Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Would Rather Retire On a Low Income?
City With Services As Well as Dangers 32 47.76%
Town With Few Services As Well As Few Dangers 35 52.24%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 08:54 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Modern medicine can almost always "do" something. Some of us don't care to pursue those options.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever been in a situation where modern medicine could mean the difference between a long extremely unpleasant road to the end or pretty much resuming your life as before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 09:26 AM

6,759 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There's a difference between not wanting some complicated, harsh treatment for a terminal illness and being so far away from decent medical care that something that is readily treatable leaves you dead or permanently disabled.
That's a good summary. Some here are implying that medicine is only for prolonging a miserable existence, and also implying that anything worth doing can be done at a small community hospital. It's not that simple.

If a person doesn't want any medical intervention they have every right to take that route. I prefer to have a choice, as I've no idea what ailments might come my way in the future.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-06-2023 at 10:28 AM..

Old 12-06-2023, 10:00 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Again, some of us are pretty much in the "no intervention" camp. Give the medical apparatus an inch, and they'll take a mile!

Old 12-06-2023, 10:34 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Since you have no car, I think it's imperative that you live in an area where there is easy access to transportation.

I live in a rural-ish area now and we have no public transportation, no taxies, no ride shares. It is not easy to get a ride to an appointment if you're unable to drive or have a friend or family member willing to drive you.

I think there is a middle ground between city and country. Live in a suburb outside of a small city that allows you to still have access to "city" amenities and good healthcare.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:36 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,688,527 times
I'm not specific to city or town, rather I plan based on age of 90. At 90 I want to be able to just walk to these 3 important services:

- restaurant
- grocery
- barber shop/salon

1000 feet one-way is my limit so those 3 has to be within.

Then I look for all the other activities I want that must be within 2 miles with most within 1 mile. I envision myself walking 1 mile one way 2x a week until 80.
- park
- big mall
- dance/party (not club)
- art
- highly-rated hospital and clinics
- beautiful nature (God-made/man-made)

Condos are great for that in that some of them have commercial space on the lower floors. Others even have malls with groceries annexed to them but these are in more populated areas.

Both my condos are just across the street to a grocery, 365 feet and 385 feet away, respectively. This is critical to me. The one in the Philippines is in a business district so the grocery even has a food hall inside. The condo itself has commercial shops on the first floor. Las time I was there, we have Chinese, Persian and of course, Filipino diners. The one in Thailand which is close to the beach is across a convenience store. Outside it and in it's parking lot is a food stall (a nice burger joint!). I see myself with my own grocery cart acting also as my walker () just walking back and forth to these stores daily.

So big city, or small town, I am good with either as long as it meets my needs. And danger? You can limit that by choosing good locations.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:47 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
I think it depends on the individual's situation. I'm in my late 60s and live rurally. But I'm healthy and that works for me. If I didn't have a car or needed extensive healthcare, I would probably have to move to a more populated area.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:35 AM

7,118 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you ever been in a situation where modern medicine could mean the difference between a long extremely unpleasant road to the end or pretty much resuming your life as before?
I definitely intend to take it on a case by case basis. My mom had breast cancer at 78 and had a mastectomy. She didn’t need any other treatment and was fine until at 84 they found she had stage one colon cancer. They only found out because a polyp ruptured and she was hemorrhaging blood bad enough to go to the hospital. She lived another 6 years but suffice it to say that she would have been better off if they hadn’t found it. I would have treated the breast cancer but not the colon cancer.

I told my kids if I get dementia don’t even treat a simple infection. Just dope me up on morphine and let nature take its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement