Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 11:52 AM

11,784 posts, read 6,149,854 times

Advertisements

I use to enjoy music and talk shows, but I now wear earplugs to protect what little is left of my hearing.

I take a lot of breaks. A LOT. So my road trips are on the slow side. Sucks for hotel costs but it is relaxing, peaceful, and I see things many people miss, including non-touristy things. It gives me a better sense of the country I am traveling through.

I am always looking for roadside attractions.

Disclaimer: I travel alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 12:28 PM

12,080 posts, read 8,476,366 times
Most of our road trips I enjoy the scenery. Even if it's familiar the changing of the seasons in many places makes it interesting.

We make it a habit to stop and have a look if something catches our attention.

I also can read or listen to podcasts but that's something I can do at home so I usually don't. Music is good.

Old 08-06-2023, 12:41 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,220,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For any trip about 8 hours or less, we prefer to just drive, rather than deal with possible flight delays, lost luggage, needing a rental car etc.

We do the obvious things like audiobooks, listen to music, use books of conversation starter questions, even read interesting articles or jokes to each other. Are there other pleasant ways you pass the time on road trips?

Usually I read opinion pieces from various news outlets and we discuss. We might do jokes, or hunt out coffee shops we want to try on the way, listen to music. If we see something interesting we stop and explore .

Old 08-06-2023, 01:10 PM

130,749 posts, read 12,197,426 times
I like to see the scenery. If it's on the freeway & boring, we have the music on & I read my kindle.

Old 08-06-2023, 01:24 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,586,859 times
It's not long trips but I enjoy getting out and just riding through the county listening to the radio. We call that my "me time".
My wife can't do much so I'm doing all the shopping, cooking, housework, etc. So, when I have to run to the store for something, it may take me 20-30 minutes to get home, just getting some fresh air and turning the radio up. Joked with my wife about wasting gas ($3.25/gallon now), but she said not to worry about it. Gotta do what the wife says! lol

Old 08-06-2023, 02:21 PM

4,887 posts, read 4,832,327 times
For us, the road is part of the trip, and we take at least one big one each year, avoiding the interstates whenever possible. We only fly if there's no road going there. We have sirius/xm, weather maps on the nav system and paper maps to review, a few flash drives with a couple of thousand songs on them if we want to listen to something specific, and we often stop in the small towns along the way. It's about the journey as much as the destination.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:24 PM

37,714 posts, read 46,140,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For any trip about 8 hours or less, we prefer to just drive, rather than deal with possible flight delays, lost luggage, needing a rental car etc.

We do the obvious things like audiobooks, listen to music, use books of conversation starter questions, even read interesting articles or jokes to each other. Are there other pleasant ways you pass the time on road trips?
I love driving and I love music. The two go together well. I also listen to audiobooks. Mostly though, I enjoy the scenery and the drive.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:28 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,994,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I love driving and I love music. The two go together well. I also listen to audiobooks. Mostly though, I enjoy the scenery and the drive.
Good music makes my right foot heavier.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-06-2023, 05:03 PM

6,494 posts, read 6,704,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Usually I read opinion pieces from various news outlets and we discuss. We might do jokes, or hunt out coffee shops we want to try on the way, listen to music. If we see something interesting we stop and explore .
That's a great idea! We read the paper together every morning at home, and discuss things of interest. I hadn't thought of doing something similar in the car.

Old 08-06-2023, 05:04 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,365,179 times
Audio books, for sure. I plan the menu so my boss can get me through the whole trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement