Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2023, 07:00 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times

Advertisements

I find a lot of people are happy with Swiss Cheese Plants. I've been gifting them for a few years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 07:03 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Wives assert that everything that's not about doing for them, is a waste of time.

Wut? I assure you I don't think that, nor do I know anyone who does.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:09 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Nothing like a bit of stereotype and low blow to frisk things up a bit:>)
SO gifted me 2500 pounds of led. Should I waste my time and turn it into shot? But then it is not all about me anymore. Head scratch!
What are you shooting, grape and cannister?

Old 11-28-2023, 07:57 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I’m of the “I buy whatever I need” school, but I do enjoy a gift card from Ulta. As I’ve gotten older, I find I really like good shampoo and makeup.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:13 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What are you shooting, grape and cannister?
Now that would have potential.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:23 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I’m of the “I buy whatever I need” school...
I think pretty much everybody's of that school today, so - again - I don't see the point of essentially exchanging gift cards! Just spend your own money. Seems rather meaningless.

Last edited by otterhere; 11-28-2023 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-28-2023, 08:36 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A food gift of some sort. What sort depends on the person. Do they like cheese, fruit, etc. I once sent a friend who was from a predominantly Jewish town in NJ but had moved to DC a gift of real bagels from Brooklyn with cream cheese and black-and-white cookies because she missed them. She could only find supermarket bagels there.
That reminds me that I was telling my garden helper about missing chopped liver the other day. He's African-American and could not get the concept, especially when I explained about the necessity for schmaltz for really good chopped liver. It's not available here, but the Giant Food in Northern VA has it. Darn!

Old 11-28-2023, 01:11 PM

863 posts, read 795,214 times
Pretty simple...a 1996 Porsche Turbo Carrera

Barring that...a 1964-68 Jaguar XKE

Old 11-28-2023, 01:59 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Pretty simple...a 1996 Porsche Turbo Carrera

Barring that...a 1964-68 Jaguar XKE

LOL!
What is it with the Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars??

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

So, leaving out "warm and fuzzy" non-material gifts such as "my family with me at Christmas" or "world peace", or something like "all my bills to be paid in full" or "a new car would be nice", what would you appreciate as a gift that would cost less than $100?

Old 11-28-2023, 02:51 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile The most fun....

I always loved Christmas - for the real meaning and for the fun stuff.

I loved it when I got a car and was able to drive. My brother, always an excellent co-conspirator, would go shopping with me and yes, he loved shopping (still does) and hunt down cool gifts. It was fun doing it WITH someone and we would be cracking up.

My parents had ugly (or so we thought) patio furniture around the pool so one year, we went to Sears and got them this cool (at the time) plastic type furniture you could just throw in the pool. Anyway, I had a convertible and we drove on a highway (not an interstate) hoping the furniture pieces would not blow out of the car. Laughing all the way.....

We would drive to Miami just to find one sister a necklace she wanted; stuff like that. Miami was over an hour away and I think the mall we went to was another 20 minutes.

Surprising our siblings and parents with fun gifts was so much fun!

Today, though, it's so much harder to surprise people. I have a hard time with my own children.
I remember the Christmas when my daughter was in college. I found a great Kate Spade purse for her and was so excited to give it to her. She gave ME the same one! Same year! I still have it, use it, love it.
I'm sure hers is long gone.

But, I love to give gifts that mean something and I love to receive gifts that mean something.
Rarely do I get a gift these days. I buy my husband something every year but he'll give me flowers throughout the year on some special day.

I just miss the way we did it when I grew up. It just seemed like more fun and my brother and I would play games with our dad and usually he was working so that was special just for the one day.

I love books and I love going to concerts, plays, sporting events. I love going to restaurants - decent ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement