Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 02:41 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Growing up in the 1960s, we weren't even allowed to change the channel that often because my mother said it would wear out the channel knob.

That's funny! I don't think my Dad worried too much about that because IIRC, we didn't get that many channels on the TV so there weren't a lot of choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 02:59 PM

7,908 posts, read 3,453,049 times
I'm GenX not a boomer but I recognize a lot from those pics. My wife still wraps my work lunches in wax paper.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's funny! I don't think my Dad worried too much about that because IIRC, we didn't get that many channels on the TV so there weren't a lot of choices.
We had three channels plus the PBS station. When a show ended, we were supposed to look at the weekly TV schedule to decide what we would watch next. I pretty much memorized the schedule every week so I had the first vote.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:22 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
We had three channels plus the PBS station. When a show ended, we were supposed to look at the weekly TV schedule to decide what we would watch next. I pretty much memorized the schedule every week so I had the first vote.
yes! i remember poring over the TV guide and reading it cover to cover. i read pretty much anything i could get my hands on as a kid. and yes, 3 channels only (NBC, CBS, and ABC) and none of them got good reception because we lived in the boonies. there was an antenna on the roof, and a contraption which sat on the top of the TV set and we turned it a big flat dial, which apparently caused the antenna on the roof to rotate and turn. it did not seem to do much good, i remember turning it and being yelled at more this way or that, of course just like the channels the parents did not turn it themselves they had us kids turn it. while being yelled at. the reception was not good. the picture rolled vertically, there was a knob for that, it rolled sideways there was a horizontal adjust know for that, and there was random static which we tried to fix with various other knobs. there was so much yelling to go back and forth up and down to go adjust the set, that sometimes me or my brother would just sit right by the set instead of going back and forth, and then we got yelled at for that not to sit so close to the TV set or it would ruin our eyes.

sounds like many of us had that same routine around TV though

Old 09-24-2023, 04:40 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Again, I did not grow up in the US, and we did not have wall phones, just rotary ones. In fact, I had a rotary phone after I arrived in the US in the early-mid1980s as well. In fact, I still have that rotary phone in a box in the closet (and was actually using it until spring 2001! I must have been one of the last users of a rotary phone in the US!).
No, I still use mine.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:42 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Any women here remember sitting for hours under those electric hair dryers with big plastic bubble caps over the rollers?

My parents were both smokers, but I never saw those standup ashtrays — instead we had ENORMOUS blown glass ashtrays around — they were the size of dinner plates or bigger.
Good grief….how many ashes and butts were they expecting to collect???

Remember Shirley Temple drinks for girls?
Do they still even sell marachino cherries anywhere?
Yes they still sell marachino cherries. Had one yesterday.

Old 09-24-2023, 05:04 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Do they still have ice cream trucks?
That was one of my favorite experiences — It was only certain days it came down our street, and all the kids in the neighborhood would come out and surround it.

Old 09-24-2023, 05:06 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Yes, they're in my town in the summer months. Mostly they park near events/beach area so they don't waste gas driving around.

I lived in a gated community as a kid so we never had them there.

Old 09-24-2023, 05:26 PM

445 posts, read 281,410 times
Quote:
Do they still have ice cream trucks?
That was one of my favorite experiences — It was only certain days it came down our street, and all the kids in the neighborhood would come out and surround it.
When I was a kid, my parents told me that the ice cream truck only played music when they were all out of ice cream.

Old 09-24-2023, 06:39 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Default Yes, part of this

Quote:
Any women here remember sitting for hours under those electric hair dryers with big plastic bubble caps over the rollers?

My parents were both smokers, but I never saw those standup ashtrays — instead we had ENORMOUS blown glass ashtrays around — they were the size of dinner plates or bigger.
Good grief….how many ashes and butts were they expecting to collect???

Remember Shirley Temple drinks for girls?
Do they still even sell marachino cherries anywhere?
I never did the rollers because I wanted straight hair.

There were 3 girls in the family. We figured out if we turned the AC way down it blew outside (the air) and we would stand or bend over and her hair would dry in like less than 1 minute. Really straight also.
The AC unit was outside on the side of the house.

We had to be quick doing it. Parents never figured it out.

If we went to dinner or brunch, our parents ordered Shirley Temples for us. Finally, when I was a teen, I said to my dad, can I just get a Coke? I got it and the other eventually followed. We felt they were for little kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement