Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 11:28 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times

Advertisements

This article brings up the money that's available but going unused in poverty assistance programs. Many programs aren't well understood, or the process to apply is difficult for some. It's a fairly quick read and might bring up some programs that those living on low-income might find helpful.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/pers...528039c&ei=214
It almost sounds too far-fetched to be true. But according to research by the National Council on Aging (NCOA) millions of adults aged 65 and older struggle to pay for basic living expenses because…they aren’t enrolled in programs they actually qualify for.

The result, NCOA has found, is that millions of people are not able to take advantage of some $30 billion a year in benefits that could help them cover the cost of food, utilities, medical care, prescriptions and more.

Programs such as SNAP, Extra Help, Medicare Savings Programs and SSI could help. Check out how to apply with your local area Council (or Agency) on Aging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 11:40 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
They definitely need to increase the amount of savings you can have to qualify for services. I hope the bill passes. The article is depressing. The government needs to do a better job of outreach and informing seniors of what’s available.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:26 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
When my mom was alive, she needed so much help in order to apply for the programs she was eligible for. If I hadn't helped her she wouldn't have ever gotten her SSDI (which required an appeal), SSI, or Medicare. I also got her into subsidized housing, a handicap parking pass, a handicap parking space at her building, and when she could no longer access her building (due to stairs), I helped her get a place in subsidized IL and a IHSS worker a couple times a week. The application processes were tricky and time-consuming. For those like my mom with minimal education, limited internet access, or a low tolerance for bureaucracy, it was damn near impossible.

Old 11-16-2023, 03:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The problem is that at a certain age, many are not capable of doing the research and all of the complicated paperwork. We had to do all of that for my mother-in-law at 80, and again for my Mom at age 88. My mother-in-law passed at age 95 in 2013 and had never touched a computer or smartphone. My Mom is now 93 and she did have a computer but only stored photos on it, and never had a smart phone. For the older seniors without family willing and able to help them, it's a difficult situation.

Old 11-16-2023, 03:13 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I think -- and this is just a guess based on my past older family members, only one of whom is still living -- that another reason is that many older people are too proud to apply for "charity" or any kind of federal assistance. I grew up with the idea that only lazy people applied for welfare and it was shameful to do so. Now, of course, that idea is out of date, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if many older people still felt that way.

Old 11-16-2023, 03:22 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
As said, the big issue for Silents and even some older Boomers is just a lack of understanding of modern tech.

I had bloodwork done at a PCP last month. I got a lab report in my email. There was no interpretation of this stuff. I found a clinical summary document from the physician buried in another web portal. No one called. My grandmother and probably my mother wouldn't have known what to do.

There are a lot of government programs that are effectively buried in back pages or on websites where most people won't know where to look.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:06 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think -- and this is just a guess based on my past older family members, only one of whom is still living -- that another reason is that many older people are too proud to apply for "charity" or any kind of federal assistance. I grew up with the idea that only lazy people applied for welfare and it was shameful to do so. Now, of course, that idea is out of date, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if many older people still felt that way.
That being out of date is strictly your opinion. Many people feel that way, maybe more than those who think it's ok to apply for those benefits.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:09 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As said, the big issue for Silents and even some older Boomers is just a lack of understanding of modern tech.

I had bloodwork done at a PCP last month. I got a lab report in my email. There was no interpretation of this stuff. I found a clinical summary document from the physician buried in another web portal. No one called. My grandmother and probably my mother wouldn't have known what to do.

There are a lot of government programs that are effectively buried in back pages or on websites where most people won't know where to look.
What keeps you from stepping up to handling this for your elderly?

Old 11-16-2023, 08:32 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What keeps you from stepping up to handling this for your elderly?
He probably does which is why he mentioned it.

Old 11-17-2023, 04:48 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem is that at a certain age, many are not capable of doing the research and all of the complicated paperwork. We had to do all of that for my mother-in-law at 80, and again for my Mom at age 88. My mother-in-law passed at age 95 in 2013 and had never touched a computer or smartphone. My Mom is now 93 and she did have a computer but only stored photos on it, and never had a smart phone. For the older seniors without family willing and able to help them, it's a difficult situation.

More often than you might imagine, many don't even have family members able to navigate the application processes.

Unless they can find a social worker at the Salvation Army or somewhere to help them sort through things, they are out of luck.

Even sophisticated elders with the necessary cognitive and computer skills often hire geriatric social workers and care managers, people who specialize in navigating this world, to help them figure out what options they have available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement