part series on Jeffrey Dahlmer once. As awful as it was, we were both compelled to keep listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement