Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2023, 09:46 AM

8,359 posts, read 4,377,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
And you walked five miles to school and shared the only pair of shoes with yourself. Please, just about very other member on CD has had some rough spots. What have you done to support your family, your former neighbors and friends?

Yugoslavia may not have been the center of the universe and an unnatural constellation like so many but it was a great place. Most of my memories are fond ones.
I walked about 2 miles to school (it was in Zagreb), and yes, usually wore one pair of shoes until they fell apart, then would get another pair. The housing situation which I described is not something I consider to have been a "rough spot" - on the contrary, note that I described it as a completely satisfactory, workable solution for my family in financial/housing constraints. The reason why we all left ex-Yu was not economic.

Anyone with a brain is aware that Yugoslavia was obviously NOT a great place, particularly in its final pre-war and war decade. Most of my memories of it are awful - just about the only fond ones I have from there are memories of some Yugoslav rock bands ("mala moja, da sam bijelo duuug..." :-). Last time I visited any place anywhere in the ex-Yu territory was in 1986, and I have no desire to visit it again - that tells you how fond my memories are :-). But my lack of fondness has nothing to do with any FINANCIAL hardship I experienced there (we dealt with that without major difficulty) - it is entirely due to hatred and danger I experienced there.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I can't access that site...I'm in a different country and I don't have a subscription to the nytimes.

Could you please provide the gist of it...how does a HOMELESS 65yr old afford to buy meth and fentanyl - as you assert?
This is the copy of the title and the summary at the top of the article:
"Substance Abuse Is Climbing Among Seniors
Many aging baby boomers have long histories with drugs, cannabis and alcohol. “The field wasn’t ready for that,” said one expert."

That is from NYT; this is my answer to your other question: homeless addicts say that they fund their habit largely by stealing (eg, items such as detergent etc. in bulk from drugstores - and if they get a chance, bicycles, cellphones, and electronics, although I suspect those would be too much work for an elderly addict, whereas he/she can just go to a drugstore with a large plastic trashbag, and transfer a whole shelf of merchandise into the trashbag), and reselling to larger crime operators that move these items further, including internationally. Also, if homeless addicts receive any welfare income, such as SSI, they spend it on drugs. If you are homeless and drift over to San Francisco, the city provides you with a monthly stipend just for being homeless (it used to be around $650 per month - someone told me it is $800 now) - if you are an addict, you'll spend that on drugs (why would you spend it on housing? then how would you get drugs, plus you might lose the stipend for homelessness). Drugs cost very little on the street, particularly those of low purity, and an addict can stay drugged all day for under $25.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:16 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We are doing our part to the best of our ability. Some a bit on the sly to avoid the charity feeling.

OP seems to have retired recently and is bored. Too many inconsistencies and adjustments when called upon.
OP here. I've been retired since 1/1/2011. I'm definitely not bored. I participate in volunteering for 3 non-profits on a frequent basis, participate in multiple sports, belong to multiple clubs, and have several "at-home" hobbies. I have no idea what the last sentence is referring to.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
OP here. I've been retired since 1/1/2011. I'm definitely not bored. I participate in volunteering for 3 non-profits on a frequent basis, participate in multiple sports, belong to multiple clubs, and have several "at-home" hobbies. I have no idea what the last sentence is referring to.
Oh I think Threestep2 is not referring to you but to me. This person is so obsessed with me (it appears we are from the same former country, which Threestep2 remembers with fondness, and I try to avoid remembering at all - when I run into someone else from that country, I don't pay any particular attention to it, but for Threestep2 that kind of national origin apparently represents an all-encompassing obsession, which was unfortunately a very common attitude back in that BS place; they had nothing better to think about than who was from where :-)... so, Threestep2 is so obsessed with me that she didn't realize I wasn't even the OP who started this thread .

Old 12-03-2023, 10:45 AM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Sorry Shadow. I got you and Elnrgy.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:58 AM

5,010 posts, read 591,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
.....this is my answer to your other question: homeless addicts say that they fund their habit largely by stealing (eg, items such as detergent etc. in bulk from drugstores - and if they get a chance, bicycles, cellphones, and electronics, although I suspect those would be too much work for an elderly addict, whereas he/she can just go to a drugstore with a large plastic trashbag, and transfer a whole shelf of merchandise into the trashbag), and reselling to larger crime operators that move these items further, including internationally. Also, if homeless addicts receive any welfare income, such as SSI, they spend it on drugs. If you are homeless and drift over to San Francisco, the city provides you with a monthly stipend just for being homeless (it used to be around $650 per month - someone told me it is $800 now) - if you are an addict, you'll spend that on drugs (why would you spend it on housing? then how would you get drugs, plus you might lose the stipend for homelessness). Drugs cost very little on the street, particularly those of low purity, and an addict can stay drugged all day for under $25.
Yes, okay...makes sense. I always knew the homeless have many resources available to them but I didn't realize they also receive money. The drug supply in Vancouver is unregulated, unpredictable, and highly toxic, which has led to a significant increase in the number of deaths. I wondered where they got the cash, now I know. Thanks

Old 12-03-2023, 11:16 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Adapt or die. Harsh, but that’s reality.
Indeed.

That's how Baby Boomers end up living in the van or under a tarp.

Old 12-03-2023, 11:30 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
In many nations, cultures, households have multiple generations under one roof. I’m not a historian, but I would guess that our culture also practiced this norm conventionally many years ago. There may be numerous and profound benefits for all involved. I think our culture has changed to the point that we collectively no longer value this practice.

It is also not always possible, of course, as some have explained above. I think, however, that an attached in-law or grandparent apartment seems like a great option, again, if possible.
That was discussed on another thread. I raised my daughter in a four-generation household. I believe it did a lot toward making her the self-sufficient, compassionate person of good character she is.

Old 12-03-2023, 12:41 PM

7,493 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
In many nations, cultures, households have multiple generations under one roof. I’m not a historian, but I would guess that our culture also practiced this norm conventionally many years ago. There may be numerous and profound benefits for all involved. I think our culture has changed to the point that we collectively no longer value this practice.

It is also not always possible, of course, as some have explained above. I think, however, that an attached in-law or grandparent apartment seems like a great option, again, if possible.

In our family, after my mother died 50 years ago when I was 10 and my siblings were 25 to 30 everyone set off following their careers all over the US and the World. This is/was not uncommon that families became widely geographically dispersed (mostly on account of needing to earn a living).

Old 12-03-2023, 12:44 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I bounced around so as to not be too much a burden, but I also didn't sleep outside on cardboard. I usually had at least a couch or an air mattress on the floor.
The woman who asked for boxes needed them to pack up her stuff in order to move, not to sleep on, or in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement