Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 08:47 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I agree with the bold.

However, I think that each generation has faced some very challenging circumstance, but these challenges have changed with each new generation since at least "The Greatest Generation".

But that being said, I am very glad I was born a Boomer. I do think that, overall, the working adults of our generation had it better than any other generation before or since. I do feel very sorry for those born after 1975 for many reasons.
Our children are earning double and triple what we earn. Born 1980-88.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 09:52 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
It raises the obvious question - why does the application process need to be so complicated? Why can't the application process be matched to the mental acuity of an elderly person? Who benefits from complex paperwork?

It appears complex paperwork benefits governmental organizations in that the organizations need more employees to process complex paperwork. It doesn't benefit taxpayers. It doesn't benefit seniors. It doesn't benefit ALFs or SNFs. It benefits government bureaucrats.
This is the big question that never gets a satisfactory answer. Why does the government create programs and benefits for people, and then it far too complicated for normal people to apply for and even understand what they are applying. I agree that the regulatory agencies have done this to us and not for us.

As a seasoned citizen, I feel my education and experience makes me somewhat equipped to look at the plethora of Medicare and part D options and make some type of rational decision about what is is best for us. I can't imagine how someone who doesn't have the necessary skills can understand and make some these decisions.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:35 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
This is the big question that never gets a satisfactory answer. Why does the government create programs and benefits for people, and then it far too complicated for normal people to apply for and even understand what they are applying. I agree that the regulatory agencies have done this to us and not for us.

The purpose of these various so called social service agencies is the preservation of these agencies and the jobs associated with it. Not to best serve the citizens who utilize these services. They have a monopoly its not like you can go down the road to a competing agency for help.

Old 11-19-2023, 12:23 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Why does the government create programs and benefits for people, and then it far too complicated for normal people to apply for and even understand what they are applying. I agree that the regulatory agencies have done this to us and not for us.
The answer that you seek is the word bureaucracy.

Whenever a government agency is formed they hire a bunch of paper-pushers, with a strong union knowing that they can never be fired. They have absolute job security, whether they perform their job, or not.

Government bureaucracies have never been known for customer service.

Does any DMV run smoothly?

What about the VA?

Old 11-19-2023, 12:51 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
How do government workers move up? They create new programs and projects and build more little kingdoms that they can rule over with more peons working for them. They go to committee meetings and write papers for funding. These new programs make their bosses look good too. Then they can apply for higher paying positions by touting all the new programs and projects they are in charge of. Every year their budgets get bigger and bigger and they need to spend more and more so their program doesn't get cut.

Old 11-19-2023, 01:32 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
My dad was a WWII vet. In combat. Well after his death and when my mom was elderly with dementia I found out combat veterans and their widows can get around $1,000 a month for health care assistance. I had no idea. My dad could have used that back in the 80's when he suffered a stroke and my mom retired at 62 in the early 90's to take care of him. About $10k a year for the past 40 years out the window. I actually did apply for my mom during covid. She passed away before the feds got around to approving it.

Its interesting that people just showing up here milking our generosity get whatever they want.
I am so sorry to hear that.
With FIL I cashed in every favor I could. MIL's response? Nothing.
Will you please share this information wherever you can? If you do not want to post details on CD - will you give me some directions for my CD friend please?

Old 11-19-2023, 01:34 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The answer that you seek is the word bureaucracy.

Whenever a government agency is formed they hire a bunch of paper-pushers, with a strong union knowing that they can never be fired. They have absolute job security, whether they perform their job, or not.

Government bureaucracies have never been known for customer service.

Does any DMV run smoothly?

What about the VA?
VA
It depends on the individual facility.

DMV
It took me 30 days to get a temporary handicapped tag for SO.

Old 11-19-2023, 03:03 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
It raises the obvious question - why does the application process need to be so complicated? Why can't the application process be matched to the mental acuity of an elderly person? Who benefits from complex paperwork?

It appears complex paperwork benefits governmental organizations in that the organizations need more employees to process complex paperwork. It doesn't benefit taxpayers. It doesn't benefit seniors. It doesn't benefit ALFs or SNFs. It benefits government bureaucrats.
If applications were too simple, people would complain the government was just handing out money willy nilly.

Old 11-19-2023, 03:07 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I am so sorry to hear that.
With FIL I cashed in every favor I could. MIL's response? Nothing.
Will you please share this information wherever you can? If you do not want to post details on CD - will you give me some directions for my CD friend please?
Here is the basic info, these are 2022 numbers I believe they went up:

VA Aid and Attendance benefits and Housebound allowance

https://www.va.gov/pension/aid-attendance-housebound/

The maximum annual Aid & Attendance pension amount for a Wartime Veteran with no dependents is $1,912
per month, with one dependent is $2,266, and the maximum annual Aid & Attendance pension amount for a Surviving
Spouse of a Wartime Veteran is $1,230 per month.

Veteran / Surviving Spouse (applicant) must be 65 or officially disabled (service connection not required).
• Veteran must be “wartime” & served 90 days & at least 1 day (not necessarily in combat) during: World War II
Dec 7, 1941 – Dec 31, 1946 / Korean War Jun 27, 1950 - Jan 31, 1955 / Vietnam War Aug 5, 1964 - May 7, 1975
(or Feb 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in Vietnam) / Gulf War Aug 2, 1990 – Undetermined.
• Veteran cannot have been dishonorably discharged.
• Surviving Spouse must have been living with the veteran at the time of their death and must be single.
• The applicant must require help with the activities of daily living.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:26 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I'm getting help. I live on less than $20,000 a year Social Security. I'm getting a whopping $23 a month in food stamps.

Seriously, I feel I can feed myself, so it's not such a hardship. Plus I don't think what I'm living on puts me in poverty. I'm one of the lucky ones. I own my own land outright with no mortgage or rent to pay. But I will say this: it's not that help isn't out there. It's that most low-income seniors don't qualify for it.

And here's something funnier. I went in to recertify my food stamps. One of the questions on the form you have to fill out is "Do you own a recreational vehicle, boat, blah, blah, blah?" Well, I had to answer yes, I do own a trailer. I live in it (not a mobile home - a trailer). Now, normally, this is looked on as an exception. But this time the person I was interviewing with put it on down without any explanation and wow, guess who was so rich they owned a trailer for RVing? I got this corrected, of course, but can you imagine all those people living in campers as an alternative to living in tents on the streets and told they don't qualify for anything because they own trailers and RV around the country like rich retirees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement