Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 08:34 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

No more fun service gas stations with pump attendants, but Publix baggers always offer to carry out my bags out to my car. My kids had bank saving books. Electric skillet frying pans are still around too.

I miss the strawberry flavor Nestlé's Quik and phone booths with seats.

Floor ashtrays are a hoot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 09:44 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Band-aid boxes that were made of metal and had a top with a hinge to open it. We "recycled" these boxes to hold many things after the band-aids were used up.

Old 09-23-2023, 01:51 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
15. Note pads that were hung on the wall next to the kitchen wall phone so that you could take a message or write down any information you needed:

Speaking of phones - Anybody remember 'party lines'?

ETA : You had to share a single line with another household in your neighborhood.

Last edited by allthatglitters; 09-23-2023 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: It must just be a Canadian thing...

Old 09-23-2023, 04:02 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Some are memories, some are not

I remember Nestle - it was around until not too long ago.

I don't remember Duck and Cover. My husband does and he grew up in Miami. We were in the Chicago area at the time.

I don't remember floor ashtrays or whatever they were but my parents did not smoke. My dad smoked as a very young man and gave it up. You know what they say about reformed smokers!! (He was always cool about it though).

We never had a party line or an actual wall phone. I was able to buy my own line when I was 16 because I got a lot of calls and didn't want my sibs to be picking up the phone and saying "She's talking to a BOY" -
We got the newest phones when they came out. My sisters both had Princess phones in their room. I just had a regular phone which was fine.

I don't remember all the Jell-O recipes. We just ate Jell-O plain - maybe with whipped cream if we got lucky. If my mom cooked, it was a meal with salad, appetizer and then main meal. My dad wanted that. By the time it came to dessert, we were full. (Or, we were dying to go out and continue playing outside - I mean, we lived in Florida!)

I remember the name Dr. Scholl's but my mom never wore those. She had varicose veins so she always wore a regular shoe.

The first time I ever experienced fast food (Burger King) was my junior year of high school. I had never been to a fast food place and I remember I had a milkshake which was delicious. Well, told my parents and they were so mad. Went on and on about all the crap that goes into that kind of food, etc. So, didn't do much fast food after that and still do not today. (My mom used to make most from scratch - she was an amazing cook - not pizza or meat loaf though!!)

My brother had the banana seat bike - all the boys did - not so much for girls. Very late 60's - early 70's I think. We all had bikes.

I wish the TV would go off like it used to. It would give us all a break.

My parents would watch Ed Sullivan and I remember all of us only wanted to watch what musical group came on. They were pretty strict with TV.

Late 1970's came along and my parents became infatuated with watching Dallas. My Dad loved JR.
When my brother would have a football game, they manned the Coke booth. They were always in a hurry to leave to get home and watch Dallas. (We all gave them a hard time in return but then got hooked on Dallas as well!!!)

Kind of nice back then when people pretty much watched similiar things.

Old 09-23-2023, 04:09 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we watch the ed sullivan show on cable ..how we sat through some of those acts is a mystery .

even the comedians weren’t funny

Old 09-23-2023, 04:28 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
We never got Ed Sullivan out on the west coast Oregon

No duck and cover drills however our teacher did do something similar and yelled "earthquake" and we got under the desks.

Sandwiches were done in the folded plastic or cling wrap

Too poor to head Howard Johnson and they weren't in our area anyway.

Yeah JCPenney or Sears that was considered upscale at the time. Course I did like Kmart and Payless anyway.

Nice jog down memory lane....

Old 09-23-2023, 05:25 PM

64 posts, read 58,935 times
Teenage newspaper carrier stopping by every Saturday to "collect". Using Silver Salutes and M80s fireworks until they were banned, circa mid-'60s. Buying ten different items of candy at the dandy price of a penny each. Solo trick-or-treat outings with no thought of safety being something of concern. Racing out the door to score the latest copy of boss radio rock-and-roll Top 30.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:10 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Band-aid boxes that were made of metal and had a top with a hinge to open it.
We "recycled" these boxes to hold many things after the band-aids were used up.
Aha... didn't think about that until it was brought up, but they're no longer around?

Old 09-23-2023, 07:19 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we watch the ed sullivan show on cable ..how we sat through some of those acts is a mystery .

even the comedians weren’t funny
Watching Ed Sullivan repeats is a hoot...it features the stars when they were young and before they got a nose job. i.e. Tom Jones

Old 09-23-2023, 11:42 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalind...os-for-boomers

This is a fun list, with pictures. I remember every one of them
I did not grow up in the US, so only 3 of the items on the list were present in my childhood: the Beatles, standing ashtrays, and phone booths with seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement