Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 06:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,256,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The milkman! The house I lived in had a two-quart sized insulated box next to the door to put the delivery in.

And the (usually) young man, apprentice, who came out of the filling station when he heard the bell ring. You sat behind the wheel while he filled the gas, cleaned the front and back windows, checked the oil and the air in your tires.

We also had a real live blacksmith and shop.

Born in '48.
We had a milkman until the 1980's. His name was Mr. Jim. Very nice guy. We never had anything dropped off; he just rang the bell.

I miss full service gas stations. We had one here in our city until the late 1990's. It was always crowded.
I always went there because it would be late and safety was a concern even then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 10:12 PM

17,614 posts, read 13,401,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we watch the ed sullivan show on cable ..how we sat through some of those acts is a mystery .

even the comedians weren’t funny
There wasn't anything else to watch

Only 3 channels

Old 09-24-2023, 10:17 PM

22,308 posts, read 19,272,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Do they still have ice cream trucks?
That was one of my favorite experiences — It was only certain days it came down our street, and all the kids in the neighborhood would come out and surround it.
yes. i live in a city and they come around regularly on a daily basis in the hot weather.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:57 AM

11,863 posts, read 5,835,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
No more fun service gas stations with pump attendants, but Publix baggers always offer to carry out my bags out to my car. My kids had bank saving books. Electric skillet frying pans are still around too.

I miss the strawberry flavor Nestlé's Quik and phone booths with seats.

Floor ashtrays are a hoot!
There's still Strawberry Nestle Quik - just bought some for my son at the grocery store. Pretty expensive nowadays though.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:47 AM

2,316 posts, read 1,535,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
We had three channels plus the PBS station. When a show ended, we were supposed to look at the weekly TV schedule to decide what we would watch next. I pretty much memorized the schedule every week so I had the first vote.
Television only started in this country in 1956, in time for the Melbourne Olympics. I remember people watching the sets in shop windows. There were three channels and I think the government one went off at about 10pm.

We were amazed when we took the kids to the US in 1991 and encountered so many channels. So many choices but nothing much of interest!

Now of course we have caught up and it would be great if they all went off at 10pm.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:56 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I just missed being a Boomer, myself, I am an old Gen Xer. Duck and cover, the Ed Sullivan show and sandwiches wrapped in wax paper were before my time.

Everything else I remember.
I am a Boomer, but born in 1958. We did not do duck and cover, but my older sisters did. I think our sandwiches were wrapped in cling wrap, but then baggies came along.

I remember TV shows signing off with the national anthem.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:00 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Do they still have ice cream trucks?
That was one of my favorite experiences — It was only certain days it came down our street, and all the kids in the neighborhood would come out and surround it.
Are you kidding? Yes, and SO annoying. The music is awful and gets stuck in your head from hearing it every day. I don't know how the ice cream truck drivers don't drink themselves to death.

Lol, some years ago, my friend was dating a guy who had an apartment in a somewhat seedy section of the city. She said there was an ice cream truck parked on the street at 11 pm and you would see people running out to it. Obviously they sold more than popsicles!

Old 09-25-2023, 06:14 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,385,007 times
I remember every single one of those things. In our home -- there were 5 children -- and we were EACH allowed to pick one show a week to watch and the rest had to sit through the choices. I always picked Bonanza and one of my sisters picked The Patty Duke Show, My poor brother hated all our choices -- he always picked The Untouchables altho my mother disapproved and said it was too violent. What a different world that was!! We ALL were allowed to watch the Ed Sullivan Show because my dad liked it and the special treat was The Wonderful World of Disney and/or Animal Kingdom. That was when Disney was wholesome.

Finally I still love those electric skillets -- makes the best pan fried chicken ever.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:48 AM

17,354 posts, read 11,316,686 times
I used to LOVE the Good Humor truck when I was a kid in Conn.

In SoCal, the last few years I lived there, there was a local beat up looking ice cream van that would drive down my street while playing "La Cucaracha" which means "the cockroach", LOL. Enough said about that....

Old 09-25-2023, 07:36 AM

4,543 posts, read 3,766,012 times
No duck and cover but a variation we did for tornado warnings: out in the hallway with the lockers away from the windows, bent on our knees with our arms over our head.

When the test pattern came on after the Avenger re-runs, I knew my boyfriend (DH now) would be stopping by on his way home from his summer job at the local TV station.

I was happy to hear an ice cream truck in Florida when we moved here, I hadn’t heard one since childhood. It brought back memories of orange push ups and other novelty ice cream treats.

We didn’t use the milkman but the neighbors did. The milkman called me Red and looked the other way as we took some ice to eat off the truck. I’m sure that was sanitary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement