Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Would Rather Retire On a Low Income?
City With Services As Well as Dangers 32 47.76%
Town With Few Services As Well As Few Dangers 35 52.24%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 05:04 AM

1,433 posts, read 765,235 times

Advertisements

I voted small town, but I don't care about "danger." I simply don't want to breathe the same air as a million other people. I don't want to share a wall or floor or ceiling with anyone. I don't want to fight traffic to go to the store. I don't want to see rows of other houses when I step out my front door etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 05:57 AM

8,394 posts, read 4,416,345 times
City with services and very few dangers, which is not one of your choices (so I couldn't vote), but I have lived in such a city for over 30 years, and am now retired in it: Boston MA.

Having said that, I want to add that my first question would be what I could afford - obviously, I wouldn't seek more than that. The second question would be safety of my building and neighborhood (not necessarily of the entire city). The third question would be (if my finances were such that I could afford only a small town) the convenience of access to a large city for periodic visits.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-03-2023 at 06:06 AM..

Old 12-03-2023, 06:38 AM

106,841 posts, read 109,092,448 times
we are quite comfortable in where we go in nyc and long island .

i much prefer this life to rural any day….

Old 12-03-2023, 08:24 AM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times
I do wish people would distinguish between rural and small town. They usually are not the same thing. I live in a small town, I don't live rural.
Population of about 8,800. There are street lights, side walks, county court house, a downtown area for shopping, a city hall, schools including a JC, and a very good public library and public transportation. The city maintains roads, trash pickup, has a police and fire dept. There's a 100 room hospital as well in town.
I live in an urban area but in miniature. It's not rural, it's a small town and a small city since it truly is a city by definition.

The OP questions living rural or big city then goes on to say small town, so it isn't clear. As others have already pointed out, it doesn't give the option of smaller urban areas or big city. There's lots and lots in-between that is not rural, and the question just assumes that all small towns don't provide basic services.

Definition of a city:
An incorporated municipality in the United States with definite boundaries and legal powers set forth in a charter granted by the state

Last edited by marino760; 12-03-2023 at 08:59 AM..

Old 12-03-2023, 09:02 AM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times
Neither option but the one we chose already.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:40 AM

8,394 posts, read 4,416,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Rural and low crime don’t always go together. Here in east TN, the more rural almost always more crime.
Based on some of my work contracts in rural areas, I concur with the opinion that many rural areas in the US tend to be quite criminal. But the alternative to cities that the OP offered were smaller towns, not necessarily rural areas. Smaller towns in Connecticut aren't known for being criminal :-).

Old 12-03-2023, 10:44 AM

43,218 posts, read 18,372,336 times
When I retired I moved rural...and I loved it for near 10 years.
I retired early so I could do that.

And I was rural...45 acres, livestock, etc. There were more cows than people in the county.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:53 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,787,301 times
I have both. Live I n a smaller town of about 10k that is across the Prairie from what I call “the circus”. The Circus being Coeur d’Alene/Hayden/Post Falls, with all the medical care I could possibly want as well as abundant shopping, (e.g., Costco). If I need anything more, Spokane, (the second largest city population wise in Washington), is about a 45-60 minute drive away.

Besides, this is Idaho! You never know who is packing, and many do. Crime is low. (Spokane is not quite as safe as North Idaho.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-03-2023, 11:49 AM

4,565 posts, read 2,286,713 times
We live in a medium sized town which unfortunately is getting bigger and bigger. I hate the traffic now, the noise and the people moving in complain about everything here. We are seriously contemplating moving to a more rural area with 2-5 acres.

Old 12-03-2023, 12:20 PM

16,117 posts, read 10,790,938 times
I'm not poor but I have lived under both of the options listed in the poll -- rural and city. I live in the best of both worlds -- about 15 miles outside of a city in a semi-rural undeveloped area. I can do that because I am not poor.

Being poor, what types of needs would need to be met? I think that a city would meet most of the needs. The dangers of city life are often greatly overblown if you are sensible and not doing risky things or making yourself a target. Criminals are mostly opportunists. Violent crime is most often between people who are known to each other. Take care of your stuff, be aware of your surroundings, don't join a gang, be cautious selecting your friends and associates. City life might expose you to more contagious disease but there are more healthcare options. There are more opportunities for employment. My city has free transit so a poor person can be mobile -- going to work or shopping or for healthcare or other services. Cities are generally more walkable. Police presence is going to be greater in a city.

Cities seem to provide similar menus of services and experiences. Rural or small towns have a higher degree of variation with services and experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement